Page 2444 of 3384 FirstFirst ... 14441944234423942434244224432444244524462454249425442944 ... LastLast
Results 48,861 to 48,880 of 67675
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I would argue the 2 most talented mainstream bands of my lifetime are REM and the Beastie Boys. Foo Fighters get an honorable mention. Nirvana as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I'd put U2 on the list.
    If we're adding names to the list, then I'm putting Prince on there by himself.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Just wondering if you do realize that the level of your conviction about an idea does not in fact change the veracity of that idea?
    You must spread comments, yada, yada, yada.

Flight home from Nashville was not cancelled. It was on time and (mostly) uneventful. The flight attendants got on the speaker to remind everyone that wearing a mask while on board was a federal requirement. They did it a again a few minutes later. Then the pilot made an announcement that mask wearing was a federal requirement adding that the flight was expected to take 2 hours and 20 minutes. Then, finally, the pilot got on again and said that everyone on the flight would be following the federal requirement and that if there was anyone who could not wear a mask, for whatever reason, for 2 hours and 20 minutes, the door was still wide open and that all passengers would either be putting on a mask right then or getting off the plane. At that point a man stood up, thanked his fellow passengers for their patience and apologized for the delay and then he GOT OFF THE PLANE!!! I mean, OK, I'm glad he made that choice instead of causing a worse incident, but wow. What an idiot. This was a direct flight TO BOSTON!!! No idea what someone who couldn't bring themselves to wear a mask on an airplane thought he was going to be doing once he got to Boston.

The figure skating was worth trip, Nashville, not so much. Nashville may be even worse at dealing with snow than Durham. I have decided to start rating places I visit on a 1 - 10 scale. I will grant that I probably saw Nashville at it's worst, but it only rates a 4 for now.

The figure skating was worth trip, Nashville, not so much. Nashville may be even worse at dealing with snow than Durham. I have decided to start rating places I visit on a 1 - 10 scale. I will grant that I probably saw Nashville at it's worst, but it only rates a 4 for now.
    Glad you had fun!

Flight home from Nashville was not cancelled. It was on time and (mostly) uneventful. The flight attendants got on the speaker to remind everyone that wearing a mask while on board was a federal requirement. They did it a again a few minutes later. Then the pilot made an announcement that mask wearing was a federal requirement adding that the flight was expected to take 2 hours and 20 minutes. Then, finally, the pilot got on again and said that everyone on the flight would be following the federal requirement and that if there was anyone who could not wear a mask, for whatever reason, for 2 hours and 20 minutes, the door was still wide open and that all passengers would either be putting on a mask right then or getting off the plane. At that point a man stood up, thanked his fellow passengers for their patience and apologized for the delay and then he GOT OFF THE PLANE!!! I mean, OK, I'm glad he made that choice instead of causing a worse incident, but wow. What an idiot. This was a direct flight TO BOSTON!!! No idea what someone who couldn't bring themselves to wear a mask on an airplane thought he was going to be doing once he got to Boston.
    Interesting. Wonder how often that happens. Both the pilots’ insistence and the man’s reticence. I’ve gotten the impression that a lot of the conflicts popping up in the news are a result of half-a**ed enforcement that has pushed the conflict down to the passengers.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Glad you had fun!
    Thank you - it was great fun. We are talking about going to San Jose together next January. Our new best friends who go every year have friended me on FB and are encouraging us to become part of their merry band.

Thank you - it was great fun. We are talking about going to San Jose together next January. Our new best friends who go every year have friended me on FB and are encouraging us to become part of their merry band.
    That is so awesome! I think I am going to start going to the volleyball final 4 every year. Love it.

Well, for a while there going to the Final Fours was a pretty good bet to see us playing. Those were the days.

