Page 1058 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 58558958100810481056105710581059106010681108115815582058 ... LastLast
Results 21,141 to 21,160 of 67398
    Argh, heat/cooling pump busted. Making my root rot issue seem mild.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Argh, heat/cooling pump busted. Making my root rot issue seem mild.
    Which are you using - heating or A/C. It’s the time of the season that I’m currently having to use heat at night and A/C during the day. The power company loves me.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Which are you using - heating or A/C. It’s the time of the season that I’m currently having to use heat at night and A/C during the day. The power company loves me.
    Just A/C these days. Weather has been great recently, though, so not the worst time of the wear for it to happen. But not a cheap fix or replacement.

I hate firing people more than I hate raw sewage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Bummer. Visit http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...?3840-Ymm-Beer for some suggestions to help you feel better this evening.

DinK I went to a big wedding last weekend in CA put on by the bride's KC family and I have to say I have never met more friendly and welcoming people!

It was as if we'd been pals forever. What a lovely experience!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

And I hate having to lay someone off (due to a poor corporate decision) more than either. At least with a “firing” there usually is a cause. In my case, corporate said I needed to lay off 3 people, even though my district was highly profitable and growing. By using their own “headcount formula” I demonstrated that we needed to hire 4 people. They reduced the layoff to one.

I met his wife and kid when I drove him home.

I lost quite a bit of sleep, and lost practically all respect for “corporate”.

By the way, corporate picked the one to lay off. He was the oldest employee. He sued. He won. YEAH !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    And I hate having to lay someone off (due to a poor corporate decision) more than either. At least with a “firing” there usually is a cause. In my case, corporate said I needed to lay off 3 people, even though my district was highly profitable and growing. By using their own “headcount formula” I demonstrated that we needed to hire 4 people. They reduced the layoff to one.

I met his wife and kid when I drove him home.

I lost quite a bit of sleep, and lost practically all respect for “corporate”.

By the way, corporate picked the one to lay off. He was the oldest employee. He sued. He won. YEAH !!!!
    Well, technically this was more layoff. We encouraged him to pursue unemployment. Poor staffing decision on our part. Offered good reference. Bad fit, bad hiring plan. I own it.

Life happens.

Well, technically this was more layoff. We encouraged him to pursue unemployment. Poor staffing decision on our part. Offered good reference. Bad fit, bad hiring plan. I own it.

Life happens.
    Send him my way...

I'm so checked out.

I physically leave for vacation on Friday, but I've been mentally gone since yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I'm so checked out.

I physically leave for vacation on Friday, but I've been mentally gone since yesterday.
    Hang in there.
    I’m a teacher and it’s May, sooo...no conspiratorial follow-up needed.

I'm so checked out.

I leave on Wednesday of next week and I can already feel myself slipping away...

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Sigh, number 2 son didn't get into Duke as a transfer. Straight A's in Harvard night classes and an extremely strong rec from a Harvard professor. But they only accepted 50 students out of 1200 transfer applications. Both my middle boys are probably heading to the University of Vermont now. Number 3 has already paid his deposit. Number 2 likes it best and will probably still pick it, but he has yet to hear from 6(!) schools. Transfer applications are a bit different. He has to make up his mind by June 1 and he still has 6 schools to hear from. They both got scholarships from UVM which will almost make up the difference in price between UVM and UMass. They both thought they wanted to go to UMass until they visited it. ;-) The education you can get at a large state school is on par with many if not most smaller LACs but if your kid isn't a big state school kinda kid, then it's not going to work out. And my kids aren't big state school kinda kids. UVM has 10,000 undergrads but only about 1500 graduate/medical students so the overall student body is actually less than Duke's. This will be my penultimate post about the college application process. I'll post one more time when Number 2 makes his decision. Me? I have grown rather fond of the idea of spending some time in Burlington. I liked it on my first visit and want to explore it just a little bit. I'll hit Parents Weekend at least once, maybe twice. October in Vermont is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    ...Both my middle boys are probably heading to the University of Vermont now...Me? I have grown rather fond of the idea of spending some time in Burlington. I liked it on my first visit and want to explore it just a little bit. I'll hit Parents Weekend at least once, maybe twice. October in Vermont is awesome.
    Seems like TillyGalore should have some good advice on this front too.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I leave on Wednesday of next week and I can already feel myself slipping away...
    We're so close.

