Page 323 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 2232733133213223233243253333734238231323 ... LastLast
Results 6,441 to 6,460 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Hellhound on My Ale(2013)-Dogfish Head Brewing

From the brewers/label:

"Hellhound is a super-hoppy ale that hits 100 IBUs in the brewhouse and 10% ABV. It's dry-hopped with 100% Centennial hops at a rate of 100 kilos per 100 barrel brew-length. Can you tell we're stoked for this mighty musical centennial?
    To accentuate and magnify the citrusy notes of the Centennial hops (and as a shoutout to Robert Johnson's mentor Blind Lemon Jefferson), we add dried lemon peel and flesh to the whirlpool."

Tens and powers thereof are wild in this IIPA. Poured a cloudy orange-yellow from the 750 ml bottle shared by August West last PM, the immediate nose was freshly grated lemon zest and citrus aromas. First tasting impression was also citrusy with some brown sugar, caramel and again, lemon. Interesting IBU rating with the statement above but on their website listing 58. This accompanied first courses last PM of slaw, wings and early choppings of our pig. It aged nicely.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Top Sail (2012)-Full Sail Brewing

It went downhill from the opening snap, err cap, at tailgate last PM, too. Well, in terms of ABV at least. This is a bourbon barrel aged imperial porter I've cellared for 2-2.5 years now and we shared it yesterday. Poured a deep, dark brown with a mildly foamy, light mocha head. Immediate aromas of booze, followed by figs, chocolate and dark brown sugar. Tastes were even more figgy, dark chocolatey, oaky, vanilla-like and perhaps a bit less boozey. Somewhat surprisingly, none of us appreciated much coffee, a flavor typical "present" in porters. IBUs at 40 and ABV printed as 9.5%, so just a shade lower than our "appetizer" ale. This was paired with some more chopped 'cue, corn casserole/pudding and TNTDevil's spicy/hot baked beans. It would be equally at home in a snifter being sipped for dessert or with your favorite chocolate cake/pie/pastry.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Cold Mountain Winter Ale-Highland Brewing Company

Many thanks to ricks 68 for standing in line at the brewery on release date last week to procure 6 bottles of this for me, donating 3 more to the Saturday Brunchgate and finding any additional hour or three for consuming several samples of brewery-release only iterations of this. Poured a clear ruby-tinged dark brown with a somewhat small fizzy head. Aromas of vanilla and nuts with well-blended tastes of the same accompanied by a bit of brown sugar, toffee and baking spices. I couldn't place the other tastes as a shared a 12 ounce bottle with my younger daughter Wednesday night but the label also lists raspberry and cranberry extracts along with cinnamon. Grains are 2-Row Brewers Malt, Pilsen, Vienna, Chocolate, Wheat, Caramel 40, Caramel 60 with the hops being Cascade and Mount Hood, IBUs listed at 28 and ABV is 5.2%. The bitterness is minimal as I'd expect from this style but the ABV is a bit low for a winter warmer ale. A very flavorful concoction that should be sought out if known to be available in your area.
    A brilliant winter beer. Among my favorites and world class.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I've got a couple extra, if you're interested...

Salted Belgian Chocolate Stout-New Belgium Brewing and Perennial Artisan Ale

Another step down here, but only by ABV. Poured a dark, semi-sweet chocolate color with a moderate, light tan head and gorgeous aromas of cocoa, dark chocolate and dried, dark fruits. Hints of salt were present at the finish with a very smooth mouthfeel up front. Roasted bitterness only as the IBUs are 35, a tad low for this style, with the expected ABV of an imperial stout at 9%. Nugget hops with lots of grains including Pale, Munich, Special W/ Caramel 220, Carafa II/Roasted Chocolate Malt. Chocolate, calcium and sodium chloride salts conclude the additives. As expected, this paired well with double chocolate brownies and a thin slice of Reese's Peanut Butter and Dark Chocolate cheesecake. August West gets huge applause for bringing this collaboration bomber to share.

Gingerbread Stout-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

Well worth the time of anticipation. Duketaylor was kind enough to bring 2-750 ml bottles of this last PM, one to share and one for me. I'm accumulating my tab again, Chuck. Thanks! Poured an inky black with a tinge of brown and an almost medium tan head. It's an imperial milk stout brewed with local Virginia wildflower honey and ginger, further enhanced with the addition of Madagascar vanilla beans and Vietnamese cinnamon. The aromas are pleasant winter spices and all have their place in the concoction. Milk sugar (lactose) and oats are part of the grain bill but no others are listed. No hop names are included either and the IBUs are 55 with a potent ABV of 9.2%. Once again, I've described dessert in a glass or it could be served with pumpkin cheesecake as it was last night, or peanut butter sandwich cookies or any of the other decadent desserts that were prepared for us last PM. As one might be able to tell, our tailgate was far more tasty and enjoyable than the product on the field yesterday.

