Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    It's not as detailed, but I can embed a 2-minute clip from the ACC Digital Network.

This is nothing against you brevity, but...Holy Cow! What a TERRIBLE job of compiling that clip by the ACC!

I was going to let it go when the bar at the bottom said the Duke women were "untied" in their goals. But when they misidentified our 2 players?!? What the heck? The ACC is beginning to show itself as a second-rate conference. So sloppy.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Misnaming the players is insulting!

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Misnaming the players is insulting!
    Next time, Couldn’t they just call them by their number?

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Next time, Couldn’t they just call them by their number?
    Very nice.

And how about our own DBR front page?

"Ashlon Jackson, who transferred from Texas" - WRONG

"Reigan Richardson, who averaged 14.7 points for Georgia last season" - WRONG

And while I respect Vanessa de Jesus, to highlight her as a returnee while not mentioning Celeste Taylor is pretty ignorant. Do they even pay attention to the women's team? It appears not.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke will start off the year with two votes in the AP poll.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Anyone go to the open practice/scrimmage this morning and want to share thoughts?

BTW, The Chronicle is highlighting players daily if you want to follow. Earlier they were just doing "film room" articles on the newbies.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/sectio...ketball/womens

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Anyone go to the open practice/scrimmage this morning and want to share thoughts?

BTW, The Chronicle is highlighting players daily if you want to follow. Earlier they were just doing "film room" articles on the newbies.

I did. Briefly, the post has been upgraded, but is only two players deep - transfers Kennedy Brown and Mia Hiede. Neither transfer Taya Corosdale nor freshman Bollin played consistently in the post, and the latter doesn't look quite ready for ACC-level ball in a PF/Wing role. While the post is better than it was, I think it is still a relative team weakness.

Newcomer Jordyn Oliver looked really good, and freshman Ashlon Jackson also showed some brilliance on occasion. Freshman Emma Koabel has a bit further to go, but should get some minutes in games that are less close and seems to have solid talent.

Most of the returning players (Taylor, Day-Wilson, De Jesus, and Volker) showed they would be similar players to last year, but I'm still not sure which version of Balogun will be on the floor this year. Hopefully the one from the first half, but an open practice isn't the way to know for sure.

All-in-all, I'm excited to see the first competitive exhibition in two weeks, and the season opener just 16 days away.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I did. Briefly, the post has been upgraded, but is only two players deep - transfers Kennedy Brown and Mia Hiede. Neither transfer Taya Corosdale nor freshman Bollin played consistently in the post, and the latter doesn't look quite ready for ACC-level ball in a PF/Wing role. While the post is better than it was, I think it is still a relative team weakness.

Newcomer Jordyn Oliver looked really good, and freshman Ashlon Jackson also showed some brilliance on occasion. Freshman Emma Koabel has a bit further to go, but should get some minutes in games that are less close and seems to have solid talent.

Most of the returning players (Taylor, Day-Wilson, De Jesus, and Volker) showed they would be similar players to last year, but I'm still not sure which version of Balogun will be on the floor this year. Hopefully the one from the first half, but an open practice isn't the way to know for sure.

All-in-all, I'm excited to see the first competitive exhibition in two weeks, and the season opener just 16 days away.
    Must spread sporks, but thanks for the in person report. I'm excited for what this year holds.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Thanks for the info. As expected our strength this year will be in the backcourt, but as long as we have a serviceable frontcourt (which I think we're probably better than that) it will make a big difference. Oliver was the #12 recruit in her class, if she's healthy this will be the deepest and most talented backcourt we've had in a long time, maybe ever. Emphasis on deepest, because Lexie and Becca were pretty darn good. Any thoughts on Reigan Richardson?

Thanks for the info. As expected our strength this year will be in the backcourt, but as long as we have a serviceable frontcourt (which I think we're probably better than that) it will make a big difference. Oliver was the #12 recruit in her class, if she's healthy this will be the deepest and most talented backcourt we've had in a long time, maybe ever. Emphasis on deepest, because Lexie and Becca were pretty darn good. Any thoughts on Reigan Richardson?
    Reigan was suited up and participated in some of the warm-ups, but sat out the five-on-fives. I'd guess she had some kind of physical issue, but I have no idea what it might be.

Reigan was suited up and participated in some of the warm-ups, but sat out the five-on-fives. I'd guess she had some kind of physical issue, but I have no idea what it might be.
    Was just thinking/wondering, were any recruits in the house?

