Page 16 of 88 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JGDUKE2008 View Post
    Starters.
    1. Proctor 6'6
    2. Foster 6'5
    3. Mitchel 6'8
    4. Mgbako 6'8
    5. FILIP 6'8
    There is an interesting height inflation in the backcourt and height deflation in the frontcourt of this projected starting lineup.

You don't need a true center to make a run in the tourney, Michigan State doesn't have a center and they have a good shot at making the final four. What we need to improve on is bringing in guys who can defend and shoot. TJ Power is going to play a lot next year just because he can post up and is a great outside shooter. Proctor, Mitchell should for sure come back, I think Filip can benefit from another year to improve his shot and get strong. The thing going for Duke is 2023 is a loaded draft class where 2024 isn't the same. A guy like Proctor and Filip could easily be top 10-15 picks next year. Here's how I'd like to see our lineup next year.

Starters.
    1. Proctor 6'6
    2. Foster 6'5
    3. Mitchel 6'8
    4. Mgbako 6'8
    5. FILIP 6'8

Bench
    1. McCain
    2. Schutt/Blakes
    3. Power
    4. Stewart
    5. Reeves/ Young
    If Filip leaves then you def need to target a portal big. We can rely on Young playing against superior teams. He fouls too much.
    I can even see a lineup where TJ Power starts at the 3 or 4 next year to get more shooting on the floor.
    Filip is not 6'8

Here's how I'd like to see our lineup next year.

Starters.
    1. Proctor 6'6
    2. Foster 6'5
    3. Mitchel 6'8
    4. Mgbako 6'8
    5. FILIP 6'8

Bench
    1. McCain
    2. Schutt/Blakes
    3. Power
    4. Stewart
    5. Reeves/ Young
    I would be ecstatic to have that roster, I just don't know how realistic it is. It relies on all three of our "on the fence" guys choosing to stay, and three five star freshmen being willing to come off the bench. Probably the best possible scenario we could reasonably hope for.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Whatever anyone may "know" now, college kids change their minds all the time. (You should see my kid's list of changed majors!)

I'm not gonna spend a lot of time worrying about what-ifs. Put me in the wait and see camp.

-jk
    It seems so simple and yet it’s the thing our collective cognitive dissonance causes us to miss. We watch these guys play, listen to their interviews, see their social media posts, and think we know them and have insight into what they’re thinking. And 99% of the time we don’t.

I’ve got two college-age kids. I think I know them better than anyone else on Earth does and I STILL don’t know what they’re thinking half the time. Trying to read tea leaves from people we’ve never even met? Crazy sauce.

Does Roach's decision depend on the roster ?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Proctor (+15 pounds) seems like a perfect PG in today's NBA. The question for him is does he want to spend the next year in the D-League as opposed to Duke (and collect NIL).
    "Perfect NBA PG" seems a bit, um, optimistic? Perfect PG in today's NBA would be Steph, or Luka, or Trae, or Ja. They all display a varying proportion of of unearthly shooting skills and insane athleticism. Tyrese, as much as I love his play this year, has yet to show either. I'd argue that his ceiling is more along the lines of Tre Jones, who is currently ranked about last among starting NBA PG's. Not to minimize that!! To be the 30th best PG in the US is an astounding accomplishment. But I think Tyrese has yet to show all he has to offer.

He also hasn't shown up in a lot of mocks as of yet so perhaps it's just my Duke bias projecting is draft slot.
    He's shown up in no mocks in 2023, as far as I can Google. And as DBA has pointed out, the only 5-stars on no mocks who have left Duke after one year were Duval and Steward, who both went undrafted and have been mired in the G League for 4 and 2 years respectively. Not much of a precedent.

Really feels like if he comes back he'll have an excellent shot at being a lottery pick next year.
    Still skeptical. Lottery picks are expected to immediately contribute on an NBA roster--no G League detours. If they aren't getting significant minutes in the League, they are considered busts. I still am not sure I see the shooting or athleticism needed to hit that mark. Again, I think Tre Jones's arc is one I'd hope Tyrese can follow--2nd round draft, working up from bench to starter.

Still trying to emulate Mtn Devil's "they're all gone" mindset. But there are objective data suggesting we have a shot at a second year from Tyrese.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Does Roach's decision depend on the roster ?
    No. Roach is gone. It's been discussed on the board several times this year that he and his family had indicated this would be his last year, regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    No. Roach is gone. It's been discussed on the board several times this year that he and his family had indicated this would be his last year, regardless.
    I understand this, and I am assuming he is gone, but he wouldn't be the first 20 year old kid to change his mind over six months.

Proctor not showing up in mocks isn't bc he wouldn't get draft it's b/c to this point they don't believe he is coming out. That doesn't mean anything b/c it's unlikely they have an insider info.

If it is about draft position Roach should of either left last year or come back next year. I think he is a late second round pick.

the problem for Flip coming back is to improve his draft stock next year he would need to become a better shooter and outside threat which would be counter to what Duke would need from him in my opinion.

the problem for Flip coming back is to improve his draft stock next year he would need to become a better shooter and outside threat which would be counter to what Duke would need from him in my opinion.
    I fail to understand how Filipowski being a better shooter and outside threat would be bad for Duke in any way. In fact, it would be great for Duke and for Filipowski. Really great.

Agree, and will add, Flip needs to be stronger going to the basket. Added strength will help immensely.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I understand this, and I am assuming he is gone, but he wouldn't be the first 20 year old kid to change his mind over six months.
    Yea, agreed. He could very well change his mind. But with the incoming class, I'm just not sure what else there is for him to prove or gain, outside of cashing in on NIL

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I fail to understand how Filipowski being a better shooter and outside threat would be bad for Duke in any way. In fact, it would be great for Duke and for Filipowski. Really great.
    I assume BigZ is referring to incoming players with a reputation for shooting, which would mean Flip's shooting would be redundant.

But I agree - put me down for some Department of Redundancy Department in terms of long range shooting.

I seriously doubt Flip comes back, but if he does I have no problem with him adding to his skill set.

Improving those things would help Duke for sure but playing on the outside instead of the interior wouldn't help. Should of been more clear about what I meant.

Improving those things would help Duke for sure but playing on the outside instead of the interior wouldn't help. Should of been more clear about what I meant.
    Well see, that's what I get for trying to guess what another DBR resident means to say.

Apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Well see, that's what I get for trying to guess what another DBR resident means to say.

Apologies.
    no apology needed.

I doubt Flip stays, can't recall a guy who had a great Freshmen year who improved his draft stock by staying.

Agreed - it would be NECESSARY in fact, as our rim protection next year will not be nearly as good without Lively. A more productive offense will be key. Flip coming back is, in my opinion, far and away the best thing that can happen to the team next year. Conversely, him not coming back leaves us with a real weakness at the 5. Reeves/Young/Stewart or the portal can play the position, but will not be good enough against the bigger stronger teams.

It looks like the ACC is going to have another down year next year which is too bad. Having some better competition would serve us much better going into March Madness.