Page 952 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 4528529029429509519529539549621002105214521952 ... LastLast
Results 19,021 to 19,040 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

From 3/5/17:

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Collaboration Without Representation-Deep River Brewing Company and Bottle Revolution

Well, I'm not sure how much input/labor the bottle shop folks had here, hence the name.

I managed to procure half a 4 pack of 16 ounce cans after the Bottle Rev lottery failed to sell their allotment and promised me 4 but only 2 remained when I went to purchase. I was minimally upset as these suckers were almost $7 for the pint cans, including tax. This might be the 3rd or 4th year of their issue.

Enough jibber-jabber and on with the review.

Pour was a somewhat thin, darn near black hue with a wisp of a head. It's an imperial milk stout aged in bourbon barrels on cocoa nibs, so the expected dark, dark chocolate and molasses aromas were received first. Mouthfeel was very silky/smooth and oily, but not thick and viscous. There's a bit of coffee but semi-sweet chocolate and dark caramel dominate the tastes. There's a very warm, boozy/bourbon-y finish as this high gravity concoction hits the scale at 12.8% ABV. IBU not stated but estimated at 50. I think it took me an hour to sip this monster after the Duke-cheaters game last PM. As I've posted a few times before about beers like this, skip the baked items as this is decadent liquid dessert. Although if someone wanted to leave a small plate of chocolate, chocolate chip/chunk cookies on the table one night, I could probably be convinced to nibble on 1 or 2 as I sipped this bad boy.

From 3/23/18:

Collaboration Without Representation (2018)-Deep River Brewing Company

Pint can pour into a standard pint glass with a quick sip or two so there was room for every precious drop. Almost black and perhaps a bit thicker this year. Just as much chocolate with a little more coffee in this version and bourbon. A lot of bourbon. I think I sipped this for 90 minutes before declaring victory and stumbling from my reading recliner to our bed about 4 steps away. Tab for this 4 pack: $32.

Three remain. Share? Trade?
    From tonight:

Collaboration Without Representation (2019)-Deep River Brewing Company

From bottom of can:

#GOTWOOD?

I don't have a clue what the code means except it's a BBA imperial chocolate milk stout that is amazingly good, especially having originated from Johnston County .

Dark, dark brown pour into a snifter (two equal portions of 8 ounces each) brought forth a creamy, tan head and enticing aromas of dark chocolate, coffee and bourbon with a smooth mouthfeel and lots of the same flavors as scents. Same IBU guess and the ABV is still a dangerous 12.8%. It'll take me an hour to finish this tonight and it's getting boozier (he was still fouled ) as each minute passes.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

NC Breweries Coming Soon!

I couldn't find a day/date on this article but holy hops, there are 102 new breweries listed here.

https://www.ncbeerguys.com/nc-brewer...s-coming-soon/

From last month:

"North Carolina boasts the largest number of craft breweries in the American South, with more than 300 breweries and brewpubs. Our mission is to advance the interests of the craft breweries of North Carolina and to promote North Carolina craft beer."

https://ncbeer.org/

From the October, 2018 NC Brewers Cup:

"Best in Show went to Archetype Brewing for their “Belgian Strong Ale”, a Trappist style Belgian dark strong ale. Archetype beat out 32 other Gold medal-winning beers to secure the NC Brewers Cup trophy for 2018. Belgian dark strong ales are known for their delicious blend of malt richness, dark fruit flavors, and distinct yeast character. They are a lovely, complex beer, with a smooth drinkability. Served in a snifter glass, Belgian dark strong ales pair well with strong cheeses and roasted fatty, or red, meats. This is also a great beer to complement rich, fruited desserts."

https://www.memberleap.com/news_arch...hp?org_id=NCCB

From the October, 2018 NC Brewers Cup:

"Best in Show went to Archetype Brewing for their “Belgian Strong Ale”, a Trappist style Belgian dark strong ale. Archetype beat out 32 other Gold medal-winning beers to secure the NC Brewers Cup trophy for 2018. Belgian dark strong ales are known for their delicious blend of malt richness, dark fruit flavors, and distinct yeast character. They are a lovely, complex beer, with a smooth drinkability. Served in a snifter glass, Belgian dark strong ales pair well with strong cheeses and roasted fatty, or red, meats. This is also a great beer to complement rich, fruited desserts."

https://www.memberleap.com/news_arch...hp?org_id=NCCB
    Interesting. Archetype is less than a half mile from my work. I checked them out a few times shortly after they opened and was wholly unimpressed with their line up. Sounds like it is time to try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Interesting. Archetype is less than a half mile from my work. I checked them out a few times shortly after they opened and was wholly unimpressed with their line up. Sounds like it is time to try again.
    I find this to be as close to a universal truth as exists for craft beer: the first year is generally uninspiring, or average at best.