Was just thinking/wondering, were any recruits in the house?
    I saw Jadyn Donovan (already committed), and another young lady Hannah Hidalgo (PG, top 5 overall). I was told that Delaney Thomas (a 6'2 F from DC) was also in attendance.

Lots of quality depth.. I feel that we are two deep at every position.

The three players who stood out the most to me were Oliver, Balogun, and Corosdale. I didn't know what to expect from Oliver, don't remember her playing at Baylor, and knowing that coming off of achilles tear is tough. She was bigger in person than I had envisioned, she was smooth, confident, and not afraid of driving into the lane. I didn't think she would get much playing time until January, but she will be playing major minutes from the start. From my eyes, Balogun and Corosdale didn't miss that much from deep.

Coach did say that it was there six straight day of practice. Perhaps tiredness lead to some of the sloppy plays and missed shots. Looking forward to the exhibition game.

Day-Wilson played ok, Oliver looked better to me. The top ranked freshman Jackson... she is athletic, has a smooth shot, but had too many unforced turnovers (travels). She won't start, but she will get plenty of minutes. Koabel looked fine, but she's way down on the depth chart. i really was interested in seeing Richardson, but unfortunately she sat out the scrimmages and didn't participate in all of the drills.

All in all, a good time was had. Despite the early start, there was a good crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    I saw Jadyn Donovan (already committed), and another young lady Hannah Hidalgo (PG, top 5 overall). I was told that Delaney Thomas (a 6'2 F from DC) was also in attendance.
    Thanks! I think we get Hannah. No inside information at all, but she did say Jadyn was the one player she would most like to play with (see post #138).

We've also made the final-5 of #16 Cassandre Prosper (Canadian pipeline, hope she follows Shy), who is also 6'2. Delaney is ranked #29. The wild card is the 6'4 girl from Egypt, Jana El Alfy. She's supposed to be very good. We made her final-10 list.

I expect we will get at least one of those three. Which will be an excellent class. If we get two, Kara will be in the running for the top recruiting class in the country.

Only 16 of the top-100 players have not committed. Signing day is just over 2 weeks away, we'll know soon.

Duke WBB 2022

Jim Sumner on the Lady Blue Devils:

https://jimsumner.substack.com/p/an-...lawsons-devils
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Jim Sumner on the Lady Blue Devils:

https://jimsumner.substack.com/p/an-...lawsons-devils
    Sorry, but if the men are just Blue Devils, so are the women. It's a subtle point, but important, I think.

I don't know what andscape is, but it was featured on the espn WBB page and has Shy as the leading picture.

https://andscape.com/features/womens...xcited-to-see/

And Ashlon Jackson was listed as one of the freshmen to watch in an espn article.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...etball-preview

I don't know what andscape is, but it was featured on the espn WBB page and has Shy as the leading picture.
    From their "About" page:

Quote Originally Posted by About Andscape
    Andscape is a Black-led media platform dedicated to creating, highlighting, and uplifting the diverse stories of Black identity. Magnified by the power and reach of The Walt Disney Co., the Andscape umbrella includes an editorial division, book publishing arm, film and television division, and music publishing group, each united by the shared mission of illuminating the culture and experience of Blackness. Founded in 2022, Andscape is a reimagination, expansion and diversification of The Undefeated’s former platform.

And Ashlon Jackson was listed as one of the freshmen to watch in an espn article.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...etball-preview
    In the ESPN article, the write-up states "Jackson can play on and off the ball, shoot along the perimeter and pass the ball well for coach Kara Lawson's open-floor style of play."

I had not seen the term "open-floor style of play" to describe Duke's squad last year. I'm not sure there was any coherent coaching style since the roster was always changing and it seemed undisciplined and inconsistent at best. Has Lawson eluded to anything like this or is it perhaps an observation with Duke or with Kara's international coaching?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    In the ESPN article, the write-up states "Jackson can play on and off the ball, shoot along the perimeter and pass the ball well for coach Kara Lawson's open-floor style of play."

I had not seen the term "open-floor style of play" to describe Duke's squad last year. I'm not sure there was any coherent coaching style since the roster was always changing and it seemed undisciplined and inconsistent at best. Has Lawson eluded to anything like this or is it perhaps an observation with Duke or with Kara's international coaching?
    I was very unimpressed with Kara Lawson's Coaching job last season.She should have the personnel to get some cohesion and some wins this season.