Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

???

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    So much more to talk about, and like, than whether we'll miss Joey Baker in the 2022-23 season.

Great to see Alex respond...wow! Love that soft, high-arcing shot, beautiful. Great adjustments by the staff at halftime. What a competitor and winner RJ Barrett is! Christian Laettner would tip his hat.

Loved watching the bench, and great to see Zion enjoying it. On one occasion, he jumped pretty well for a guy with a sore knee.

Dan Shulman and Jay were properly respectful of the tragedy and loss of life in the auto accident. I did a double-take when Shulman said the crowd had observed a moment of silence in both English and Spanish...hmmm, sounded different?
    Un momento de silencia?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Here's a link to the postgame press conference. Coach K just started.

https://www.localsyr.com/sports/oran...nce/1804528629

(Click the link under the picture.)
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    One of the big mysteries of this game is why it took so long to use Bolden. I got the logic of starting Javin and AOC but when Vrank entered the game I assumed that Bolden must be under the weather. What did Vrank provide that Bolden doesn't do better? Rebounding? Rim protection? Defense on switches? Post scoring? i don't get it.
    i think K was sending Big Ques a message: if you can't be bothered to show up vs our biggest rival, then your chances will be given to someone else. Seems he got the message, he played with great energy during the time he was in and made some very big contributions.

One of the big mysteries of this game is why it took so long to use Bolden. I got the logic of starting Javin and AOC but when Vrank entered the game I assumed that Bolden must be under the weather. What did Vrank provide that Bolden doesn't do better? Rebounding? Rim protection? Defense on switches? Post scoring? i don't get it.
    I wondered if it was about sending a message.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yes, but at the same time he hadn’t played at all this year. They were clearly planning on redshirting him. The timing is odd. I hope it has more to do with White’s absence than Zion’s.
    That's what worries me.

Goldwire comes thru against Louisville. then AOC comes thru against Cuse. Both tough road wins. I think this team is gaining confidence. A deeper bench will surely help when you play 2 games in 3days after a tough ACC tourney run.

Losing a player like Zion will cause a ripple effect in everything. It wasn't like FSU game, seeing he's on the sideline with an eye but a knee injury. That will mess with you mentally as nobody knows what his injury could be

This game K adjusted without him

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    i think K was sending Big Ques a message: if you can't be bothered to show up vs our biggest rival, then your chances will be given to someone else. Seems he got the message, he played with great energy during the time he was in and made some very big contributions.

Ding ding ding ding! An extra ding!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Reddish inconsistent. 1 for 8 on 3's. I don't understand what the NBA sees in him.That soft layup is not the first time he has been weak with a dribble drive. I thought he would finally live up to the hype. He throws the ball carelessly in crunch time. If he gives us something great, but no more expectations from me to see Cam be a consistent double digit scorer. He does sometime makes steals but then blows the play or gives it right back. He is not strong with the ball.
    Did you miss when he put up 27 vs UNC with their entire defense focused on he and RJ? Or when he put up 22 vs UL?

So many here have ridiculously short memories. college freshman SHOULD be inconsistent. It's what he does when he's on that draws so much attention.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    Okay, so Mr. Baker is officially not redshirting. Will it be a good decision in retrospect? I guess we shall see.
    Exactly. Plus I bet it’s all gravy for Joey. He wants to play with his team!!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

It has obviously been an interesting few days in the basketball office. The conversations would have been fascinating to hear. AOC, we're going to start you. Joey, how about giving up a year of eligibility now? Jack, you won't see the floor. And so on. But it paid off in an excellent win in a tough environment. Plus there was another demonstration of why Coach K is the GOAT. The half time analysis emphasised that Duke had to keep flashing RJ into the middle of the Syracuse zone. Instead, Jones takes over those duties, and very effectively. Mind you, it doesn't hurt to have Barrett commanding attention no matter where he is on the court. On to the next game.

Don’t overthink it

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    That's what worries me.
    With Zion and White out and others struggling with their shots, why not try Baker? Burning his redshirt is a big deal for Duke or for him.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    I was trying to be calm and not curse.. but I saw Goldwire check in & I think immediately I said, "Coach WTH are you thinking?"
    To be fair, the inbounds pass was into the corner where doubling him was easy. Especially for the difference in length of Jordan and the 2 cuse players. I'm not saying Jordan is more than a role player but that turnover was not on him alone. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    With Zion and White out and others struggling with their shots, why not try Baker?
    I won't pretend to say I saw this coming or even thought it was a good idea, or even think it is a good idea now....BUT...I'm still happy to see him play, and hope he has a great rest of the season.
    April 1

K said that Zion is coming back when ready and Joey will continue to get mins.

Coach K's press conference was very encouraging:

1. There's been no talk about shutting Zion down by him or anyone in his family. He wants to play.
    2. Zion's injury is not expected to be long-term. They are following a protocol and it is "literally day to day."
    3. Baker played because he's been playing well in practice and we need another shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    With Zion and White out and others struggling with their shots, why not try Baker? Burning his redshirt is a big deal for Duke or for him.
    But was White out due to illness or injury or due to being outplayed? I get the burning of the redshirt a lot more if Jack was unable to play than if they chose not to play him.

Now that the redshirt is burned, there is no turning back so it will be interesting to see his role going forward. I wish basketball had a rule like the new football rule where you can play a few games without totally burning the redshirt.

game 1 v cuse:
    99 adjD, 111 adjO

game 2 v cuse:
    93 adjD, 123 adjO

Much better performance on both sides of the ball. RJ with one of his best performance of the year.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Then again, it could be that Marques is still recovering from the viral bug he reportedly had, and the coaching staff felt that it would be best to save his limited energy and endurance for the stretch run if needed -- which it assuredly was. I'd prefer to adopt that rationale than one which casts a negative light on the young man by assuming that his performance in the UNC game was attributable to, or is being regarded by the coaches as, a lack of effort.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Coach K's press conference was very encouraging:

1. There's been no talk about shutting Zion down by him or anyone in his family. He wants to play.
    2. Zion's injury is not expected to be long-term. They are following a protocol and it is "literally day to day."
    3. Baker played because he's been playing well in practice and we need another shooter.
    Just listened to the whole thing too. K’s ability to spin from the question the reporter asks to what he wants to talk about in a just a couple sentences never ceases to amaze this former Chronicle writer.

Agree that everything he said seemed largely positive. I wish someone had asked about Jack not seeing the floor. That’s the last piece of the “puzzle” here.