Page 1908 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 90814081808185818981906190719081909191019181958200824082908 ... LastLast
Results 38,141 to 38,160 of 67405
    Method I was taught (and still advise) is grasp the steering wheel on the bottom/center. Then move your hands in the direction you want the trailer to go.

That may sound crazy, but it will make sense once you try it out. Becomes second nature after a while.

For me, the "bottom of the wheel" grasping point allows the brain to have an immediately accessible rationale for the correct/intended action.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    The real fun comes from learning to back up a tow load. Any experience there?
    Years ago, during the Soviet Evil Empire days, I had a friend with a great apartment and balcony facing the USSR consulate in Montreal...one day the KGB goons departed early (track suits, gold chains), came back with a long trailer of canoes...problem was, the street was narrow and a dead end, and these guys had zero experience backing up a long trailer. The festivities lasted for more than an hour, the women from the consulate came out to watch, we felt compelled to help by heckling the hapless goons...I wish I had a video. So indeed, I know exactly what you're referring to (the trick is that's counterintuitive, at least for me)...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Years ago, during the Soviet Evil Empire days, I had a friend with a great apartment and balcony facing the USSR consulate in Montreal...one day the KGB goons departed early (track suits, gold chains), came back with a long trailer of canoes...problem was, the street was narrow and a dead end, and these guys had zero experience backing up a long trailer. The festivities lasted for more than an hour, the women from the consulate came out to watch, we felt compelled to help by heckling the hapless goons...I wish I had a video. So indeed, I know exactly what you're referring to (the trick is that's counterintuitive, at least for me)...
    There is so much going on in this message.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    There is so much going on in this message.
    budwom = Jack Ryan as played by Don Rickles.

Did you call them a bunch of hockey pucks?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    budwom = Jack Ryan as played by Don Rickles.

Did you call them a bunch of hockey pucks?
    In my mind Budwom and Aimo are like Wu-Tang Clan. They ain't nothing to (mess) with.

Feeling pretty ridiculous now. Apparently, there's an entire subculture of "RV and Camper scams." Like, it's a thing.

Found an ad on Craigslist with a really nice looking camper for a very good price. Text back and forth with the seller, who sends me an email with pictures and a link to an eBay listing.

In my diligent research on the item, I found identical pictures from the interior of the vehicle on a listing from two years ago. Then, I looked closer and recognized that the "listing" was a spoof. It was a mocked up eBay posting, complete with external links to real eBay sites.

I reported the Craigslist ad, admonished the scammer, and didn't lose any money, but I sure feel like a dope.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Feeling pretty ridiculous now. Apparently, there's an entire subculture of "RV and Camper scams." Like, it's a thing.

Found an ad on Craigslist with a really nice looking camper for a very good price. Text back and forth with the seller, who sends me an email with pictures and a link to an eBay listing.

In my diligent research on the item, I found identical pictures from the interior of the vehicle on a listing from two years ago. Then, I looked closer and recognized that the "listing" was a spoof. It was a mocked up eBay posting, complete with external links to real eBay sites.

I reported the Craigslist ad, admonished the scammer, and didn't lose any money, but I sure feel like a dope.
    You found it out before you spent any money. I would say that makes you diligent. My mother paid $100 to someone who called her and told her they were from Microsoft and were monitoring her computer and noticed it was slowing down. So she thought there were people sitting in offices somewhere monitoring the processing speed of random computer users all over the place who called to help you out for a nominal fee. She has a master's degree in mathematics by the way.

You found it out before you spent any money. I would say that makes you diligent. My mother paid $100 to someone who called her and told her they were from Microsoft and were monitoring her computer and noticed it was slowing down. So she thought there were people sitting in offices somewhere monitoring the processing speed of random computer users all over the place who called to help you out for a nominal fee. She has a master's degree in mathematics by the way.
    I feel like I officially turned old today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I feel like I officially turned old today.
    Welcome! We are glad to have you! Now, get off my lawn.

A great scam: My father told a story about my grandfather, who saw an advertisement in a magazine for a money back guaranteed device for eliminating every bed bug in your house, if instructions were followed exactly ... all for only $5.00. Of course, he ordered it. When it arrived, it was two blocks of wood, with instructions saying to catch every bed bug in the house, place them on block ‘A, and smash them with block ‘B’.

Easter Eggs are hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    A great scam: My father told a story about my grandfather, who saw an advertisement in a magazine for a money back guaranteed device for eliminating every bed bug in your house, if instructions were followed exactly ... all for only $5.00. Of course, he ordered it. When it arrived, it was two blocks of wood, with instructions saying to catch every bed bug in the house, place them on block ‘A, and smash them with block ‘B’.
    Hah. I’m not sure how you recover from that.

Welcome! We are glad to have you! Now, get off my lawn.
    My lawn is freshly mowed but not real active yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Easter Eggs are hidden.
    Isn't that when they actually become easter eggs? Before that, they're just eggs?

-jk

I have Craftsman V19.2 tools that I've had for 20+ years, drill, string trimmer, impact wrench, reciprocating saw, etc. The 19.2 tools have been replaced, should I ditch the brand and move on to other stuff? It would be nice to have a cordless blower, etc. Probably should have gotten that when they were still making them. I'm concerned about having too many different batteries to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I have Craftsman V19.2 tools that I've had for 20+ years, drill, string trimmer, impact wrench, reciprocating saw, etc. The 19.2 tools have been replaced, should I ditch the brand and move on to other stuff? It would be nice to have a cordless blower, etc. Probably should have gotten that when they were still making them. I'm concerned about having too many different batteries to manage.
    What an amazing thread this is.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Isn't that when they actually become easter eggs? Before that, they're just eggs?

-jk
    What is it when they’re painted but not hidden then?

What an amazing thread this is.
    I didn't think Dear Abby was the place to go...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    What is it when they’re painted but not hidden then?
    Pretty. Or chocolate.

-jk