Page 26 of 164 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The finale is strange and makes very little sense. Though the movie makes a big deal about her needing to be at full strength to win, she does not use her powers (whatever they are) at the end to accomplish anything. She just tells the bad guy that what he is doing is wrong and will hurt people and he decides that everything he has been doing for the entire movie is suddenly no longer worth it. Yup, Wonder Woman becomes a super psychologist at the end. Woo hoo!

Ugh...
    I agree with your criticism. On this point, I think the idea was that she used the lasso to show him the truth (hence the earlier timeout for her to explain to us that the lasso has this power). She could not have done that without her powers.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    WW84 is real, real bad.
    And now Jenkins is off to take on Star Wars. Hopefully she will be a better Patty and not a Leroy.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

At one point, for no discernable reason, Wonder Woman starts to fly. At first she is using her lasso (which can stretch anywhere from 4 feet to 400 feet depending on the moment) to lasso... uhhh... clouds and then she is just flying on her own. She also uses the lasso to encircle lightning bolts and carry her along that way.
    Her learning to fly isn’t too far off the actually origins so they are true to the source material. My biggest problem was with the villains. They are not really evil or bad people just intoxicated with their desires. I feel bad for them more than anything. They could have remade one of the animated movies and come out with a better flick. The other issue is how does the world of Batman v Superman not know of her existence? It’s not if they mind wiped the world at the end of the movie. There was not good reason to have it set in the past especially since it was only cursory. The Goldbergs do a better job of nostalgia in 24 minutes then this movie did in 2.5 hours.

I think putting it in HBO Max was a smart decision. I don’t think it would have done well at the box office which could have poisoned the franchise...Who am I kidding? It’s DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Her learning to fly isn’t too far off the actually origins so they are true to the source material. My biggest problem was with the villains. They are not really evil or bad people just intoxicated with their desires. I feel bad for them more than anything. They could have remade one of the animated movies and come out with a better flick. The other issue is how does the world of Batman v Superman not know of her existence? It’s not if they mind wiped the world at the end of the movie. There was not good reason to have it set in the past especially since it was only cursory. The Goldbergs do a better job of nostalgia in 24 minutes then this movie did in 2.5 hours.

I think putting it in HBO Max was a smart decision. I don’t think it would have done well at the box office which could have poisoned the franchise...Who am I kidding? It’s DC.
    It was... Disappointing in every regard.

Also... There was zero plot point to taking place in 1984 other than one scene where Chris Pine tries on ridiculous outfits. Very strange choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It was... Disappointing in every regard.
    Hmm... DC = Disappointing Comics?

-jk

To be fair, 1984 was a pretty disappointing year. The movie seems destined for failure.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    To be fair, 1984 was a pretty disappointing year. The movie seems destined for failure.
    I got to see the US Men's Olympic basketball team in action that summer, so I will politely disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Hmm... DC = Disappointing Comics?

-jk
    I'd say the post-Nolan, the first WW was the only DC movie that I found even remotely interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    The other issue is how does the world of Batman v Superman not know of her existence? It’s not if they mind wiped the world at the end of the movie. There was not good reason to have it set in the past especially since it was only cursory. The Goldbergs do a better job of nostalgia in 24 minutes then this movie did in 2.5 hours.
    Yup, I was sure that something would happen at the end to destroy the wish-granting stone/Max Lord and that everything that had been granted would just go away. In fact, I thought that would be how we got rid of Chris Pine. I figured he and Wonder Woman would face the question of restoring the world versus losing Steve Trevor forever and would have to sacrifice Steve to get the world back. It would perfectly fit his character who also chose to sacrifice himself at the end of the first movie to save the world.

Instead, he sacrifices himself so Diana can get her powers back... lame! You just gave up true love so you can be super strong and flip a whip around. Awful!

But, back on point, the entire movie is Wonder Woman out in the open, saving people and impacting society. It makes her appearance in BvS is utter nonsense. Zero reason for setting this in 1984... absurd.

