Page 2307 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 130718072207225722972305230623072308230923172357240728073307 ... LastLast
Results 46,121 to 46,140 of 67404
    Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Bundaberg wins the day. We can all close the boards until tomorrow.
    So, you are saying it is over?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    So, you are saying it is over?
    I don't know, has Germany bombed Pearl Harbor?

Wilson, next time you audibly break wind in your 7th grade class suggest locking eyes with a front row student and asking very seriously, “are you a smart fella or a fart smella?”

Please report back on how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I don't know, has Germany bombed Pearl Harbor?
    Haven't heard yet, but you know radio communications are so inconsistent these days.

Everyone in the world seems to be convinced that they can teach and coach.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Teaching (and I guess, by inference, coaching) is possibly among the hardest things in the world to do well. It is much more an art than a science. I have great admiration for good teachers and wish they were paid in a commensurate fashion as well as good coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Teaching (and I guess, by inference, coaching) is possibly among the hardest things in the world to do well. It is much more an art than a science. I have great admiration for good teachers and wish they were paid in a commensurate fashion as well as good coaches.
    I completely agree with this assessment.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Hmmm, I think I could teach anyone who wanted to learn how to knit. I do not think I would be particularly good at teaching someone who didn't want to learn how to knit though. That's the sticky point, isn't it? How do you teach people who don't want to learn?

I have taught calculus and statistics to people who didn't want to learn it but wanted to do well enough on the tests to get a B- in the course. The mathematical concept I had the hardest time trying to explain was integration, specifically how to explain the reverse of the chain rule. I never came up with a clear way to get people to properly deal with the 2x portion when integrating an equation like 2x(x^2 - 1). The one my students liked best though, for the comedic value, was the day I told them to check to see if the equation inside the parentheses had a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Hmmm, I think I could teach anyone who wanted to learn how to knit. I do not think I would be particularly good at teaching someone who didn't want to learn how to knit though. That's the sticky point, isn't it? How do you teach people who don't want to learn?

I have taught calculus and statistics to people who didn't want to learn it but wanted to do well enough on the tests to get a B- in the course. The mathematical concept I had the hardest time trying to explain was integration, specifically how to explain the reverse of the chain rule. I never came up with a clear way to get people to properly deal with the 2x portion when integrating an equation like 2x(x^2 - 1). The one my students liked best though, for the comedic value, was the day I told them to check to see if the equation inside the parentheses had a baby.
    A professor of mine who specialized in ethics and leadership once said, you’ll only remember two things from this class and one of them is you cannot motivate anyone. His point was that no matter how charismatic you think you are as a leader, you cannot simply change motivation by force of personality. Someone has to have desire to be motivated. I mostly agree with that.

The scourge of spurge...

The scourge of spurge...
    Hey...I got a question for you...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hey...I got a question for you...
    Nope, I did not.

Nope, I did not.
    Spurge didn’t give you the urge?

Spurge didn’t give you the urge?
    To purge the spurge was the only urge.

To purge the spurge was the only urge.
    After you purge the spurge do you play a dirge?

After you purge the spurge do you play a dirge?
    Rather I tried to merge dinner with my innards, that was a winner.

Rather I tried to merge dinner with my innards, that was a winner.
    We’re on the verge of something here…

iTunes or Apple Music or whatever they call it these days is truly one of the most loathsome, infernal pieces of software I've ever encountered. It makes me want to scream.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    iTunes or Apple Music or whatever they call it these days is truly one of the most loathsome, infernal pieces of software I've ever encountered. It makes me want to scream.
    But you have to install the update first.

I always seem to be getting update notices - and I don't really use it much.

Re: iTunes

I use it for podcasts and that is about it.