Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post

This style of play doesn’t work for 99.9% of the NBA. Harden is a master at it -
    If he can’t shoot the way he does, it doesn’t work.
    If he can’t dribble and move the way he does, it doesn’t work.
    If he can’t shoot free throws the way he does, it doesn’t work.
    I’m not sure I follow your logic here. Harden is a pretty average to slightly better 3-point shooter - certainly nothing special at 36-37%. I don’t personally consider his handle elite. So the fact that he gets so many calls makes it more egregious that his FT % is high- because he doesn’t deserve what he gets. His dribbling seems better because people avoid challenging him if they want to stay in the game. This is a guy shooting 10 free throws a game since he has been with Houston while Lebron James hasn’t averaged over 8 since 2012! Harden is good but just seems to mesmerize officials with his ridiculous beard. I guess it isn’t his fault, but when you combine his fear of playing defense, the guy justifiably irks opposing fans...

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I’m not sure I follow your logic here. Harden is a pretty average to slightly better 3-point shooter - certainly nothing special at 36-37%. I don’t personally consider his handle elite. So the fact that he gets so many calls makes it more egregious that his FT % is high- because he doesn’t deserve what he gets. His dribbling seems better because people avoid challenging him if they want to stay in the game. This is a guy shooting 10 free throws a game since he has been with Houston while Lebron James hasn’t averaged over 8 since 2012! Harden is good but just seems to mesmerize officials with his ridiculous beard. I guess it isn’t his fault, but when you combine his fear of playing defense, the guy justifiably irks opposing fans...
    I would definitely consider his handle elite.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

^Fair enough, I’m not qualified to judge and didn’t put him in the same category as Kyrie, which is probably too narrow of a basis

JJ’s amazing clutch shot. Texas fans everywhere are having nightmare flashbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I’m not sure I follow your logic here. Harden is a pretty average to slightly better 3-point shooter - certainly nothing special at 36-37%.
    You're not considering degree of difficulty. A large proportion - if not the vast majority - of Harden's three-point shots are off-the-dribble, step-back shots (and, arguably, preceded by traveling, FWIW). At these, he is definitely elite, or at least he was last season.

Jimmy Butler just loves Tyus Jones

Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I would definitely consider his handle elite.
    Mods, can you move the Harden discussion to the non-Duke NBA thread? I'd like to continue but I'm the people on this thread are sick of it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Mods, can you move the Harden discussion to the non-Duke NBA thread? I'd like to continue but I'm the people on this thread are sick of it. Thanks.
    No need to move... easier to just say:

If you want to talk about James Harden and his penchant for drawing "fouls", please do so in this thread.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

But Harden gets all the calls.

And Duke gets all the calls.

Therefore, using the transitive property, isn't James Harden really Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    But Harden gets all the calls.

And Duke gets all the calls.

Therefore, using the transitive property, isn't James Harden really Duke?
    If the "discussion" goes much longer, he'll be Hitler.

Just wanted to update Rodney Hood's situation.

As some folks may recall, Rodney turned down a reported 3-year $21 mil contract from the Cavs in the off season to play out his option with them this year. He is making $3.4 mil off his qualifying offer from Cleveland and will be a free agent next summer. Put another way, he is really really really motivated to have a good year.

So far... meh. Last night was a pretty typical game for him. 10 points on 4-12 shooting with 3 boards in 30 minutes. He is yet to have a game this year where he shot better than 50% from the field. He doesn't get a lot of FTs or rebounds or assists. His 3 point shooting is really struggling, just 1-9 from deep thus far.

It is obviously early in the season, but Rodney will need to really pick up his play to get more than a mediocre contract.

-Jason "meanwhile, the Cavs quest for the #1 pick is going strong... 0-5 thus far" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Setback for Kennard. Will miss several weeks with a separated shoulder. Pistons having a good year and Luke in the rotation but will be out until end of Nov.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Setback for Kennard. Will miss several weeks with a separated shoulder. Pistons having a good year and Luke in the rotation but will be out until end of Nov.
    Was hit by a nasty pick, but I don't think a foul was called. Fortunately, it is his right shoulder.

I watched a significant chunk of Wizards (SubZero) vs Kings (Marvin and Harry) last night. Nice W for the Kings.

I didn't see any of Harry's limited minutes. It seems like he's slipping from the rotation out there. Obviously, it's early in the season.

Bagley has been coming off the bench and he looks pretty good. His quick second jump seems elite even among NBA players, he has been taking and hitting corner 3s, his defense still seems a bit suspect, he gets visibly frustrated when he doesn't get the ball on mismtaches, etc. While the season is young, it feels like Joerger is recognizing the need to get him minutes. One oddity, I saw him called for at least 3 travels.

Austin is still Austin. While he has made a name on defense, he wasn't really showing it last night as I saw him picking up tons of bad fouls. In pretty classic fashion, the dude still jacks ridiculous shots, still showing that "I am the man" ego. I guess that's what got him here, along with a little help from the family, so he can do what he's going to do. But, I can't say, as the kids say, "I'm here for it".

I also saw the end of the Nets v Pelicans game where the Nets choked what would have been a great road win in the final minute. I only bring it up to say that as AD deflected the final attempted in-bounds pass to seal the game, I spied a jubilant Frank Jackson celebrating on the court. The game was also notable for a strange occurrence involving a Heel. After the Nets lost the lead, they had a chance to inbounds for a winning shot with 2 seconds left. During the timeout, one of the Pelicans attempted to enter the Nets huddle and Ed Davis shoved the guy down with help from a massive flop. Davis was called for a T which allowed the Pels to hit 2 FTs and go up by 3 instead of 1. Big Ed got robbed imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    During the timeout, one of the Pelicans attempted to enter the Nets huddle and Ed Davis shoved the guy down with help from a massive flop. Davis was called for a T which allowed the Pels to hit 2 FTs and go up by 3 instead of 1. Big Ed got robbed imho.

I agree and not just because Hill flopped when Davis tried to box him out from the huddle. There should be a rule that you are not allowed to enter another team's bench area during a stop in the action. At a minimum, Solomon Hill was trying to interfere with the Nets planning for the final possession; at a maximum he was trying to steal a peek at the play and therefore be better equipped to stop it. Either way, that's cheating and 100% wrong.

-Jason "If the NBA does not have a rule about this, they sure should" Evans

Verga

I know he's no longer in the NBA, but i was gardening today and i had a revelation, usavory as it may have been. Duke legend Bob Verga shares a rather unfortunate connection to Spanish slang, at least Mexican/CentAm slang. Or postitive, depending on how one chooses to wield slang.
    Verga being spanish-language slang for, er, ahem, the, uh, man bits.
    Anyway, he was a great player.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I know he's no longer in the NBA, but i was gardening today and i had a revelation, usavory as it may have been. Duke legend Bob Verga shares a rather unfortunate connection to Spanish slang, at least Mexican/CentAm slang. Or postitive, depending on how one chooses to wield slang.
    That topiary beginning to take shape, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Anyway, he was a great player.
    As a young lad, VERY young lad, I saw Verga play for the Carolina Cougars. Dude could stroke.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He is yet to have a game this year where he shot better than 50% from the field. He doesn't get a lot of FTs or rebounds or assists. His 3 point shooting is really struggling, just 1-9 from deep thus far.
    He picked it up a little last night, with 8-15 shooting. 1-6 from three though, eww. 17 point game total.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."