The cheat code for this appears to be brewing at scale for an extended period of time. Bond Brothers is a particularly good example of this approach.

It is a great source of speculation and curiosity for me on how breweries survive that first year or even first few years.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I find this to be as close to a universal truth as exists for craft beer: the first year is generally uninspiring, or average at best.

The cheat code for this appears to be brewing at scale for an extended period of time. Bond Brothers is a particularly good example of this approach.

It is a great source of speculation and curiosity for me on how breweries survive that first year or even first few years.
    Oh, absolutely true. I also have a penchant for getting excited about a restaurant and trying it during the first week. Another bad idea.

I see my esteemed colleague fuse has already addressed this and I'd concur. I don't remember enough about Raleigh Brewing Company's first year or two but they've survived and have a really good line-up now, from session brews to sours and barrel-aged stuff. Probably similar to Gizmo. I don't like Lonerider's "standard" line-up that much (maybe tolerable would be a better description) but their brew pub only offerings and some one-offs are pretty good.

All in one beer and film development, courtesy of DFH:

https://www.dogfish.com/brewery/beer/supereight

More on spirits than beer, with a nod to Mother Earth:

https://www.liquor.com/articles/sust...ing/#gs.39pqr9

All in one beer and film development, courtesy of DFH:

https://www.dogfish.com/brewery/beer/supereight
    Super 8? I thought DFH might have something to do with a motel chain...

Just for fun, since I’ve never had absinthe, and given it tastes like black licorice, I probably never will:

https://www.themanual.com/food-and-d...rink-absinthe/

Just for fun, since I’ve never had absinthe, and given it tastes like black licorice, I probably never will:

https://www.themanual.com/food-and-d...rink-absinthe/
    Guessing we'll never see your side-by-side with this (which we discussed before):

220px-JeppsonsMalort.jpg

I'll be in London from 5/19 - 5/28. Any recommendations?

I thought the same thing. Haven't been since.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I thought the same thing. Haven't been since.
    Sounds like we need a beer date.

Don't carry euros?

It has been a long time since I’ve been to the UK.
    Hopefully my advice is outdated.

Most bars/pubs are now part of a large chain.
    You’ll find Guinness, Bass, Harp, Fosters, Heineken and Kronenbourg 1664 as your beer choices almost universally.

You’ll have to work hard to find true independent pubs that serve true cask ales. This will always be worth the effort.

I’m not even sure Old Peculier is brewed anymore, I did find a pub that served it and it was amazing. I had it prior in the US in bottles.

Hopefully the UK beer scene has changed for the better.

Lickinghole Creek -drink local, Goochland Va. farm, 290 acres producing hops, barley and beer.

Coconut Quadrupel Ale. 11.2% abv. 1pint 9.4 oz. bottle poured in a Teku glass. A bit of coconut combined with a Belgian Quad. A sweet ale, hints of raisin and plum with a coconut finish. Very light and drinkable, but you have to like coconut ( I don’t know why but I always think “it’s not the taste it’s the texture” when coconut is mentioned.)
    Last edited by accfanfrom1970; 03-27-2019 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Lickinghole Creek -drink local, Goochland Va. farm, 290 acres producing hops, barley and beer.

Coconut Quadrupel Ale. 11.2% abv. 1pint 9.4 oz. bottle poured in a Teku glass. A bit of coconut combined with a Belgian Quad. A sweet ale, hints of raisin and plum with a coconut finish. Very light and drinkable, but you have to like coconut ( I don’t know why but I always think “it’s not the taste it’s the texture” when coconut is mentioned.)
    Sounds amazing. I've seen that brewery name when looking at Richmond brewery sites. Perhaps they'll have something suitable for a tailgate this fall...