Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Also, when parents send away their kids, they often want a strong role model or two on the coaching staff, and the parents of some young black players want to see a smart black man who their child can take after and who has the experience to help their kid develop in the basketball world. This is the way of the world... like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Festus13 View Post
    I would have to totally disagree with the racial issues. Just because other universities play their own version of the 'race card' doesn't mean that all universities need stoop so low. The best man for the particular job is the only way to get the best coach for any university.
    No one is suggesting that Duke should "play the race card." No one is suggesting Duke hire an unqualified coach. But given certain unfortunate circumstances, it would be beneficial for Duke to have a good assistant coach who happens to be African-American. Just out of curiosity, do you have any familiarity with how the recruiting game is being played right now?

I agree.

I would also point out that it wouldn't just be "negative" recruiting. Every single interview you read with a recruit who just announced a school includes a line like, "I just felt comfortable there... with the staff, the facilities, the team, with everything." And it is just a fact of life that many people feel more comfortable when they feel like they are around people they can relate to on a personal level.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    No one is suggesting that Duke should "play the race card." No one is suggesting Duke hire an unqualified coach. But given certain unfortunate circumstances, it would be beneficial for Duke to have a good assistant coach who happens to be African-American. Just out of curiosity, do you have any familiarity with how the recruiting game is being played right now?
    Last edited by Jumbo; 04-27-2008 at 02:46 PM. Reason: poster's request

I'm torn on this issue. While I agree with Jumbo that it would be beneficial for Duke to have a quality assistant coach who happens to be African-American, I also feel that the best candidate should be hired regardless of race. The point that needs to be emphasized here is that these two sentiments are not mutually exclusive.

That said, I am curious as to whether race will be used as a criteria, as opposed to a bonus, during the selection process. If it is a criteria, I'm not sure I would necessarily agree with that approach, at least not without knowing more about recruiting travails and further understanding why a given race is a 'must-have.'

Jumbo / Others -- can you elaborate on some of the unfortunate circumstances within the recruiting world today where Duke would be best-served by having an African-American assistant coach?

(Hopefully this post doesn't venture too far into the PPB domain...)

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I'm torn on this issue. While I agree with Jumbo that it would be beneficial for Duke to have a quality assistant coach who happens to be African-American, I also feel that the best candidate should be hired regardless of race. The point that needs to be emphasized here is that these two sentiments are not mutually exclusive.

That said, I am curious as to whether race will be used as a criteria, as opposed to a bonus, during the selection process. If it is a criteria, I'm not sure I would necessarily agree with that approach, at least not without knowing more about recruiting travails and further understanding why a given race is a 'must-have.'

Jumbo / Others -- can you elaborate on some of the unfortunate circumstances within the recruiting world today where Duke would be best-served by having an African-American assistant coach?

(Hopefully this post doesn't venture too far into the PPB domain...)
    In the end, it's simply a matter of human nature in a lot of cases. And you're right, we're venturing too far into PPB domain. I'm happy to start a thread there where we can discuss race and basketball. The last thing I want anyone to think is that Nate James would get the job "because he is black." Nate James will get the job because he has worked for it, is a leader, is loved by the kids on the team already and is a major badass. That he happens to add some diversity to the staff is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    It'd be pretty easy for me to imagine any program in a recruiting battle against Duke discussing how Duke (whether WE believe it to be true or not), relative to say a big public school like a Texas or Florida, has (1) few African Americans in its student body in general, (2) few African Americans on its basketball team, and (3) no African Americans on its coaching staff.

If I'm an African American, whether this is pointed out to me in a subtle or even an overt way, I would have to think about this.

I think the point Jumbo and others are making, and that I agree with, is that this sort of thing (1) goes on, (2) sucks, and (3) Duke should probably hire an African American at Duke so this is (4) a non-issue.
    Last edited by freedevil; 04-27-2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Bolded line to make this less of a public policy-type thread

In the end, it's simply a matter of human nature in a lot of cases. And you're right, we're venturing too far into PPB domain. I'm happy to start a thread there where we can discuss race and basketball. The last thing I want anyone to think is that Nate James would get the job "because he is black." Nate James will get the job because he has worked for it, is a leader, is loved by the kids on the team already and is a major badass. That he happens to add some diversity to the staff is a bonus.
    I agree with your post here. To me the race of the coach is irrelevant, as is his religion or is school of origin (IMO). I am concerned with quality as a man, coach and then other issues. If the first two are, basically, equal among candidates, then a diversity of staff issue can be a tilting factor. The diversity gained is a desirable bonus.

No it won't, because there aren't any questions. Nolan Smith plays for Duke. And we don't allow rumor-mongering.
    Now, let's please consider this issue permanently and affirmatively squashed!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    2) From what I have heard, he has generally not been one of the best. Not to say he was awful, but Wojo and Collins have done far more recently in recruiting and been more successful. Has anybody heard otherwise?
    Not what I've heard, but what I read.

Taking the Stanford job will be a major change for Dawkins. He was not heavily involved in the traveling side of recruiting at Duke, although he was instrumental in bringing current Blue Devils guards Gerald Henderson and Nolan Smith into the program.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1051675.html

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Fathers and are not missed by their children while they are on the road in that they are infants.
    Sorry, can't agree with this statement. Infants still miss fathers.

Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
    I read somewhere that JD was in charge of player development. If we were to replace that functionality...without knowing anything more than surface level, I would say Laettner seems like a better choice than Nate James.
    Remember who is in charge of the program: a graduate of West Point and executive-in-residence with The Fuqua School of Business and founder of the Fuqua/Coach K Center of Leadership & Ethics. He is training ALL of his Assistants to be head coaches (and more). Wojo and Collins will assume Johnny D's responsibilities and Nate (probably) will move up the totem pole.