While I am down on Nashville in the main (having witnessed first-hand its issues during a multi-month stay), I will not criticize it for its snow removal results, because ... well, there are just too many things broken about Nashville to worry about something that only happens a couple times a year. The main roads are not majorly affected by snow because they are dysfunctional at the best of times, so how much worse could snow make them? Traffic will only get worse, because Nashville is still on a growth spurt and refuses to consider any kind of mass transit solution. One of the most advertised modes of entertainment here is "transpotainment" (that's a "real" word here), where open-sided buses (some of them pedi-buses) full of screaming inebriates ply through the downtown streets causing noise issues for those that rent or live in the area. I won't belabor the point ... but when it came to trying to decide where to move to while staying at my MIL's house in Nashville, we decided on a minimum of 60 miles from the city. Of course, that puts us smack dab in the middle of Trump country ... but that's a whole nother issue.

Costco run all done
    Minus eight degrees oh my
    freezing my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. off

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    While I am down on Nashville in the main (having witnessed first-hand its issues during a multi-month stay), I will not criticize it for its snow removal results, because ... well, there are just too many things broken about Nashville to worry about something that only happens a couple times a year. The main roads are not majorly affected by snow because they are dysfunctional at the best of times, so how much worse could snow make them? Traffic will only get worse, because Nashville is still on a growth spurt and refuses to consider any kind of mass transit solution. One of the most advertised modes of entertainment here is "transpotainment" (that's a "real" word here), where open-sided buses (some of them pedi-buses) full of screaming inebriates ply through the downtown streets causing noise issues for those that rent or live in the area. I won't belabor the point ... but when it came to trying to decide where to move to while staying at my MIL's house in Nashville, we decided on a minimum of 60 miles from the city. Of course, that puts us smack dab in the middle of Trump country ... but that's a whole nother issue.
    I'm not criticizing them for snow removal results either. The city did reasonably well with that. What made me mentally score Nashville as below average has more to do with the parts that are, to borrow your term, broken. The city's priorities were on full display and from my point of view, those priorities are wankered.

Single digits today.

My best friend from college was recognized in DC a couple of years ago for her founding and running a program in Nashville that works with homeless children in the Metro area. She is a social worker - her husband is a song writer.

https://mnps.org/students-families/services/HERO

A lotta shoulda, woulda, coulda...

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    My best friend from college was recognized in DC a couple of years ago for her founding and running a program in Nashville that works with homeless children in the Metro area. She is a social worker - her husband is a song writer.

https://mnps.org/students-families/services/HERO
    Very cool!

I need to tell another Myrtle Beach story but I'll do it here.

Some of the funniest "cultural exchanges" I have seen are during the Myrtle biker weeks when hordes of bikers looking to party at "Suck, Bang, Blow" run into the golf course retirement crowd. My parents live not far from Myrtle so we get down several times a year. One of those times, we ended up behind a gentleman and his well-derriered lady astride his crotch rocket, which was blaring rap music. The lady was wearing a thong bikini and so most of her ample backside was exposed and she was dancing at each stop. It was 2 PM.

They pulled up next to this older couple in a Cadillac at a stop light. Those poor people were doing everything they could to look but not look. Unfortunately, the lady caught them and when she saw them, she pointed at them, yelled something unintelligible and started vigorously twerking and yelled at them some more. The older couple stared straight ahead and you could just sense their desperation for the light to turn green.

It was positively delightful. I love Myrtle. It knows what it is and leans into it. You can have a family friendly time but you can also have one of the messiest most chaotic times in America there.

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I need to tell another Myrtle Beach story but I'll do it here.

Some of the funniest "cultural exchanges" I have seen are during the Myrtle biker weeks when hordes of bikers looking to party at "Suck, Bang, Blow" run into the golf course retirement crowd. My parents live not far from Myrtle so we get down several times a year. One of those times, we ended up behind a gentleman and his well-derriered lady astride his crotch rocket, which was blaring rap music. The lady was wearing a thong bikini and so most of her ample backside was exposed and she was dancing at each stop. It was 2 PM.

They pulled up next to this older couple in a Cadillac at a stop light. Those poor people were doing everything they could to look but not look. Unfortunately, the lady caught them and when she saw them, she pointed at them, yelled something unintelligible and started vigorously twerking and yelled at them some more. The older couple stared straight ahead and you could just sense their desperation for the light to turn green.

It was positively delightful. I love Myrtle. It knows what it is and leans into it. You can have a family friendly time but you can also have one of the messiest most chaotic times in America there.
    Fantastic story!

When is your trip Ymo?