Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast
    I've seen that kind of putt before ... but I'm usually holding a putter as I watch it. It is certainly close to the worst stroke from a professional that I have seen. Her putting this afternoon has been below par and I wonder if she's starting to feel it a bit.

Spoke too soon ... Leona makes a 20-footer for birdie at 13 to keep her team 1-down.

Mina Harigae and Noh win their four-ball match over Celine Boutier and Popov, and the latter specifically called out Mina as being the key to the match.

Leona rolls in a 5-footer to win the 15th hole and square her match.

Leona wins a half-point, thanks to Mel Reid's unbelievably clutch approach shot on 18, off the lip of a bunker to within 2 feet of the hole. Tally is 9-7 for Europe heading into singles, and Leona has the high point total in the team matches with 3 1/2 out of a max of 4. Tomorrow will be a slog for the US, but not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Leona wins a half-point, thanks to Mel Reid's unbelievably clutch approach shot on 18, off the lip of a bunker to within 2 feet of the hole. Tally is 9-7 for Europe heading into singles, and Leona has the high point total in the team matches with 3 1/2 out of a max of 4. Tomorrow will be a slog for the US, but not impossible.
    Yeah, but I am not sure I am rooting for the US.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I tepidly root for the US, but I mostly just enjoy watching the team competition. However, I've been heavily rooting for Leona this week; I admire her for sticking around at Duke for 4 years and I hope she uses this as a springboard for a successful professional career.

Why? Do you have something against the US team generally, or against one or more of the players specifically?
    Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Why? Do you have something against the US team generally, or against one or more of the players specifically?
    Just curious.
    I’m very much rooting for Leona and Celine and I really dislike Kupcho. Would be happy if the US wins but if the Euros win and Leona and Celine have a lot to do with it, it be really happy for them.

Btw, Maguire vs Kupcho was sort of inevitable, right?

Just curious.
    I'd like to see Leona and Celine win a Solheim Cup -- especially after Leona's outstanding performance so far this week. Mina -- sure, but not as much.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Me Too Kind of

I'd like to see Leona and Celine win a Solheim Cup -- especially after Leona's outstanding performance so far this week. Mina -- sure, but not as much.
    I will be rooting for Leona and Celine which drives my wife crazy. as she is USA USA. We know them both and they have both have interesting but different stories. Both played four years at Duke and graduated with honors (I think). Leona and her sister Lisa were child prodigies in Ireland and got tremendous publicity. Both are great gals. Leona is extremely competitive. I was standing next to her when it was announced that although she had tied for first based on a card off, would get second place. She said she did not want the trophy. I think even at Duke she had the better long game but Lisa was the better putter. She has made herself into a top putter. Celine was like player of the year as a sophomore and finished second in the NCAA tournament that Duke won as a team. As a senior she had no idea where the ball was going most of the time and finished last in the NCAA tournament. Still determined, turned pro, got it fixed, and no is a regular on the LPGA tour.

Mina came to Duke for one semester and left. Have not met her but she seems like a fun person on TV. She also played great today.

Very exciting tournament

SoCal

Leona two up through five holes over Kupcho right now. Generally speaking, early on singles Europe is doing really well.
    I really want to see Lexi beat Cruella, though. Right now they are all square through six holes.

Cruella is Anna Nordqvist, by the way. I have an irrational dislike for her.

Europe dominating so far led by the Duke ladies both 4up

Leona made mincemeat out of Kupcho...5 and 4!

They just said that Leona is the third player in Solheim Cup history to win four and a half points. And she was a rookie and the first woman from ireland to ever play in it. Pretty amazing.
    Last edited by rsvman; 09-06-2021 at 03:39 PM.

Did they just say that Leona is the first player in history to get 4 1/2 points in a single Solheim Cup event? I'm at a family gathering and cannot hear too well, but I think that's what I heard. Congratulations, Leona, on a super weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Did they just say that Leona is the first player in history to get 4 1/2 points in a single Solheim Cup event? I'm at a family gathering and cannot hear too well, but I think that's what I heard. Congratulations, Leona, on a super weekend.
    Nope. Third, not first. Still pretty impressive.

And in the battle of former Duke players, Celine Boutier is five up on Mina Harigae. Yikes.

And in the battle of former Duke players, Celine Boutier is five up on Mina Harigae. Yikes.
    And wins it five and four. Mina seen to be crying after this crushing loss.

Didn’t see all the matches, but caught the discussion and Duke references as all 3 teed off. Pretty cool.

In the Korn-Ferry Championship Alex Smalley secured his PGATour card. He has made an unusual rapid rise from the mini-tours to the big show.

Saw this

I heard that Kupcho made some comments last night in the team room and that fueled a little bit of fire.” - Solheim MVP Leona Maguire

You would think Kupcho would be smart enough not to fuel Leona’s fire. Probably hope it would stay in the tram room .