Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Whiplash

Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    So much for Coach P being a genius.
    Wow-- that is harsh. Winning the big one may or may not prove one is a genius, but losing a game like this doesn't prove you are not. The men lost to NC State in the first game of the 1997 ACC Tourney as the top seed. I know that Coach K is a genius though.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Wow-- that is harsh. Winning the big one may or may not prove one is a genius, but losing a game like this doesn't prove you are not. The men lost to NC State in the first game of the 1997 ACC Tourney as the top seed. I know that Coach K is a genius though.
    And you can't compare a #1 - #9 upset in the men's game with the women's game because it isn't even close.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

well, wake just beat miami....so while a 1 seed is out of the picture, duke needs to hope maryland loses if they want to stay in the raleigh region
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    well, wake just beat miami....so while a 1 seed is out of the picture, duke needs to hope maryland loses if they want to stay in the raleigh region
    For the #2 seed, I see: Duke, Maryland, Miami, Kentucky, and Tennessee as the main contenders. Even if UConn loses to Notre Dame in the Big East Tourney, I don't think they'll drop to a 2. If Maryland wins ACC tourney, they should be a lock, which would overcome a 1-3 record vs. the others in this group. Kentucky and Tenn should meet in the SEC Final, so that should cancel one out - especially since they split in the season. Also, both are currently 2-1 vs. the group. However, Tenn doesn't have a loss vs. a team that shouldn't make the tourney field (Duke vs. NC State, Maryland vs. VPI, Miami vs. UNC, Kentucky vs. MTSU) which may make the difference. Just a few things I'm sure that will be taken into consideration.

Also, it's important to remember that unlike the men, which uses the S-curve for seeding, the women primarily relies on the G-curve, which is Geographic region hosting. Raleigh is a host this year, so Duke may be a 2 or a 3 seed, for the sake of staying in the Raleigh regional...

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNikeShox View Post
    Also, it's important to remember that unlike the men, which uses the S-curve for seeding, the women primarily relies on the G-curve, which is Geographic region hosting. Raleigh is a host this year, so Duke may be a 2 or a 3 seed, for the sake of staying in the Raleigh regional...
    Or, more bluntly, the $-curve, which uses ticket sales as its primary consideration. Duke might drop to a 3 seed in the Raleigh regional, but they probably won't be sent elsewhere.

actually

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    And you can't compare a #1 - #9 upset in the men's game with the women's game because it isn't even close.
    a 9 beating a 1-seed in the womens game is like the winner of the play in game beating the overall number one in the mens tourney...1 seeds I believe were 32-0 against 9 before today...

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    a 9 beating a 1-seed in the womens game is like the winner of the play in game beating the overall number one in the mens tourney...1 seeds I believe were 32-0 against 9 before today...
    Today's records:

1. First time Georgia Tech beat UNC in ACC Tournament history
    2. First time a 9 seed has made the Tournament semifinals
    3. First time Wake Forest has beaten a Top 10 team since 1993

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNikeShox View Post
    For the #2 seed, I see: Duke, Maryland, Miami, Kentucky, and Tennessee as the main contenders. Even if UConn loses to Notre Dame in the Big East Tourney, I don't think they'll drop to a 2. If Maryland wins ACC tourney, they should be a lock, which would overcome a 1-3 record vs. the others in this group. Kentucky and Tenn should meet in the SEC Final, so that should cancel one out - especially since they split in the season. Also, both are currently 2-1 vs. the group. However, Tenn doesn't have a loss vs. a team that shouldn't make the tourney field (Duke vs. NC State, Maryland vs. VPI, Miami vs. UNC, Kentucky vs. MTSU) which may make the difference. Just a few things I'm sure that will be taken into consideration.

That would mean moving what should be higher overall ranked maryland out to the rhode island region. You make a fair point though about geographay being much more important. (plus I think the committee is still paying "reparations" for having #1 duke play MSU at their place....by having a pod in cameron and then a region in raleigh)
    1200. DDMF.

big upsets

I agree that the loss to 9-seed State is a bad loss. Such a loss is not entirely unprecedented, however. It hadn't happened in the ACC tournament before and perhaps some of it can be said to be due to the Richa Jackson injury.

Even so, the worst such loss occurred in 1998 in the NCAAs when No. 1 Stanford was upset by 16-seed Harvard. Like Duke's loss of Jackson, Stanford had just lost two players due to injury, Vanessa Nygaard and Kristin Folkl. In both cases gaps appeared in what were/are fundamentally solid teams. I don't know for sure that Jackson's presence would have changed things, but it seems likely since she played when Duke beat State earlier in the season. Still, you play with the people you have and soldier on.

I think Duke could have won today--better board work, hitting free throws, reducing turnovers, avoiding defensive lapses--but State played an inspired game. It's probably best to just move on, let the women fix what can be fixed and hope for the best.
    Last edited by Jim3k; 03-03-2012 at 03:37 AM. Reason: writing complete senteces--with verbs, even.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I agree that the loss to 9-seed State is a bad loss. Such a loss is not entirely unprecedented, however. It hadn't happened in the ACC tournament before and perhaps some of it can be said to be due to the Richa Jackson injury.

Even so, the worst such loss occurred in 1998 in the NCAAs when No. 1 Stanford was upset by 16-seed Harvard. Like Duke's loss of Jackson, Stanford had just lost two players due to injury, Vanessa Nygaard and Kristin Folkl. In both cases gaps appeared in what were/are fundamentally solid teams. I don't know for sure that Jackson's presence would have changed things, but it seems likely since she played when Duke beat State earlier in the season. Still, you play with the people you have and soldier on.