Didn't realize the IBU's were so high in that brew since it's so complex and the "bitterness" is so well-hidden. One of their assistant brewers is an acquaintance of mine; I'll attempt to gain a little more info on this particular beverage from him. Except for the fball game, it was a very fun evening.

Tonight's bball game, which just ended, was a tad more pleasant, even if not very pretty. On to JD and Stanford tomorrow night!!

Cold Mountain Winter Ale-Highland Brewing Company

Many thanks to ricks 68 for standing in line at the brewery on release date last week to procure 6 bottles of this for me, donating 3 more to the Saturday Brunchgate and finding any additional hour or three for consuming several samples of brewery-release only iterations of this. Poured a clear ruby-tinged dark brown with a somewhat small fizzy head. Aromas of vanilla and nuts with well-blended tastes of the same accompanied by a bit of brown sugar, toffee and baking spices. I couldn't place the other tastes as a shared a 12 ounce bottle with my younger daughter Wednesday night but the label also lists raspberry and cranberry extracts along with cinnamon. Grains are 2-Row Brewers Malt, Pilsen, Vienna, Chocolate, Wheat, Caramel 40, Caramel 60 with the hops being Cascade and Mount Hood, IBUs listed at 28 and ABV is 5.2%. The bitterness is minimal as I'd expect from this style but the ABV is a bit low for a winter warmer ale. A very flavorful concoction that should be sought out if known to be available in your area.
    Had my first Cold Mountain of the year this week - for those who don't know, Highland is proud of the fact that each year there are recipe tweaks. Honestly, this year's batch feels a bit lacking me. I feel two years ago was a high point for Highland. I am not as technical with my beer language as many folks on this thread, but I will say I found it to be bit "thin." This was a 22oz from Harris Teeter, and I will try it on tap when I run across it for comparison.

As a contrast, I prefer the NinjaBread Man - Asheville Brewing Company's spiced and sweetened porter that is back on tap and in 22s on Merrimon Avenue. A half pour will take you a long way.

Word is the JT's Oatmeal Stout should be on tap there any day now too.

And that's your North Asheville beer report.

I'm pretty excited. We're making a Better Not Pout Stout. It's our first with wonderful, fragrant additives: fresh orange peel, freshly minced ginger, freshly grated nutmeg, freshly ground cloves, cinnamon, and freshly ground allspice. The East Kent Golding hops have been boiling in the wort and we just added the goodies along with...drumroll, please...our own Cascade hops.

It smells like Christmas! Especially with the lingering aroma of the gingerbread biscotti I made earlier today. If this tastes anything like it currently smells, this ought to be a wonderful beverage.

How was your first hops-growing season? How many hills/plants and how many ounces of fresh hops? Using your fresh hops, how did you decide how much to use? I'm guessing you've done a 5-gallon batch, correct? Just curious. CT

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Had Cold Mountain as well as 2013 and 2014 La Folie at Tyler's in Apex tonight.

Glorious evening, all fantastic!!!

fuse, might you make the Wake game Saturday? I plan to attend.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    fuse, might you make the Wake game Saturday? I plan to attend.
    As I type this, I have every intention of being in Wally Wade for the Wake game.

Looking forward to it!

First time poster in this thread, so be gentle

Oskar Blues Ten Fidy Imperial Stout

Picked up a growler of this offering on Friday at our local Whole Foods, knowing that it would be for early-day November tailgating when the VPISU Hokies visited Switzerland's BB&T Field this weekend. The name is a reference to the 10.5% ABV (!!). A *very* dark pour with a head that makes you think, "This is hot chocolate with a kick," especially then poured into a styrofoam cup. (When one is a tailgating guest, one makes due with what one has on hand.) Very much a coffee beer, with a nice sweetness on the back end. But one must pace oneself at that alcohol level, and some was left over as a dessert beer with some dark chocolate (which was an awesome combo). Not an everyday sipper, by any stretch, but really good under the right conditions.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Oskar Blues Ten Fidy Imperial Stout

Picked up a growler of this offering on Friday at our local Whole Foods, knowing that it would be for early-day November tailgating when the VPISU Hokies visited Switzerland's BB&T Field this weekend. The name is a reference to the 10.5% ABV (!!). A *very* dark pour with a head that makes you think, "This is hot chocolate with a kick," especially then poured into a styrofoam cup. (When one is a tailgating guest, one makes due with what one has on hand.) Very much a coffee beer, with a nice sweetness on the back end. But one must pace oneself at that alcohol level, and some was left over as a dessert beer with some dark chocolate (which was an awesome combo). Not an everyday sipper, by any stretch, but really good under the right conditions.
    If it's your first post in this thread and that's the beer you chose to review then most of the remainder of your participation will be downhill from here as I think (and many others do, too) that Ten Fidy is a fabulous beer. Excellent choice and review. Come join us at our tailgate next Saturday, with another fine ale, of course.

