Page 306 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 2062562963043053063073083163564068061306 ... LastLast
Results 6,101 to 6,120 of 67406
    Hmmm...a lot of Muppet stuff here.

I am not a Muppet. I've never been a Muppet. Just thought I'd stop by & say hi.

Slow night around these parts.
    I'm not a Muppet either, but I'd really like to meet some.
    Do they let Pulitzer winners on Sesame Street?

I'm not a Muppet (as I mentioned), but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Well, not really.

Can't help you with the Pulitzer Winners on SS. You planning on winning one?

If they do, then they will have lowered their standards.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    If they do, then they will have lowered their standards.
    Nothing to do with the Muppets, but, hey, Ymo, you're almost there.

Wilson's and Turk's discussion about Christmas movies got me to thinking about Christmas movies. One of my favorites is Love is All Around.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Can't help you with the Pulitzer Winners on SS. You planning on winning one?
    Yeah, I kind of am. I'll keep everyone posted.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Yeah, I kind of am. I'll keep everyone posted.
    Until you do, you could at least get warmed up by starting this year's official "DBR Head Elf" thread. It is, after all, that time of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Until you do, you could at least get warmed up by starting this year's official "DBR Head Elf" thread. It is, after all, that time of the year.
    No, it's not. It is not officially The Most Wonderful Time of the Year until next week. I've actually been really fretting about this. I feel compelled to initiate the thread, but I'm worried that my traditionalist tendencies will result in someone else beating me to the punch. If that happens though, so be it; I will be the most prolific poster in the Christmas thread anyway, and I refuse to abandon my principles just to have the first post.

No, it's not. It is not officially The Most Wonderful Time of the Year until next week. I've actually been really fretting about this. I feel compelled to initiate the thread, but I'm worried that my traditionalist tendencies will result in someone else beating me to the punch. If that happens though, so be it; I will be the most prolific poster in the Christmas thread anyway, and I refuse to abandon my principles just to have the first post.
    Good for you, Wilson. Stick to your traditionalist tendencies. Christmas does not start until after Thanksgiving. I say that any Christmas thread started before that day should be deleted. The DBR Head Elf gets to start the Christmas thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Good for you, Wilson. Stick to your traditionalist tendencies. Christmas does not start until after Thanksgiving. I say that any Christmas thread started before that day should be deleted. The DBR Head Elf gets to start the Christmas thread.
    Thanks for the backup...I knew there was a reason I proclaimed you Associate Head Elf.

Will this thread be anything and everything about Christmas or about certain aspects of Christmas as deemed by you, the Head Elf?

Thanks for the backup...I knew there was a reason I proclaimed you Associate Head Elf.
    You are welcome - I'm glad I'm fulfilling my duties as Associate Head Elf.

I'm looking forward to changing my dishes Friday morning after Thanksgiving - everyday dishes get packed away and my Christmas dishes come out.

When do you take your tree down?

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Will this thread be anything and everything about Christmas or about certain aspects of Christmas as deemed by you, the Head Elf?
    I am the most expansive of celebrators of the season, so anything and everything Christmas-related is fair game. I wouldn't dream of trying to limit or prescribe good cheer. Sometime late in the first day of the thread (as soon as it gets dark on Friday), I'll post pics of the lights on my house. We'll talk Christmas tunes, old and new. Christmas movies. Festivals, parties, and other celebrations. Gift-giving deliberations. You get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    You are welcome - I'm glad I'm fulfilling my duties as Associate Head Elf.

I'm looking forward to changing my dishes Friday morning after Thanksgiving - everyday dishes get packed away and my Christmas dishes come out.

When do you take your tree down?
    The date of removal of my tree depends on what I end up doing for New Year's. If I go out of town (as has been a common occurrence in recent years), it'll just come down when I get back. I definitely won't take it down before New Year's. I'm not one of those who deems it bad luck to leave it up into the new year. Plus, if we're really going to get traditional, it should remain up through the 12 days of Christmas, before coming down on Jan. 6, the traditional date of the arrival of the magi (and thus the original reason for "the 12 days of Christmas").
    Taking down Christmas decorations is the fastest bit of cleaning or other organization that I ever do, because I find it genuinely depressing. I have a couple of days of very real post-seasonal blues every year. De-festooning my house is something that I just want to be done with as quickly as possible.

The date of removal of my tree depends on what I end up doing for New Year's. If I go out of town (as has been a common occurrence in recent years), it'll just come down when I get back. I definitely won't take it down before New Year's. I'm not one of those who deems it bad luck to leave it up into the new year. Plus, if we're really going to get traditional, it should remain up through the 12 days of Christmas, before coming down on Jan. 6, the traditional date of the arrival of the magi (and thus the original reason for "the 12 days of Christmas").
    Taking down Christmas decorations is the fastest bit of cleaning or other organization that I ever do, because I find it genuinely depressing. I have a couple of days of very real post-seasonal blues every year. De-festooning my house is something that I just want to be done with as quickly as possible.
    I don't take my tree down until mid-January. Have had this tree in my family for over 30 years, thus no need to water.

Question A ruling required

... what is the official day to the start of Christmas season? When "AFTER" Thanksgiving is the first official day of the season, Head Elf?

See, I'm bugged by the first Christmas commercials starting in October, and I'm bugged by the Christmas stuff appearing in all the grocery stores now. And I'm bugged even by the lights going up now.

And if logic dictates that Christmas Season starts after Thanksgiving, can you imagine what the folks up in Canada have to deal with, given when Thanksgiving starts up there? [this is a blatant shout out to colchar]

Some serious questions for the Head Elf.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    ... what is the official day to the start of Christmas season? When "AFTER" Thanksgiving is the first official day of the season, Head Elf?

See, I'm bugged by the first Christmas commercials starting in October, and I'm bugged by the Christmas stuff appearing in all the grocery stores now. And I'm bugged even by the lights going up now.

And if logic dictates that Christmas Season starts after Thanksgiving, can you imagine what the folks up in Canada have to deal with, given when Thanksgiving starts up there? [this is a blatant shout out to colchar]

Some serious questions for the Head Elf.
    To me, the precise moment when the Christmas season begins has traditionally been that when Santa appears onscreen at the end of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. That's when it always hits me, and I shed a tear or two (seriously). In recent years, the parade's quality has really declined though, so I think the line of demarcation is a bit more fungible now. Thanksgiving Day, to me, is its own special day which also ushers in the Christmas season. The first full day of "Christmastime," I suppose, is the day after. In some years, when I particularly need a little Christmas, or when Thanksgiving falls particularly late on the calendar (as it does this year), I have been known to fudge a bit, and declare that the Christmas season begins at Thanksgiving, meaning Thanksgiving break from school. This frees me to listen to Christmas music on the way to my grandmother's for Turkey Day, a day or two early...but don't tell anyone. My decorations, though, never go up until the day/weekend following Thanksgiving.
    I won't be able to open the Yuletide thread until Friday morning, as my grandmother is, um, not exactly wired. And anyway, if anybody is hanging out on the boards on Thanksgiving Day, then you have problems (Canucks perhaps excepted...sorry colchar).

Jan 6 has been traditional in our family - but that varies a little based on time constraints. I always find that I have forgotten to put away one decoration in some obscure location, or not so obscure sometimes, and find it at the end of January. Last year, it was my Snoopy Santa so I just changed his clothes.