Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Dabo. He's a great coach and seems like an even better person. Every time I talk to a Clemson fan about him they just light up and they all know a story of how he did someone right. Reminds me of Coach K in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Dabo. He's a great coach and seems like an even better person. Every time I talk to a Clemson fan about him they just light up and they all know a story of how he did someone right. Reminds me of Coach K in that way.
    Obviously a terrific coach, I just wish (and I prepare to be tormented on this) he'd lay off the religious stuff a bit more...in South Carolina that opinion would get me shot, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Ha, and let's not forget Gut, who somehow squandered a national title in the Final Four vs Majerus and Utah...that team had Carter and Jamison, Utah had Andre Miller and little else...plus he recruited the dream backcourt of Boone and Morrison, to accompany Fing, did he not (memory a tad hazy on that one, too lazy to look it up...but it sounds good)?
    Well, Michael Doleac went on to become a lottery pick and had a 10 year NBA career.

Hanno Möttölä and Britt Johnsen both had 10 year NBA and European careers as well. That Utah team was not a fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Well, Michael Doleac went on to become a lottery pick and had a 10 year NBA career.

Hanno Möttölä and Britt Johnsen both had 10 year NBA and European careers as well. That Utah team was not a fluke.
    point taken, but Doleac was a sub five point/game scorer, Jamison and Carter were all stars..Utah wasn't bad at all, but Gut was soundly outcoached, and for that I shall be forever grateful.
    p.s. Shammond Williams was also on that unc team, and he had a Doleacan NBA stats himself...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Al McGuire is a great one, and the Frank Deford SI profile on him is essential reading
    https://www.si.com/vault/1976/11/29/...e-to-his-world

"If the waitress has dirty ankles, the chili will be good."

Thinking of Al just makes me think of the guys who were real characters, either intentionally or unintentionally

Rick Majerus
    https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...16/majerus0121

Buzz Williams
    https://theathletic.com/990151/2019/...buzz-williams/ ($$$$$)

Frank Layden
    https://www.si.com/vault/1985/12/16/...wonderful-life
    For those too young to know about him, Bones McKinney, colorful Wake Forest basketball coach, was something else! He was a student at Durham High School before he eventually found his way to Winston-Salem. He played college ball at NC State and Carolina. Whereas Bobby Knight simply threw chairs, Bones threw them and was given a seat belt to try to prevent getting technical fouls. It's been said that he told his players to stay on the floor (if they fell) for a while to take a break. He had more sayings than Yogi Berra. Was an ordained Baptist minister who became too much of a free spirit to stay at Wake Forest. Every time I see the deacon riding out on a motorcycle, I see Bone McKinney!

The seat belt came about when the League had a rule that the coaches had to remain in their seats when the clock was running or get a technical. Bones had trouble with the rule. 😂

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Earl Weaver and Billy Martin gave it to the umps as well as anyone ever did. Those days are pretty well over, but they were fun. Jerry Glanville always left tickets for Elvis at the will call window. Bum "one year ago we knocked on the door. This year we beat on the door - next year we'll kick the s.o.b. in!" Phillips was another icon. He has many terrific quotes.

Doug Moe when he coached the Denver Nuggets. Funny guy. I used to think he was dumbing it down, playing a role. One of my friends lived next door to him for a few years and assures me I'm wrong. Doug was just being himself.

Calvin Natt was the toughest player on the old Nuggets. Moe stood up to yell at him during a game, Calvin ran by and said "sit down, Doug". Doug sat down. I think after that he always yelled at Bill Hanzlik when Natt did something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Obviously a terrific coach, I just wish (and I prepare to be tormented on this) he'd lay off the religious stuff a bit more...in South Carolina that opinion would get me shot, I'm sure.
    That's who he is, and it's become the cornerstone of their program. The one thing every coach must do to be successful is to be themselves....and this is Dabo being Dabo.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Bobby Cremins was the most media-friendly men's hoops coach in ACC history. The least pretentious. The most approachable.

Mike Brey is close.
    I'm not a huge Cremins fan...not sure why...but Brey is there for least pretentious. He's really built himself one helluva career at Notre Dame.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Okay, I am going to be Captain Obvious here and say Jim Valvano. He was a quote machine and his time at ESPN with Dickie V in the studio was actually a lot of fun. He was one of a kind.
    Valvano on Danny Ferry....and what's a charge...or not....and the 'verticality' rule....saying something like "What the hells' verticality? I have an Italian uncle Verticality" (or words to that effect)

My high school soccer, swimming, and lacrosse coaches.
    My parents, and grandparents.