My throat is getting sore and I'm not too happy about it.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Seems like TillyGalore should have some good advice on this front too.
    We've chatted already. ;-)

We're so close.

My throat is getting sore and I'm not too happy about it.
    Mine too.

Let's blame allergies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Sigh, number 2 son didn't get into Duke as a transfer. Straight A's in Harvard night classes and an extremely strong rec from a Harvard professor. But they only accepted 50 students out of 1200 transfer applications. Both my middle boys are probably heading to the University of Vermont now. Number 3 has already paid his deposit. Number 2 likes it best and will probably still pick it, but he has yet to hear from 6(!) schools. Transfer applications are a bit different. He has to make up his mind by June 1 and he still has 6 schools to hear from. They both got scholarships from UVM which will almost make up the difference in price between UVM and UMass. They both thought they wanted to go to UMass until they visited it. ;-) The education you can get at a large state school is on par with many if not most smaller LACs but if your kid isn't a big state school kinda kid, then it's not going to work out. And my kids aren't big state school kinda kids. UVM has 10,000 undergrads but only about 1500 graduate/medical students so the overall student body is actually less than Duke's. This will be my penultimate post about the college application process. I'll post one more time when Number 2 makes his decision. Me? I have grown rather fond of the idea of spending some time in Burlington. I liked it on my first visit and want to explore it just a little bit. I'll hit Parents Weekend at least once, maybe twice. October in Vermont is awesome.
    Thanks for sharing. Maybe I'll pick up where you left off. Based on the financial wisdom of Mrs. Turk and my own encounters with some recent college grads, I am also becoming a believer in the value proposition of Big State U. My middle Turks, Felix and Oscar, are happy and successful at Pitt. I went to their first-year engineering conference (designed to simulate industry conferences, with research, papers, and suit-and-tie presentations), and was absolutely blown away. It blew the doors off of anything I would have been able to do in any subject my freshman year, even giving an allowance for the chisels and stone tablets we had to use back in the day.

We are starting the process again with the baby Turk, Sunshine, who is finishing her junior year. She has no clue what she wants to study or where she wants to go. She doesn't even know what she DOESN"T want to study, or where she DOESN'T want to go - we are usually able to at least start there...
    "Quality is not an option!"

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Maybe I'll pick up where you left off. Based on the financial wisdom of Mrs. Turk and my own encounters with some recent college grads, I am also becoming a believer in the value proposition of Big State U. My middle Turks, Felix and Oscar, are happy and successful at Pitt. I went to their first-year engineering conference (designed to simulate industry conferences, with research, papers, and suit-and-tie presentations), and was absolutely blown away. It blew the doors off of anything I would have been able to do in any subject my freshman year, even giving an allowance for the chisels and stone tablets we had to use back in the day.

We are starting the process again with the baby Turk, Sunshine, who is finishing her junior year. She has no clue what she wants to study or where she wants to go. She doesn't even know what she DOESN"T want to study, or where she DOESN'T want to go - we are usually able to at least start there...
    Spawn #1 chose Geo Mason engineering for a variety of reasons, notable among them was getting into the "honors college" subset, meaning no class with more than 25 students; large lecture sections really worry her. That she also got a reasonable award (to our benefit more than hers - we'd have supported her choice either way, in more ways than one).

-jk

I don’t have a child yet, but I also plan to push for State U., along with the distinct hope that said offspring decides that they find their inspiration in the notion of being a plumber or an electrician.