Page 1707 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 70712071607165716971705170617071708170917171757180722072707 ... LastLast
Results 34,121 to 34,140 of 67404
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    This has been on my mind since my trip to Ocracoke last November. While on the Springer Point trail, we met a young Amish couple with their baby. On the beach, we saw the whole group. Over a dozen Amish folk, fishing from the shore. Men and women getting soaked. We figured they were probably camping, but my question: How did they get there? Do they allow themselves to drive on a trip? Do they allow horses and buggies on the ferry? I know there is a newer sect of Mennonites who drive two-ton pickups and dress more casually, but I have not heard of Amish who drive. I guess they COULD have been Mennonites, but they were dressed awfully conservatively to be driving. If anyone can offer an explanation, I would love to hear it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Interesting. When my wife and I were here (Ocracoke) in November, there was what appeared to be an Amish family on island as well. They were working on a house (there's lots of construction going on obviously). Almost certainly the same folks.

Not here at the moment, unless they are lying very low. Imt fairly certain I have seen every person who is on the island right now at least twice already.
    Did you see their horses? I am intrigued as to how they got there.

While Amish do not drive cars, they are allowed to ride in them. I actually know a guy that is the equivalent of an Amish uber/taxi as a side gig. Anyway, so that's one option for how they got to the island. There are also special technology allowances with respect to business ventures.

Are you sure they weren't Mennonite? Certain Mennonite sects drive...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    While Amish do not drive cars, they are allowed to ride in them. I actually know a guy that is the equivalent of an Amish uber/taxi as a side gig. Anyway, so that's one option for how they got to the island. There are also special technology allowances with respect to business ventures.

Mennonite sects? You perv.

Certain Mennonite sects! Band name! Called it first.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Certain Mennonite sects! Band name! Called it first.
    Really? I'd go with Amish Uber, personally.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    This has been on my mind since my trip to Ocracoke last November. While on the Springer Point trail, we met a young Amish couple with their baby. On the beach, we saw the whole group. Over a dozen Amish folk, fishing from the shore. Men and women getting soaked. We figured they were probably camping, but my question: How did they get there? Do they allow themselves to drive on a trip? Do they allow horses and buggies on the ferry? I know there is a newer sect of Mennonites who drive two-ton pickups and dress more casually, but I have not heard of Amish who drive. I guess they COULD have been Mennonites, but they were dressed awfully conservatively to be driving. If anyone can offer an explanation, I would love to hear it.
    They won't drive, but the will get on airplanes. Also, boats. I don't know if they will ride in cars. Ah, I see that question has been answered, they will ride in cars.

They won't get vaccines.

Really? I'd go with Amish Uber, personally.
    Significantly reduced chance they are drunk and puke in your car...

With so many cats in the household, my clean laundry is a prime mark for an extended nap.

I am intrigued by your post. How many cats do you have? We had three in my house growing up (1 currently). Really we had two because one of them was just a terrible cat who hated all of us. If she could have worked a can opener she would have killed us all in our sleep. Other two were great.

Four at this time. All named for actors that worked with Cary Grant in films. Grace Kelly in To Catch A Thief, Eva Marie Saint in North By Northwest, Audrey Hepburn in Charade, James Mason in North by Northwest and Mary Brian in The Amazing Adventure. Eva and Mason are no longer with us. All were adopted from rescue groups, I had a significant other at the time whose days were spent mainly doing that.

Fellow Duke fans/alums hear Grant and Mason and think basketball...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Four at this time. All named for actors that worked with Cary Grant in films. Grace Kelly in To Catch A Thief, Eva Marie Saint in North By Northwest, Audrey Hepburn in Charade, James Mason in North by Northwest and Mary Brian in The Amazing Adventure. Eva and Mason are no longer with us. All were adopted from rescue groups, I had a significant other at the time whose days were spent mainly doing that.

Fellow Duke fans/alums hear Grant and Mason and think basketball...
    Cool! I always like cats. They are nice and calm and decide when and if they would like affection.

I have family in the Shenandoah Valley in VA, so I am familiar with the Mennonites, and yes, I have seen them driving two-ton pickups. These looked waaaay more conservative. As for speaking with them, we nodded hello and said something to the couple on the trail about the muddy parts of it, and they were rather standoffish, so no conversation there. Like I said before, they could have been Mennonite, but they looked very conservative and not the ones to drive.

I have family in the Shenandoah Valley in VA, so I am familiar with the Mennonites, and yes, I have seen them driving two-ton pickups. These looked waaaay more conservative. As for speaking with them, we nodded hello and said something to the couple on the trail about the muddy parts of it, and they were rather standoffish, so no conversation there. Like I said before, they could have been Mennonite, but they looked very conservative and not the ones to drive.
    I pass the horse buggies on the regular, often filled with little children staring at the big cars with wide eyes. I wonder what it must be like growing up in that world. Not a lot of true true defections but there are some. We must look like aliens to them.

Helps understand the inspiration for M Night’s The Village, which was filmed not far from me.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Significantly reduced chance they are drunk and puke in your car...
    valid point, but try scraping that shoofly pie off your seats...you'll need a sand blaster!

I made a giant pile of wings on Saturday evening, which served for very tasty leftovers on Sunday evening.
    As we settled in, my wife said, "Well, we're eating wings, we may as well watch the Super Bowl for a minute, right?"
    I was quickly bored and distracted. We changed the channel. Tail tepidly wags dog.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I made a giant pile of wings on Saturday evening, which served for very tasty leftovers on Sunday evening.
    As we settled in, my wife said, "Well, we're eating wings, we may as well watch the Super Bowl for a minute, right?"
    I was quickly bored and distracted. We changed the channel. Tail tepidly wags dog.
    Everything about this post makes me think you should have watched the Puppy Bowl.

KC felt the same way

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Everything about this post makes me think you should have watched the Puppy Bowl.
    We actually watched WandaVision, and now I need help.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    We actually watched WandaVision, and now I need help.

It's a rabbit hole you may never escape.

ocean fresh swordfish looms

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ocean fresh swordfish looms
    I am driving 9 hours to Tampa from North Carolina today. It's going to be 80 and I am impossibly excited to eat outside.i see about a dozen lettuce wrap tacos from a cool place called Bartaco in my future. I have some friends who are Neonatologists down here who are taking me to eat seafood on the water tomorrow night.