Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast
    Gina Kim is playing for the USA team in the Curtis Cup (bi-annual match between US women amateurs and Great Britain/Ireland amateurs) that is now going on at the Conwy Golf Course in northern Wales (GB). Sarah Ingram, Duke '88, is the captain of the USA team. US is heavily favored to win but were down 4.5 to 1.5 after the first day of four-ball and foursome matches; they are coming back today and are now down only 5 to 4 and the USA leads in two of the three afternoon matches. Televised on The Golf Channel.

Kevin Streelman tees off #10 at 11:31 this morning. He is T45 heading into Round 3.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Kevin Streelman tees off #10 at 11:31 this morning. He is T45 heading into Round 3.
    Streels shoots a -2 70 and is at five-under. Way back in the field at T-48 and probably needs a top-ten finish to play at East Lake in the Tour Championship.

2021 season saw him get four top-ten finishes and over $2M in prize money.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

USA Wins Curtis Cup

Played in Conwy, Wales. The US team rallied after a slow start. Gina Kim was on the victorious team but had a very rough week (0-4-0).
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Tom Friedman Official Greeter at Caves Valley

New York Times foreign affairs columnist Thomas L. Friedman is a member of Caves Valley, as well as my old club in the DC suburbs. He was greeting the leaders as they came off the green on 18. He is a wonderful golfer and was very serious about the game as a young man. He didn't pursue a pro career because of driving distance. I have no idea if any of the golfers know who he is.
    Sage Grouse

Nice pairing tomorrow for Kevin, Jordan Spieth.

Quote Originally Posted by seacap29 View Post
    Nice pairing tomorrow for Kevin, Jordan Spieth.
    Kevin Streelman tees off #1 at 09:05.
    Bob Green

Alex Smalley (D'19) continued to play solid golf this week recording 70,67,67,66 for T4 in the Korn Ferry event. He seems to have a bright future as a pro.

The Korn-Ferry Championship is this week in Newburgh, Indiana. Ryan Blaum, Wes Roach, Max Greyserman, and Alex Smalley are in the field.

Celine Boutier (with partner Georgia Hall) tied their Saturday foursomes match on the first day of the Solheim Cup; they won the 18th hole for the half-point despite Celine burning the edge on a 15 footer that would have clinched that half-point, because USA then missed a shorter putt that would have won the full point.

Leona Maguire (playing with Mel Reid) sank a four-footer on the 18th to clinch the point for Europe in their match against the top USA team, the Korda sisters.

All in all, a very entertaining first round, with all four matches reaching the 18th hole. Europe finishes that hole much better than USA, making clutch putts to take 3 1/2 points (of 4).

Leona is getting short shrift from NBC this afternoon because there are no marquee players in her match (Maguire/Hall vs Noh/Altomare). The match is all square through 13.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Leona is getting short shrift from NBC this afternoon because there are no marquee players in her match (Maguire/Hall vs Noh/Altomare). The match is all square through 13.
    I’ve been watching for about two hours and I’m not sure I’ve actually seen her hit a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Harigae for USA shown a few times earlier.

My bad, I keep forgetting Mina had a cup of tea at Duke. Unfortunately, her match this afternoon did not go well, the only match so far today to get decided before the 18th hole.

Maguire/Hall win 1-up and earn 2 points for the day for Europe. Celine earned a half-point for Europe (did not play in the afternoon).

It was another compelling set of matches in the afternoon. For the day, 7 of 8 matches were decided on the 18th hole; I cannot remember another day in Solheim or Ryder Cups where so many team matches went the limit. Europe's significant 5 1/2 to 2 1/2 point lead is a bit misleading because the matches themselves were so competitive. The deciding factor was the manner in which Europe closed out the foursome matches, which extends Europe's domination of foursomes in Ryder and Solheim Cups.

Leona is taking it to the US. She is now 3-0 in matches after a 5-4 rout today. Two of those three matches featured the current #1 player in the world on the other side (although Korda is admittedly off her game a bit). The announcers are speculating as to whether Leona will be rested this afternoon or will be asked to play again and continue her hot streak, running the risk of fatigue in the singles tomorrow. But she is really making a name for herself this weekend.

Celine and Mina did not play this morning; at least one, possibly both, should play this afternoon.

Yep. Leona is positively killing us!

She us wearing a Happy Birthday pin on her hat. Is today her birthday?

Wow, they just announced the afternoon four-ball matches and Leona is playing yet again! They're riding her for all she's worth. Leona (with her partner Mel Reid) won the only point for Europe this morning; the other three matches all went to US and it's now just one point difference team-wise going into the afternoon.

Celine and Mina are playing against each other in the first match of the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Yep. Leona is positively killing us!

She us wearing a Happy Birthday pin on her hat. Is today her birthday?
    Answering my own question here... apparently today is the first birthday of a sick little girl of another lpga player. Leona's birthday is November 30th.

Wow. Leona just hit one of the worst putts I have ever seen. She had about 18 feet for birdie. She left the putt about 6-7 feet short and was about two feet below the break, as well. Puzzling.