Question About Coaching Changes

Mods, please feel to put this in the Coaching Carousel thread if necessary, but since it's a general question, I thought it was best to have its own thread.

I was always under the impression that there was unwritten/unspoken "code" that a head coach wouldn't jump schools in the same conference, with the AD not asking for permission out of respect for the fellow conference programs, and the coach not going out of respect for the current program. I also thought the same could be said for assistants moving to HC positions, though less so because they are assistants and it would be a step up, not a lateral.

Am I delusional? (Wouldn't surprise me in the least...)

coaching moves

Tom O'Brien from Boston College to NC State? Jim Tatum from Maryland to UNC? Press Maravich from head coach at Clemson to NC State (as an assistant!)? Bobby Ross from Maryland to Georgia Tech (although he had a brief NFL stopover in between).

Obviously, it happens ... more in other leagues than others (Tim Floyd looks like he's going from USC to Arizona).

But you're not wrong to think that there is a bit of a code. A few years ago, when NC State was looking for a replacement for Les Robinson, they really wanted to go after Wake Forest coach Dave Odom, but the ACC actively tried to discourage the move. And I know that when the Pack was trying to replace Herb Sendek, Miami's Frank Haith really wanted the job. Not sure if there was any ACC resistance to his ambition.

So it happens. It may not be something the conference loves, but it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Tom O'Brien from Boston College to NC State? Jim Tatum from Maryland to UNC? Press Maravich from head coach at Clemson to NC State (as an assistant!)? Bobby Ross from Maryland to Georgia Tech (although he had a brief NFL stopover in between).

Obviously, it happens ... more in other leagues than others (Tim Floyd looks like he's going from USC to Arizona).

But you're not wrong to think that there is a bit of a code. A few years ago, when NC State was looking for a replacement for Les Robinson, they really wanted to go after Wake Forest coach Dave Odom, but the ACC actively tried to discourage the move. And I know that when the Pack was trying to replace Herb Sendek, Miami's Frank Haith really wanted the job. Not sure if there was any ACC resistance to his ambition.

So it happens. It may not be something the conference loves, but it happens.
    I guess I wasn't disputing that it happens, but more inquiring as to whether it's frowned upon or not (it was my impression that it is frowned upon). And to clarify, I'm also referring to direct jumps (without a stop in between).

Thanks for the info.

I can think of two examples, both from the SEC: Tubby Smith from Georgia to Kentucky in basketball, and Houston Nutt from Arkansas to Ole Miss in football. I do believe that this practice is not normally viewed in a favorable light, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    I can think of two examples, both from the SEC: Tubby Smith from Georgia to Kentucky in basketball, and Houston Nutt from Arkansas to Ole Miss in football. I do believe that this practice is not normally viewed in a favorable light, though.
    And don't forget Tommy Tuberville -- from Ole Miss straight to Auburn.