Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    When I played, if I touched the net when making a layup, it counted as a dunk.

I still didn't have many dunks.
    I can believe that, because how many layups did you make?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    When I played, if I touched the net when making a layup, it counted as a dunk.

I still didn't have many dunks.
    i counted it as a dunk when I slapped the backboard on a layup. I could finally do that as a Senior! I even managed to hit it with both hands once in practice!

Short guys gotta do whatever we can right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I can believe that, because how many layups did you make?
    Can I count lay-up lines, shoot-arounds, practices, the years of shooting hoops in the driveway growing up?

Three or four.

Maybe it would be more accurate to count dunks while watching the game? Provided you watch the whole game and pay attention, I can't imagine a DBR person watching the game wouldn't be at least as accurate as a box score, and probably more so.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Maybe it would be more accurate to count dunks while watching the game? Provided you watch the whole game and pay attention, I can't imagine a DBR person watching the game wouldn't be at least as accurate as a box score, and probably more so.
    That's a great idea. You're hired!

Just 2 dunks against Army: Zion 1, RJ 1.

I will note that the official Duke box once again missed a dunk (it called Zion's alley-oop a "jumper"). So our season count is 9 according to the NCAA.com box score and 7 according to the official Duke box score. I hope the official Duke box mislabeling dunks doesn't become a trend.

Season totals (using NCAA.com):

Zion: 4
    RJ: 2
    Marques: 2
    Cam: 1

Total: 9

Just 2 dunks against Army: Zion 1, RJ 1.

I will note that the official Duke box once again missed a dunk (it called Zion's alley-oop a "jumper"). So our season count is 9 according to the NCAA.com box score and 7 according to the official Duke box score. I hope the official Duke box mislabeling dunks doesn't become a trend.

Season totals (using NCAA.com):

Zion: 4
    RJ: 2
    Marques: 2
    Cam: 1

Total: 9
    Who, at Duke, can you pop off a message to asking about the discrepancy? (Ducks, covers...)

-jk

Depending on which box score you look at, we either had 12 or 14 dunks tonight:

Official Duke box: 12 (Zion 5, Marques 4, RJ 1, Javin 1, Jack 1);

NCAA.com box: 14 (Zion 6, Marques 4, RJ 2, Javin 1, Jack 1).

Which gives us either 23 (NCAA) or 19 (Duke) for the season (3 games):

Zion 10 or 8;
    Marques 6 or 5;
    RJ 4 or 3;
    Cam 1;
    Javin 1;
    Jack 1;

23 (NCAA) or 19 (Duke).

Makes me wonder if we had the same problem last year? I used the Duke official box, but I never looked at the NCAA.com box. This year, NCAA.com seems more accurate. Though for the official "record" I think the Duke SID uses the official Duke box. It's a conundrum.

For what it's worth, after three games last season we had 21 dunks (either two more or two less than this season). Marvin Bagley led the team with 7 (either 1 less or 3 less than Zion).

From goduke.com: • Duke finished the game with 14 dunks, which matched the most it had in any game last season (14 vs. Louisville, 2/21/2018)

http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/5479256.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    From goduke.com: • Duke finished the game with 14 dunks, which matched the most it had in any game last season (14 vs. Louisville, 2/21/2018)

http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/5479256.pdf
    Great, except the official Duke box says 12.

disappointing and sad the article writer accounts the stats more accurately than the official scorer.
    April 1

What is up with that? They seem low all the time. This is not hard. It's not a big deal, but it is incompetent.

SCTop10 Count

With the Eastern Michigan game, that is 4 ESPN SCTop10 highlights in 3 games for Duke (actually Zion).

Game #1 - KY - SCT10-#8 - Zion nifty Block/Catch at one end/ Keyhole Assist to Barrett at the other
    Game #2 - Army - SCT10 - #3 - Zion blocks Army shot on the far side of the Army player (over Army player's head)
    Game #3 - E. Michigan - SCT10 - #9 - Zion 2nd Half (tame) Slam from Capt. Jack assist (How they missed the Tre Jones quarter court Oop assist for this, I'll never know)
    Game #3 - E. Michigan - SCT10 - #1 - Zion Two Handed 3 foot out 2.5 foot above Rim Rattler

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    What is up with that? They seem low all the time. This is not hard. It's not a big deal, but it is incompetent.
    I was about to post the same thing. How hard is it to count dunks? Either a guy dunks it or he doesn't. It's not really that ambiguous.

I could understand missing 5 dunks all season, but to miscount on the order of 2 per game is really pretty lame.

- Chillin

Depending on which box score you look at, we either had 12 or 14 dunks tonight:

Official Duke box: 12 (Zion 5, Marques 4, RJ 1, Javin 1, Jack 1);

NCAA.com box: 14 (Zion 6, Marques 4, RJ 2, Javin 1, Jack 1).

Which gives us either 23 (NCAA) or 19 (Duke) for the season (3 games):

Zion 10 or 8;
    Marques 6 or 5;
    RJ 4 or 3;
    Cam 1;
    Javin 1;
    Jack 1;

23 (NCAA) or 19 (Duke).

Makes me wonder if we had the same problem last year? I used the Duke official box, but I never looked at the NCAA.com box. This year, NCAA.com seems more accurate. Though for the official "record" I think the Duke SID uses the official Duke box. It's a conundrum.

For what it's worth, after three games last season we had 21 dunks (either two more or two less than this season). Marvin Bagley led the team with 7 (either 1 less or 3 less than Zion).
    Weren't there a couple very clear discrepencies in the dunk totals reported by the team on social media last year? Like, Duke's account would post something about Bagley having x number of dunks, but the total according to the Duke box scores as we tracked it in the thread was different (and we can now probably assume that the total according to the NCAA box scores was...even different-er)?

The official Duke box is wrong, as Zion clearly had 6. You can go to ESPN.com to watch a highlight reel showing all six in succession if you want to verify.

Maybe it's dunk envy.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    With the Eastern Michigan game, that is 4 ESPN SCTop10 highlights in 3 games for Duke (actually Zion).

Game #1 - KY - SCT10-#8 - Zion nifty Block/Catch at one end/ Keyhole Assist to Barrett at the other
    Game #2 - Army - SCT10 - #3 - Zion blocks Army shot on the far side of the Army player (over Army player's head)
    Game #3 - E. Michigan - SCT10 - #9 - Zion 2nd Half (tame) Slam from Capt. Jack assist (How they missed the Tre Jones quarter court Oop assist for this, I'll never know)
    Game #3 - E. Michigan - SCT10 - #1 - Zion Two Handed 3 foot out 2.5 foot above Rim Rattler

Larry
    DevilHorse
    And, somehow, Tre Jones' blind flip over his shoulder for a Zion dunk didn't make the top ten. How?!?!

You can see it at the 4:00 mark of this video:
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I asked last night. A member of the Duke media relations department told me 14 dunks, six by Zion Williamson, four by Marques Bolden.

FWIW.

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    And, somehow, Tre Jones' blind flip over his shoulder for a Zion dunk didn't make the top ten. How?!?!

You can see it at the 4:00 mark of this video:
    Jason - that IS the play that I refer to in parenthesis on #9. Just a great play.

Impressive too is that until yesterday's game, Zion's two SCT10 highlights were not dunks.

Larry
    DevilHorse