Page 2732 of 3388 FirstFirst ... 17322232263226822722273027312732273327342742278228323232 ... LastLast
Results 54,621 to 54,640 of 67756
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    "Polka, polka, polka!!!"
    Very big in Sheboygan.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Very big in Sheboygan.
    I'm big in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Got no time for the corner boys,
    Down in the street makin' all that noise,
    Don't want no whores on eighth avenue,
    Cause tonight I'm gonna be with you.

'Cause tonight I'm gonna take that ride,
    Across the river to the Jersey side,
    Take my baby to the carnival,
    And I'll take you on all the rides….

#OutOfContextTomWaits
    I didn’t know that TW wrote the lyrics to that.

What are everyone’s thoughts on job loyalty? I’m 18 months into a new job. It’s going well. They like me, I like them generally. My boss is great. I hadn’t been looking but got recruited pretty aggressively. I always listen. They made an offer and it was a good one that my current employer wouldn’t be able to match even if I asked them to.

I do feel bad but how bad should I reassslllyyy. Feel?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    What are everyone’s thoughts on job loyalty? I’m 18 months into a new job. It’s going well. They like me, I like them generally. My boss is great. I hadn’t been looking but got recruited pretty aggressively. I always listen. They made an offer and it was a good one that my current employer wouldn’t be able to match even if I asked them to.

I took a job with a company in Cary. Had been in academia for my first few years of adulthood. This was corporate in every sense of the word. When I started, everyone was hyped about the company's rising success (I actually posted about this way back in the Elizabeth Holmes thread b/c the CEO was very similar to her). I loved my co-workers, but I never really got a sense of what I was supposed to be doing. A couple of months in, it seemed like things were going in the other direction. A lot of people were starting to leave. I was offered a job at the hospital where I still work 23+ years later. I weighed my options and took it. After only 5 months on this job. A month after I left, they were bought out by a huge company and a few months later, almost everyone who had not already left were laid off.

I did not feel bad leaving. You gotta do what you gotta do. If you feel really good about this new job, go for it!

Pfft. My opinion on that is the companies almost never have actual loyalty to their employees. They like to pretend they do, but when it comes to making the hard business decisions, most employers think of owners/shareholders first and employees close to last.

Having said that, if you like your boss and you like your current situation overall, I would personally put a lot of value on the bird in the hand. There's a limited amount of information you can gather in an interview, so how sure can you be that your personal happiness will improve if you make a change? Assuming you already make a pretty good living (which I think is a safe assumption, based on the fact that you are a regular poster on a Duke message board), money would be one of the last reasons I'd make a switch. This is coming from painful experience, wherein I took a job with a substantial increase in salary that sure looked good at the time, and ended up in one of the most toxic work environments I've ever worked in.

My advice is take the job, not the money, and don't worry for one second about loyalty.

This advice is worth every penny you paid to get it.

Businesses are incapable of loyalty. I feel loyal to my company as well. And it hurts me. I was offered by another company this week but won't leave. Unfortunately for me I believe wholeheartedly in my company.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Pfft. My opinion on that is the companies almost never have actual loyalty to their employees. They like to pretend they do, but when it comes to making the hard business decisions, most employers think of owners/shareholders first and employees close to last.

Having said that, if you like your boss and you like your current situation overall, I would personally put a lot of value on the bird in the hand. There's a limited amount of information you can gather in an interview, so how sure can you be that your personal happiness will improve if you make a change? Assuming you already make a pretty good living (which I think is a safe assumption, based on the fact that you are a regular poster on a Duke message board), money would be one of the last reasons I'd make a switch. This is coming from painful experience, wherein I took a job with a substantial increase in salary that sure looked good at the time, and ended up in one of the most toxic work environments I've ever worked in.

My advice is take the job, not the money, and don't worry for one second about loyalty.

This advice is worth every penny you paid to get it.
    I work for big pharma and agree 100% with this message. I couldn't have said it better myself. I've been at my company for 22 years and have seen a lot of people come and go, some voluntarily, some not. My company would not hesitate to early retire me if it's in their interest.

There are studies that show whe #1 factor in employee retention is a person's direct manager. There are A LOT of bad managers our there that no amount of money can make better.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Businesses are incapable of loyalty. I feel loyal to my company as well. And it hurts me. I was offered by another company this week but won't leave. Unfortunately for me I believe wholeheartedly in my company.
    When I was a youngster, under 40, I generally went with the money.

From about 45 onward I went with job satisfaction over money. I was generally happier when explicitly choosing happiness.

One question to ask is who will be the person you report directly to in each situation and will that important relationship be good. It matters a lot.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Yeah, the biggest consideration is the “bird in hand”. My position is fully remote and I’ve established a nice working relationship with my manager. Things are good. I have 0 loyalty to the corporate entity for reasons everyone has described but situationally things are good.

New gig is fully remote. Boss seems nice but you never know. Different industry, 30+% bump in guaranteed comp.

The money matters but not as much as it used to. We’re doing fine and I get lots of QT with my kiddos, which I want to preserve. Everyone at new company has assured me this won’t be a problem but you obviously never know.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Yeah, the biggest consideration is the “bird in hand”. My position is fully remote and I’ve established a nice working relationship with my manager. Things are good. I have 0 loyalty to the corporate entity for reasons everyone has described but situationally things are good.

New gig is fully remote. Boss seems nice but you never know. Different industry, 30+% bump in guaranteed comp.

The money matters but not as much as it used to. We’re doing fine and I get lots of QT with my kiddos, which I want to preserve. Everyone at new company has assured me this won’t be a problem but you obviously never know.
    If the new guys throw in free mulching, you'll be gone like a shot. We know your kind.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    If the new guys throw in free mulching, you'll be gone like a shot. We know your kind.
    Oh yeah. For free mulching he will be off like a prom dress.

Oh yeah. For free mulching he will be off like a prom dress.
    Don’t let your daughters see that post!

Don’t let your daughters see that post!
    Well. Not my prom date. Or not with me at any rate.

Well. Not my prom date. Or not with me at any rate.
    I went to 4 proms. I don’t know what to think about that at this stage in my life.

I went to 4 proms. I don’t know what to think about that at this stage in my life.
    Keep your dresses?

Keep your dresses?
    Still wear ‘em.

Cumberbundabergdevil?

Cumberbundabergdevil?
    Ooooooohhhhhh, OPK on point tonight! Well done.

Cumberbundabergdevil?
    That is wonderful.