We should also start offering Shelden a coaching spot, and continue offering every chance we get. Hopefully he and Candace can produce more Duke players than even the Plumlees!

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    It'd be pretty easy for me to imagine any program in a recruiting battle against Duke discussing how Duke (whether WE believe it to be true or not), relative to say a big public school like a Texas or Florida, has (1) few African Americans in its student body in general, (2) few African Americans on its basketball team, and (3) no African Americans on its coaching staff.

If I'm an African American, whether this is pointed out to me in a subtle or even an overt way, I would have to think about this.

I think the point Jumbo and others are making, and that I agree with, is that this sort of thing (1) goes on, (2) sucks, and (3) Duke should probably hire an African American at Duke so this is (4) a non-issue.
    I hear that Wojo explored pigmentation alteration, but that he has had too many floor burns (98.7% of his body) and the result would be too splotchy. Chris Collins was immediately rejected as a candidate due to excess freckling (no one wants to risk another Dennis Johnson fiasco).

Looks like we are "stuck" with Nate and his BAD I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. attitude - I love it! I think his personality and intensity are perfect for an assistant. I also think I would like the type of recruit Nate would connect with!

However, we may need someone who can help regulate intensity. Johnny D. may have been the calming influence on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Looks like we are "stuck" with Nate and his BAD I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. attitude - I love it! I think his personality and intensity are perfect for an assistant. I also think I would like the type of recruit Nate would connect with!
    I went with the typing of 'I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.' in an earlier thread to express my appreciation for the badI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ery of Nate James, to try and not make this Board any less of a family atmosphere.

But then I noticed Jumbo just straight up call him a badass, and I think that's the best way to go about it - the guy is the man and no toning his badassness down should be allowed. So I think this Board should allow the use of the term 'I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.', when used as an adjective for Nate James, to be fully spelled out.

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    ... Jumbo just straight up call him a badass, and I think that's the best way to go about it - the guy is the man and no toning his badassness down should be allowed. So I think this Board should allow the use of the term 'I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.', when used as an adjective for Nate James, to be fully spelled out.
    Nate James is a BADASS

I say it louder

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    The two public high schools in Palo Alto are among the best in California. Both Gunn and Palo Alto High Schools made U.S. News & World Report's 2008 Gold list. If Johnny's kids go to Paly, they can hitch a ride with their dad because the school is located across the street (El Camino Real) from the athletic complex at Stanford.

It's obvious that Johnny and Tracy considered their kids' best interests in choosing Stanford. They have chosen a wonderful area with great schools and fabulous opportunities for their four children.

Congratulations to Johnny and congratulations to Stanford!
    What you say is absolutely correct. Additionally, the Menlo School is one of the more highly regarded private prep schools in the country. Paly was in the state championship hoops game in their division, IIRC, but I don't they won. This was about 2 years ago. Regardless, the educational and athletic opportunities out here are plentiful.

An interesting article on Dawkins move.

It quoted JWill who almost broke into tear when he heard the news.

The article focuses on JD's reputation in player development, which already seems to have won over some recruits.

Also mentions Dawkins' pay is believed to be around 600K a year.

A real big guy to coach big guys-novel concept

I am not trying to rain on the Nate James parade but this coaching vacancy does offer the team a chance to move beyond the guards, guards, guards, all the time guards situation we've been in forever. The recent big guys on the team love Wojo as a coach but, even they understand there is a certain innate level of karma to being a big guy that you don't tap into unless you are one.
    I think Gminski would agree. The fact that Coach K doesn't see this as a way to broaden the excellence of the coaching staff bespeaks his guard perspective.

Has anyone thought that with the elevation of JD to a head coaching position after so many years as K's assistant we now have a signal from K that his end is near? I have to believe that the ONLY reason for JD to be leaving is to gain the necessary experience to take over for K ---- sooner than any of us realize. He's got the talent in every area --- he only needs to prove it with experience --- and he's a very strong candidate to become what many would like to see --- the first black head coach of Duke University Basketball. Who else would deserve that honor more than JD?

Quote Originally Posted by sbduke View Post
    I am not trying to rain on the Nate James parade but this coaching vacancy does offer the team a chance to move beyond the guards, guards, guards, all the time guards situation we've been in forever. The recent big guys on the team love Wojo as a coach but, even they understand there is a certain innate level of karma to being a big guy that you don't tap into unless you are one.
    I think Gminski would agree. The fact that Coach K doesn't see this as a way to broaden the excellence of the coaching staff bespeaks his guard perspective.
    Unfortunately, this discussion is not "novel" at all on these boards. Do a quick search and you'll find lots of discussion on this point already.

Countering questions to your post:
    1. If the big guys love Wojo as the big man coach, why change it?
    2. Do you have any actual support for your statement about former players (quotes, articles, anecdotes, anything?) that would indicate they agree with your karma reference and would have preferred an actual "big man" to be their coach?
    3. Do you find it at all interesting that perhaps the WORLD'S BEST BIG MAN COACH, Pete Newell, is 6'2?

Quote Originally Posted by Festus13 View Post
    Has anyone thought that with the elevation of JD to a head coaching position after so many years as K's assistant we now have a signal from K that his end is near? I have to believe that the ONLY reason for JD to be leaving is to gain the necessary experience to take over for K ---- sooner than any of us realize. He's got the talent in every area --- he only needs to prove it with experience --- and he's a very strong candidate to become what many would like to see --- the first black head coach of Duke University Basketball. Who else would deserve that honor more than JD?
    Absolutely! Why shouldn't we aspire to be, say, Iowa St.