At the time, maybe not the lessons I wanted to learn.
    Generally speaking, the lessons I needed to learn, and am grateful for today.

Vic Bubas

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Vic Bubas.

He was the Duke coach during the first part of my time at Duke (We won't mention the coach for the second half). Bubas took Duke recruiting national, and was an innovator both in how the game was played and in promoting it (Duke was one of the first teams with player names on the back of the uniform and I am told Mrs Bubas choreographed the cheerleader dance routines, which again were an innovation).

Oh - and he won quite a few games

No love for Pete Gillen? Always a good interview.
    Didn't he once say that if Taymon Domzalski played at UVa they would build a statue to him, but at Duke he rides the pine (or words to that effect).

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    No love for Pete Gillen? Always a good interview.
    Didn't he once say that if Taymon Domzalski played at UVa they would build a statue to him, but at Duke he rides the pine (or words to that effect).
    The Pete Gillen quote I like the best was. “Duke’s on tv more than leave it to beaver reruns”. Of course that makes both Pete and I seem old

Chuck Daly and Sparky Anderson.

Rest in peace, gentlemen!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    My high school soccer, swimming, and lacrosse coaches.
    My parents, and grandparents.

At the time, maybe not the lessons I wanted to learn.
    Generally speaking, the lessons I needed to learn, and am grateful for today.
    He
    Yes, in that vein. I had two high school coaches that were tremendous guys. I appreciated them 50+ years ago, I revere them now.

My high school cross country coach probably had the biggest cross country team in Illinois in the 1960's and 1970's. We had 50 or 60 guys running varsity every year. Everyone from the individual state champion in 1968 to me, who was in the bottom 10%. Our coach made everyone feel important, he didn't let anyone loaf, even the guys at the end of the pack like me. He lived in my neighborhood and was also the j.v. wrestling coach. I'd go to his house on Saturdays and wrestle his sons in the basement. He was a kind, learned man who was a great example of being a man for impressionable young kids.

My high school wrestling coach had played football and wrestled at Northwestern He had a brief career as a professional wrestler and his nickname was "Dick the Bruiser" (not the real Dick the Bruiser). He was tough in the best sense of the word. I was a pretty good wrestler - always about the 2nd or 3rd best guy on the team. He knew my Dad who also worked in the school district and he was tough on me. But he never raised his voice, he never cursed, he was never abusive. He demanded our best and we gave it to him. He died about ten years ago, I couldn't return to Illinois for his funeral but wrestler after wrestler got up and talked about the influence he had on their lives.

Our last dual meet my senior year was against a rival. We won but some of our guys stole stuff from the opposing team's locker room. I didn't but I was captain that week. I had to take the stolen stuff back and apologize to the opposing coach and every wrestler on the other team. I was fearful and humiliated. It was a great life lesson for me about leadership, responsibility and being honest. I have never forgotten that.
    Last edited by MartyClark; 06-10-2019 at 08:14 PM. Reason: grammar

Sweaty Gary Williams

So odd and tightly wrapped that I was fascinated with him.

He'd crouch by the bench yelling at players who had not even been in the game and sometimes, seemingly just yelling at the world.

Weird dude. I miss him.

Yogi Berra.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    So odd and tightly wrapped that I was fascinated with him.

He'd crouch by the bench yelling at players who had not even been in the game and sometimes, seemingly just yelling at the world.

Weird dude. I miss him.
    That's what I loved about Gary (watching him live at a game was a marvel, never seen a suit coat soaked thru in the back so quickly)...a guy on the court would do a dumb thing and he'd rip into some poor guy sitting on the bench. Never failed.

Kay Yow. Pete Carrill. Mark Few. John Chaney. Remember Bobby Dye, who took Cal State Fullerton to a Final Four? What a character he was.

Mike Pressler. As much as we all love Coach Dano, let’s not forget that he got four straight trips to Memorial Day weekend, and our first championship, with Pressler’s guys.

Kevin Cassese. He is the perfect coach for a place like Lehigh, and should get most of the credit for holding the Duke program together in 2006.

Coach Cut. Coach Brooks. Coach (and crazy lax mom) Nagel.