Page 41 of 204 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Catlover View Post
    Will Joe Girard attend Duke next year in 2019?
    I seriously doubt it. Looking more like Syracuse. Just my penny worth

To no real surprise, Mannion chooses UA

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    To no real surprise, Mannion chooses UA
    I heard he took a discount and settled for $80K...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Adam Rowe reporting Josiah James cancelling his Duke visit and announcing on Wednesday. Is down to Duke, Tennessee, and Clemson.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Adam Rowe reporting Josiah James cancelling his Duke visit and announcing on Wednesday. Is down to Duke, Tennessee, and Clemson.
    That does not seem to be a positive development.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    That does not seem to be a positive development.
    Many others reporting this and Clemson fans getting exited.

Wow, It seems Capel really was that good of a recruiter!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I don’t think the cancellation is necessarily meaningful. Newspapers also report that James took an unofficial visit to Duke at the end of August. With the weather issues in the Carolinas, it’s possible that he just didn’t need to take the official visit.

https://www.moultrienews.com/sports/...3b5670400.html

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I don’t think the cancellation is necessarily meaningful. Newspapers also report that James took an unofficial visit to Duke at the end of August. With the weather issues in the Carolinas, it’s possible that he just didn’t need to take the official visit.

https://www.moultrienews.com/sports/...3b5670400.html
    I would normally agree. But the fact that Slater, Rowe and Watson all changed there predictions to Clemson today isn't a great sign. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Many others reporting this and Clemson fans getting exited.
    ...as excited as they were right before Zion signed with Clem - er - Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    I would normally agree. But the fact that Slater, Rowe and Watson all changed there predictions to Clemson today isn't a great sign. We shall see.
    No it isn't, along with Evan Daniels who is money.

Josiah James is going to Clemson. But we'll see. If so, good for them. After we got Zion, turnaround is fair play. Good for them, I like Brownell and his teams play tough.

I said it after the Antoine commitment and it still holds true: Guard and Forward are positions of depth for Duke in 2019-20. Tre Jones, Jordan Goldwire, Alex O'Connell, Joey Baker, and Jack White could and quite possibly will be on the roster next season.

That being said, losing out on the top targets, when they didn't even follow through on their official visit, really stings. Prior to Antoine and now James, when was the last time a player canceled an official visit?

Wendell Moore is a must-get recruit at this point. And if Tre Jones leaves after his freshman season, then Cole Anthony becomes a high priority.

James and Antoine were strongly projected to go Duke's way. This is troubling. Inability to close on those two is not a great sign. That being said, if James thinks Tre is coming back and that he's going to be the point guard, and Clemson sold him on that, then fine. Maybe Antoine didn't want to compete with Moore for minutes. But that is looking at the glass as full as possible and its barely touching the halfway point.

Have to get Moore. I have no confidence that Stewart, Carey, or Hurt are going to sign with Duke.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

If these guys aren’t even taking their visit, I would tend to think they already know something. Maybe Jones, after watching his brother go thru the the ringer, has no plans to leave after first year. Maybe they think someone else is coming instead and don’t want to compete for PT. It would be one thing for them to come and not pick us on the day they chose, but it’s another when they cancel their visit

Fans who have been clamoring for fewer OAD’s and more multi-year players may soon be getting their wish.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Fans who have been clamoring for fewer OAD’s and more multi-year players may soon be getting their wish.
    I was never a fan of the staff's approach to this class. they knew they were going to need a big class, and they zeroed in on like 5 guys.

At this point, the lower 5 star, 4 star guys who can play at the ACC level have already started cutting their lists. And they are most likely not going to open back up for a school that has largely ignored them and not offered them up to this point.

Guys like EJ Liddel, Jaden McDaniels, etc. Bad decision to not keep in contact with. Staff got arrogant, didn't want to offer those kinds of kids who might take them and eat up roster spots before the top kids make their decisions. It's worked in the past for us, but there is a conspicuous absence from the recruiting cycle this go round..
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

There still is time in this recruiting cycle.Dont loose faith in the staff. A few hiccups shouldn't deter our optimism.

We need a big and a guard.

We can do with a back-up big if Bolden stays. We need Moore.

There are many variables at play. Most will be forever hidden to fans. Is a guy a good fit? Is he a pain in the wanker? Does he have the grades? Who on the team is likely to stay for a 2nd year? Or develop into an ACC player? Etc etc. Our coaching staff has been the best of the best at recruiting. Surely we can defer hand wringing at least until the signing period.

Just want to remind everyone that Josiah James was ranked pretty similarly to Joey Baker before Baker reclassified and came to Duke a year early. While I get that they have different skill sets, they are both seen as wings and the fact that Baker will get to spend this year in the program makes me think he will likely be the more valuable of the two players to Duke next year (assuming James had picked Duke).

Also, we are still considered the leader for Carey(#2), Anthony (#3), and Stewart (#6) in this class as well as Moore (#23). When we start missing on those top tier guys, then I will get worried.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?