Page 2508 of 3384 FirstFirst ... 15082008240824582498250625072508250925102518255826083008 ... LastLast
Results 50,141 to 50,160 of 67668
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The KGB got to fondle my underwear on a daily basis (true) though I was not in them at the time. A really bizarre trip...only when I got home was I informed that we were being followed all over the city, including the subway...true Evil Empire days (1983)...really sad that particular country made so much progress, only to be sent back in time by the evil Vladamir, who longs for the days of olde...
    Not trying to be a story topper here, but my last trip to Canada the border guard asked me really polite questions about my visit.

Brandi gave a not long show here a couple years ago...beautiful outdoor venue, lightning arrive during the first song, that was it.
    Brandi is very close to the top of my "absolutely do not miss a show when the opportunity presents itself" list. I've had the pleasure of seeing her in quite a few different venues and settings, and she never fails to take me places. I love her. So sorry the weather ruined that show for you.

People on the main board care very deeply about seeding. Seems strange to me. There are a lot of really smart people on there who say exceptionally intelligent things until they say that past seeding and championships are closely correlated (they might be, but we don't know that) and that past seeding has some sort of relationship to the current season (it definitely does not). People care so deeply about things like that. I find it strange.

The KGB got to fondle my underwear on a daily basis (true) though I was not in them at the time. A really bizarre trip...only when I got home was I informed that we were being followed all over the city, including the subway...true Evil Empire days (1983)...really sad that particular country made so much progress, only to be sent back in time by the evil Vladamir, who longs for the days of olde...
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Not trying to be a story topper here, but . . . .
    You really can't top a story that begins with, "The KGB got to fondle my underwear . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    You really can't top a story that begins with, "The KGB got to fondle my underwear . . ."
    I got nothing.

People on the main board care very deeply about seeding. Seems strange to me. There are a lot of really smart people on there who say exceptionally intelligent things until they say that past seeding and championships are closely correlated (they might be, but we don't know that) and that past seeding has some sort of relationship to the current season (it definitely does not). People care so deeply about things like that. I find it strange.
    yes indeed, we've shown on many occasions we can lose to all kinds of seeds...just have to win one game at a time.

yes indeed, we've shown on many occasions we can lose to all kinds of seeds...just have to win one game at a time.
    Exactly. And people are so unbelievably bad at being happy or thankful. It doesn't mean anything if Duke doesn't win it this year. Five championships. How freaking lucky are we? It would be neat to win in his last year but settle your mess down if you think it has larger implications.

Exactly. And people are so unbelievably bad at being happy or thankful. It doesn't mean anything if Duke doesn't win it this year. Five championships. How freaking lucky are we? It would be neat to win in his last year but settle your mess down if you think it has larger implications.
    Along those lines...it is beginning to dawn on me (right or wrong) that so much of our popularity among top recruits is that we send top guys to the league just about every year, and I suspect that in the recruits' eyes, the fact we are the school of Zion, Ingram, Kyrie, Tatum et al trumps whoever won the last national title...we're really good, sometimes we win it all, no horrific thing if we don't. When I graduated I would have given one small finger for one national title so that's my perspective.

Five championships. How freaking lucky are we?
    One is never as lucky as one should have been.

Along those lines...it is beginning to dawn on me (right or wrong) that so much of our popularity among top recruits is that we send top guys to the league just about every year, and I suspect that in the recruits' eyes, the fact we are the school of Zion, Ingram, Kyrie, Tatum et al trumps whoever won the last national title...we're really good, sometimes we win it all, no horrific thing if we don't. When I graduated I would have given one small finger for one national title so that's my perspective.
    Recruits don't know who Grant Hill was.

Recruits don't know who Grant Hill was.
    And, to my delight, Michael Jordan either...ancient history.

Eh. Everyone still knows him.

he's just a dude on a shoe box.

he's just a dude on a shoe box.
    I don't know man. He's basically Babe Ruth. He is so ubiquitous that everyone knows him. The documentary helped with that as well. And he was the greatest of all time

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Like they still kinda know Bill Russell, doesn't make anybody want to go to the University of San Francisco.

I don't know man. He's basically Babe Ruth. He is so ubiquitous that everyone knows him. The documentary helped with that as well. And he was the greatest of all time
    Maybe, but I talk to high school kids who have no idea who Ronald Reagan was, nor JFK...

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    It's Michael Jordan's birthday today, btw.

I got curious - Bill Russell retired after the 68/69 season. Michael Jordan's NBA career began in 1984, a 15 year gap. Michael Jordan has now been retired for nearly 19 seasons.

I would venture to guess that new recruits know as much or more about Michael B. Jordan than they do about the older one. And yeah, the older one played two coaches ago. It's a reputation point, but not a deal closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I would venture to guess that new recruits know as much or more about Michael B. Jordan than they do about the older one. And yeah, the older one played two coaches ago. It's a reputation point, but not a deal closer.
    yes, I heartily agree on the two Jordans.

Ah, I thought I remembered you had a story! I did not recall that it involved KG-B-VDs!