If it's your first post in this thread and that's the beer you chose to review then most of the remainder of your participation will be downhill from here as I think (and many others do, too) that Ten Fidy is a fabulous beer. Excellent choice and review. Come join us at our tailgate next Saturday, with another fine ale, of course.
    I like to make a splash, as you never have a second chance to make a first impression. Regrettably (or not, actually), I'll be in Pinehurst playing #2 next Saturday (Mother Nature permitting). That stout is too strong for swing oil, though...

Monster (2008)-Brooklyn Brewing

I'm really running low on these vintages and this may be my last 2008. Poured during the Duke win over Temple on Friday, it was a slightly cloudy dark amber with a small amount of sediment from a 12 ounce bottle. Pretty complex aromas and tastes as expected with notes of sherry, caramel and tobacco upon decanting and some dark brown sugar, rum and dark cherry notes after sipping. The head was small and there were no indications of spoilage. Very smooth, cloying mouthfeel with mild bitterness perception in spite of its suspected high IBUs based on the style, guessing 70-80. ABV weighing in at 10.3% which is just a bit lower than earlier editions. This is not listed as one of their seasonals so I fear that they have stopped production of this as fuse stated a couple years ago. Sad. I enjoyed a 2009 last PM during the Duke-Stanford tussle and that review is at the scorer's table.

Monster (2008)-Brooklyn Brewing

I'm really running low on these vintages and this may be my last 2008. Poured during the Duke win over Temple on Friday, it was a slightly cloudy dark amber with a small amount of sediment from a 12 ounce bottle. Pretty complex aromas and tastes as expected with notes of sherry, caramel and tobacco upon decanting and some dark brown sugar, rum and dark cherry notes after sipping. The head was small and there were no indications of spoilage. Very smooth, cloying mouthfeel with mild bitterness perception in spite of its suspected high IBUs based on the style, guessing 70-80. ABV weighing in at 10.3% which is just a bit lower than earlier editions. This is not listed as one of their seasonals so I fear that they have stopped production of this as fuse stated a couple years ago. Sad. I enjoyed a 2009 last PM during the Duke-Stanford tussle and that review is at the scorer's table.
    Monster (2009)

Next to my last bottle of this, IIRC. Poured a bit more cloudy with a bit more sediment than the 2008. Very similar olfactory and gustatory sensations as the 2008. I'm not sure I could tell the difference in a blind tasting. Has remained consistently smooth from the first bottle from the 4 pack (or was it a 6er that long ago?), unlike some barleywines that are quite rough/bitter when they are released. I miss Old Boardhead, Old Knucklehead and Old Horizontal, though it appears this has been brewed again according to Victory's website. I'll probably continue to avoid Old Foghorn considering how much I like it because last time I saw it a year or so ago I think it was $25 for the 6er.

A shout-out to Granville Island Brewing (Vancouver, BC) for their Winter Ale. Partook on-location while visiting Vancouver about six weeks ago. Distribution is limited to North of the Border, I believe, so getting one's hands on it will be a challenge. Medium brown in color, it is almost like drinking melted caramel chews with a hint of toffee. 5.5% ABV, with IBU of 22 and Gravity of 12.9. My wife proclaims it the best beer she has ever had, and I think it's on the short-list for me as well. Really, really good for warming-up by a fire after a tasty meal.

More info here:

http://gib.ca/beer/lions-winter-ale/
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    A shout-out to Granville Island Brewing (Vancouver, BC) for their Winter Ale. Partook on-location while visiting Vancouver about six weeks ago. Distribution is limited to North of the Border, I believe, so getting one's hands on it will be a challenge. Medium brown in color, it is almost like drinking melted caramel chews with a hint of toffee. 5.5% ABV, with IBU of 22 and Gravity of 12.9. My wife proclaims it the best beer she has ever had, and I think it's on the short-list for me as well. Really, really good for warming-up by a fire after a tasty meal.

More info here:

http://gib.ca/beer/lions-winter-ale/
    If there's any available in Winston-Salem, you should drink a bottle or pint of Highland Brewing's Cold Mountain Winter Ale. Excellent winter seasonal.