Page 1938 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 93814381838188819281936193719381939194019481988203824382938 ... LastLast
Results 38,741 to 38,760 of 67385
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'm just smart enough to know that there's a lot I don't know.
    I do feel lately that I keep repeating myself in this thread, but, you know, after 13+ years, do I really have anything new to say? Anyway, because of my husband's work, I have met (and had dinner) with a lot of Nobel prize winning scientists. They are, by and large, a humble lot. The smartest people are the ones who know what they don't know. The Nobel prize winners also admit it.

It's truly insane to imagine how burly this could have gotten if it were infectious and lethal to younger folks.
    We didn't know in the early days of the pandemic and we were in a situation where all of the ventilators at hospitals were being utilized on adults and I got to be part of a Consortium of medical professionals working with the FDA with resource allocation and it was enlightening to say the least. Even though it didn't affect babies, the loss of material resources did and we were scrambling to fill the void. I worked with a very heroic neonatologist in South Carolina to come up with some emergency solutions for neonatal ventilation.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Got a 33 inch, 26 pound monster with some flint stones band aids from his boosters.
    This child will not need to be worked up for failure to thrive. Seems to like the groceries.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I do feel lately that I keep repeating myself in this thread, but, you know, after 13+ years, do I really have anything new to say? Anyway, because of my husband's work, I have met (and had dinner) with a lot of Nobel prize winning scientists. They are, by and large, a humble lot. The smartest people are the ones who know what they don't know. The Nobel prize winners also admit it.
    It is impossible for me to agree more. The truly intellectually advanced are humble, willing to share their information and open to new ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    This child will not need to be worked up for failure to thrive. Seems to like the groceries.
    Yeah. I think I mentioned before that at that the last appointment he had grown so fast from being premature <3% to across the board 90+% in a year that they ordered a bunch of extra tests just to be sure. Turns out he was just wired for size.

Leaping into World War I with my 7th graders today. It’s a remarkably easy way to come back from Spring Break...I love to teach this material, kids this age find it really engaging, and I know it so well that I can pick it back up very easily. I’m also extremely proud to be more or less on schedule with my rather aggressive World History curriculum this year.
    Doesn’t even feel like work.

That's pretty cool. You're also making me think that maybe I'm smarter than I thought, which can't possibly be the case. I do know what I don't know but it's just A LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Early in the Pandemic and UFO threads I weighed in. But then RSVman, John B and Devilhorse weighed in in those 2 threads and I recognized that I was like Donny. Out of my element.

So Marie carried the act?

Definitely they are carrying the load. I feel like I have gained more reliable information from DBR about COVID than any other source.

Not sure what that says, actually, now that I type it and read it.
    You are not alone in that thinking.

Day 3 of 4 on all day video meetings.

Ugh.

I do feel lately that I keep repeating myself in this thread, but, you know, after 13+ years, do I really have anything new to say?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Leaping into World War I with my 7th graders today. It’s a remarkably easy way to come back from Spring Break...I love to teach this material, kids this age find it really engaging, and I know it so well that I can pick it back up very easily. I’m also extremely proud to be more or less on schedule with my rather aggressive World History curriculum this year.
    speaking of world history (which I happen to enjoy) I'm currently reading the new, most excellent biography of Sir Francis Drake entitled In Search of a Kingdom: Francis Drake, Elizabeth I and the Perilous Birth of the British Empire.
    Pretty fascinating to read about some guy circumnavigating the globe in the 1500s...

Got a 33 inch, 26 pound monster with some flint stones band aids from his boosters.
    Almost a three foot Antichrist.

-jk

Yeah. I think I mentioned before that at that the last appointment he had grown so fast from being premature <3% to across the board 90+% in a year that they ordered a bunch of extra tests just to be sure. Turns out he was just wired for size.
    I have a nephew who is 2 1/2. At 15 mos, he figured out how to open the refrigerator and help himself to snacks. Not fat, just a big kid, solid as a rock. We were at one of the last Duke football games of 2019, and at 11 mos, he was twice the size of an 18 mo girl he was chatting with.

Of course, the other day my niece told me she caught him licking the headlight of a car in the parking lot. Not sure about the mental growth just yet.

The Guns of August was an UNBELIEVABLE book about the outbreak of the war.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    This was on one of our CDs when I managed American Eagle Outfitters after college and it is straight fire.

I'm curious how much you may alter content or I guess emphasis on certain events, etc. based on class/individual interest?

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I have a nephew who is 2 1/2. At 15 mos, he figured out how to open the refrigerator and help himself to snacks. Not fat, just a big kid, solid as a rock. We were at one of the last Duke football games of 2019, and at 11 mos, he was twice the size of an 18 mo girl he was chatting with.

Of course, the other day my niece told me she caught him licking the headlight of a car in the parking lot. Not sure about the mental growth just yet.
    Maybe he was attracted to salt from the roads due to winter storms?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    speaking of world history (which I happen to enjoy) I'm currently reading the new, most excellent biography of Sir Francis Drake entitled In Search of a Kingdom: Francis Drake, Elizabeth I and the Perilous Birth of the British Empire.
    Pretty fascinating to read about some guy circumnavigating the globe in the 1500s...
    How could that happen? Everyone knew it was flat back then! I heard it from Kyrie.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    How could that happen? Everyone knew it was flat back then! I heard it from Kyrie.
    plus from what I gather, there were NO McDonalds or Motel 6s on his route, nothing. But they did have a lot of wine and ale...