Meanwhile, everyone needs to read this great column that just destroys the Steve Trevor return as a wretched horror movie subplot: https://collider.com/wonder-woman-19...urn-explained/
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Yup, I was sure that something would happen at the end to destroy the wish-granting stone/Max Lord and that everything that had been granted would just go away. In fact, I thought that would be how we got rid of Chris Pine. I figured he and Wonder Woman would face the question of restoring the world versus losing Steve Trevor forever and would have to sacrifice Steve to get the world back. It would perfectly fit his character who also chose to sacrifice himself at the end of the first movie to save the world.

Instead, he sacrifices himself so Diana can get her powers back... lame! You just gave up true love so you can be super strong and flip a whip around. Awful!

But, back on point, the entire movie is Wonder Woman out in the open, saving people and impacting society. It makes her appearance in BvS is utter nonsense. Zero reason for setting this in 1984... absurd.

Meanwhile, everyone needs to read this great column that just destroys the Steve Trevor return as a wretched horror movie subplot: https://collider.com/wonder-woman-19...urn-explained/
    Well, so much for not knowing the end of the movie now, thanks for the spoilers.
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 12-27-2020 at 03:39 PM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Well, so much for not knowing the end of the movie now, thanks for the spoilers.
    Ohmygosh... I am so sorry about that. I did not even think about the fact that folks might be reading about it who have not yet seen it.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Ohmygosh... I am so sorry about that. I did not even think about the fact that folks might be reading about it who have not yet seen it.
    Which WW are y'all talking about?

-jk

Since this has now become a second DC thread, there is the news that WB plans a Wonder Woman 3.

“As fans around the world continue to embrace Diana Prince, driving the strong opening weekend performance of Wonder Woman 1984, we are excited to be able to continue her story with our real life Wonder Women—Gal and Patty—who will return to conclude the long-planned theatrical trilogy,” Warner Bros. chief Toby Emmerich said in a statement released to The A.V. Club on Sunday.
    Not that the third film has to be directly connected to the second, but I have a couple of thoughts. They are spoiler-ish, so I'll write them accordingly.

1. Little Alistair Lord says something very ambiguous early in the film...

Spoiler!

Because of the unusual way in which the film ended, this is a statement that is probably still in effect. Given the timeframe, it's not hard to imagine a third movie where Alistair is an adult.

2. DC already did this with Superman II and Superman Returns, but...

Spoiler!

Again, given the timeframe, it's not hard to imagine a third movie where he, or they, are a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Long shot maybe, but has anyone watched Ted Lasso on Apple TV? Stumbled across this, a silly premise that actually is very fun and very interesting. really. Enjoying this.
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Yeah it’s great. I feel like it has been discussed somewhere on here before but maybe I am getting confused. Either way, such a great feel good story about connecting with people. We loved every episode!
    Finished Ted Lasso today. Was a whole lot of fun.

If anyone wants something more “real” I recommend Sunderland ‘Til I Die on Netflix. A really fascinating documentary.

don't even have HBO max.

And now Jenkins is off to take on Star Wars. Hopefully she will be a better Patty and not a Leroy.
    How on earth did she land that gig (or, to be honest, this one)? I'm not really seeing anything in her portfolio that says "put this person in charge of a major project" except Wonder Woman, and, well...

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    How on earth did she land that gig (or, to be honest, this one)? I'm not really seeing anything in her portfolio that says "put this person in charge of a major project" except Wonder Woman, and, well...
    Well, I thought the first WW was delightful - up until the bizarro CGI heavy finale.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    don't even have HBO max.
    To be fair, based on the reviews I'm hearing everywhere (not just from Jason) including from some folks that I would have expected to love this movie even if they hated it, he might have done you a favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Hang on... did you not see Monster with Charlize Theron? She wrote and directed that film which was a major award flick. After that, she created and directed the pilot for the TV show The Killing, which launched Joel Kinnaman's career and was another prestige project that won awards.

She is a very highly regarded writer and director. Handing her the reigns of Wonder Woman was not unwarranted and she ended up making what is almost certainly the best film in the DCEU. Just because the second film was mediocre is no reason to think she does not have the chops to make major motion pictures.