I think Duke could have won today--better board work, hitting free throws, reducing turnovers, avoiding defensive lapses--but State played an inspired game. It's probably best to just move on, let the women fix what can be fixed and hope for the best.
    WE depend heavily on freshmen. Freshmen are freshmen...the best thing about them is they become sophomores.
    1200. DDMF.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    That would mean moving what should be higher overall ranked maryland out to the rhode island region. You make a fair point though about geographay being much more important. (plus I think the committee is still paying "reparations" for having #1 duke play MSU at their place....by having a pod in cameron and then a region in raleigh)
    I disagree with Maryland automatically being a higher overall seed. Duke finished two games ahead, split the season series, and the State loss in the ACC tourney is nowhere near as bad as losing at home to VT. While winning the ACC tournament will probably lift Maryland ahead, I still think they're the number two seed in the East, with UConn, and Duke, after traveling to a lower seed's home court for the first two rounds (unless the Smurfs aren't included) will get to be the number two seed in the South (Raleigh.). I also don't think Raleigh gives the Terps any advantage, in fact since you believe they're a higher seed, being in a bracket with a lower number 1 (UConn instead of ND), makes sense.

If Miami didn't lose to Wake, they'd have an argument for Raleigh instead of Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I disagree with Maryland automatically being a higher overall seed. Duke finished two games ahead, split the season series, and the State loss in the ACC tourney is nowhere near as bad as losing at home to VT. While winning the ACC tournament will probably lift Maryland ahead, I still think they're the number two seed in the East, with UConn, and Duke, after traveling to a lower seed's home court for the first two rounds (unless the Smurfs aren't included) will get to be the number two seed in the South (Raleigh.). I also don't think Raleigh gives the Terps any advantage, in fact since you believe they're a higher seed, being in a bracket with a lower number 1 (UConn instead of ND), makes sense.

If Miami didn't lose to Wake, they'd have an argument for Raleigh instead of Duke.
    First, geography trumps overall seed balance on the top two lines, so if maryland is higher overall than duke, they'll get the closer location.

The loss in the tournament here will weigh heavily on the committee's mind, especially if maryland were to win the title. I think they'll be higher overall, you think they won't. We may end up in raleigh anyway since the women's tournament often values ticket sales over proper seeding...so if I were betting, I'd put duke in raleigh as the 2 seed.
    1200. DDMF.

WE depend heavily on freshmen. Freshmen are freshmen...the best thing about them is they become sophomores.
    I did not see the game- but some young teams don't handle the moment well. Hopefully, the game taught them some lessons. Also, the outcome may have been different if this had been the first game for both. Teams that play the first day- have a little advantage and they also have nothing to lose. The good teams need to play to conserve energy. Tough sometimes to match intensity. Even on the Men's side- the second day ACC tourney contests are often very close regardless of rankings. Teams have to execute down the stretch. March is all amount playing well and smart at the end of games. You just down get big blowouts that often.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I disagree with Maryland automatically being a higher overall seed. Duke finished two games ahead, split the season series, and the State loss in the ACC tourney is nowhere near as bad as losing at home to VT.
    Maryland actually finished three games back of Duke in conference play, but the Terps made up some of the difference with an unambitious nonconference schedule. You would hate to see them rewarded for that, but Duke would have no one to blame but themselves.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It will be a Maryland - Georgia Tech final. Should be a good game. Pulling for the Wreck, I don't care for Brenda much.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

That's not quite accurate. We rely heavily on only one freshman, Elizabeth Williams. Of the other three freshmen, Amber Henson is an injury redshirt, Jenna Frush is a mop-up walk-on and Ka'lia Johnson has only played sparingly, though she shows promise.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    First, geography trumps overall seed balance on the top two lines, so if maryland is higher overall than duke, they'll get the closer location.

The loss in the tournament here will weigh heavily on the committee's mind, especially if maryland were to win the title. I think they'll be higher overall, you think they won't. We may end up in raleigh anyway since the women's tournament often values ticket sales over proper seeding...so if I were betting, I'd put duke in raleigh as the 2 seed.
    I agree that attendance is more important for the women's tournament. I also agree that if Maryland beats a really good team like Georgia Tech tomorrow, they'll be a higher number 2 seed (I don't see us dropping from the 2 line.) But I still see them going to the east region with UConn.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I just don't find Coach P to be inspiring, although her recruiting has been outstanding (her or her assistant coaches' recruiting). This team did not seem emotionally prepared for the game.

Winnable, Even Playing Poorly

Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    I just don't find Coach P to be inspiring, although her recruiting has been outstanding (her or her assistant coaches' recruiting). This team did not seem emotionally prepared for the game.
    We "tanked" the game, as the tennis pros say. It is not a moral judgment: We were playing poorly, but winning. Rather than do what was working, emphasize defense, and finish off the Pack, we started flailing around the last ten minutes and had the wheels come off the cart. I saw numerous poor passes and fumbled balls, as well as low-percentage offensive plays, that contributed to the loss.

sagegrouse

Well UMD just wrapped up the title, so if there was a question before, I think right now maryland has certainly made a very strong case for a better overall seed than duke...putting in question whether duke will end up in raleigh....puts the committee in a tight space whether they give md the advantage for having a higher seed, or duke the advantage for selling tickets
    1200. DDMF.