Page 784 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 28468473477478278378478578679483488412841784 ... LastLast
Results 15,661 to 15,680 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I can neither conform or deny that a friend may have smuggled a six-pack or two across the Wisconsin lines
    My lips are sealed, unless, of course I'm having a pint after work tonight after a weekend of call/work and no imbibing.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I typically love Jade, but I think I got snake-bit by the "freshness" thing with this particular bomber. It likely had been sitting on a store shelf for a while, and then in my storage area for a bit more. Live & learn.

Separately, Foothills' Craft Happiness IPA series has been outstanding. I had a draft pint of their "Dune" IPA on Saturday and it was excellent. Orange-brown color, nice off-white head. Just enough citrus and just enough pine. A delicious IPA. And I haven't had anything but good experience with the other Craft Happiness brews. They don't have wide distribution (I think they're only sold within Foothills' own facilities, and maybe some local bottle shops like Stella Brew), but worth seeking out.
    They used to feature a single hop IPA of the month back a year or two ago. Have they added to or changed their "theme?"

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    They used to feature a single hop IPA of the month back a year or two ago. Have they added to or changed their "theme?"
    Yes, Craft Happiness is different. The IPAs are specially crafted, and then directed/themed toward a particular cause. For instance, Dune "is brewed to bring awareness to beach upkeep and preservation."
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Yes, Craft Happiness is different. The IPAs are specially crafted, and then directed/themed toward a particular cause. For instance, Dune "is brewed to bring awareness to beach upkeep and preservation."
    We'll do our part with a trip to Topsail in a couple weeks and pounding the sand and supporting the coastal craft beer industry.

Beer name of the day?

Doin' Thyme

Beer name of the day?

Doin' Thyme
    Or this?

First Blush of Sin

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Last year at the tailgating I brought Hardywood "Ruse" which was awesome.. I know we are coming to the UVA game this year (thus guaranteeing a win because Ms. Duke fan never loses) but was planning on Ardent this year. Hardywood released its "Trickery". Like Ruse a imperial milk stout aged in bourbon barrels.. 13%, aged 13 months in buffalo trace bourbon barrels. I may not be able to wait, but at $19.99 per 1.9 oz. bottle, I can't afford more than one!
    Interesting. The Hardywood website lists this as an apple brandy barrel aged beer, but, that may be outdated. We'd be happy to help you sip either variety, along with our usual assortment of fine ales.

I see you, Brewery Bhavana:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/article...new-breweries/

devildeac, might be time for a short road trip:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/49659/

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I see you, Brewery Bhavana:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/article...new-breweries/

devildeac, might be time for a short road trip:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/49659/
    Yes, indeed. They had a tap takeover night at Bottle Rev near my office a few weeks back. It may have been that Friday afternoon we couldn't meet-up after work.

Waaaay too long waiting to review this. From last week:

Follow Your Heart Southward-Casita Cerveceria

The last beer this "gypsy" brewer ever brewed at Hill Farmstead before returning to his roots in eastern NC and starting to brew again at Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery. It wasn't ready when he left Hill Farmstead last year so he had to return this winter/spring to pick up/bottle/transport the concoction back to NC.

A new, local bottle shop, Falls Village Wine and Beer, got a couple cases of this from the head brewer, accountant, marketing director, distributor of this new brewery and it apparently wasn't moving too quickly at $22/500 ml bottle () so he had a "rare" beer night last week and poured 6 ounce aliquots for $7 each. Glad he emailed me with the notification.

This beer was amazing. Pour was thick and black with a thin rim of a mocha head. Seductive nose of dark chocolate, espresso and bourbon. Immediate tastes of semi-sweet chocolate, chewy fudge. Strong but not overpowering dark roast coffee was present with a bit of nuttiness, dark, dark caramel, molasses hints of vanilla and a warm, boozy finish. It is an imperial stout that was bourbon barrel-aged for a year with pecan coffee on cocoa nibs with vanilla added. I'll guess IBUs about 50 and the ABV was 11% so I sipped my portion for about 30 minutes. Maybe more. Name your favorite BBA RIS and this one will equal or better it. Beyond decadent.

For you folks in NC, if you ever see any Casita Cerveceria brews on tap or in cans, buy one or several. You will not be disappointed. The several products I've sampled so far have been excellent but that comes as no surprise considering where the founder learned his craft.

Streamside Mango-Neuse River Brewing Company

NC Beer Month is gone but I have a few leftovers .

This was a ~$4 pint can from a local brewery (about 7 miles from our house) that I never sampled until visiting the new bottle shop mentioned in the post above and the owner offered 10% off a mixed 6er so...

Pour was a hazy sunshine hue with a mildly sour nose. It is indeed a sour ale. Not Belgian/Flanders/Rodenbach or Destihl Brewery (IL) sour but, nonetheless sour. Maybe Realemon meets Dole mango/orange juice? It most resembled a gose to me with a slightly salty palate, a mild pucker, lemon sour and a hint of mango and papaya sweet. I'll guess IBUs about 10 (it's sour, not bitter if that makes sense) and the ABV was 4%. Maybe pair with a sweet and sour dish? Not sure I'd re-visit this but would certainly include this joint on a brew tour of Raleigh, next door to Nickelpoint Brewing and about 3/4 mile from Sub Noir (if they still exist) and a mile from Lynwood Brewing Concern and another 1/4 mile from Big Boss Brewing.

Stardust to Stardust-North High Brewing Company

Traded some NC brews for some Ohio brews about 10 days ago and this was one of them.

"This Imperial IPA is inspired by some of the greatest music ever made and crafted with the best interstellar hops we could find."

Or:

"Brewed to celebrate the life of David Bowie, Stardust To Stardust is brewed with Galaxy, Apollo, and Comet hops." (And Bravo hops, too.)

The pour from a 12 ounce can was cloudy yellow with a modest, foamy head. Pineapple-y and grapefruit-y nose with the same tastes plus a bit of rind and resin. Mild light brown sugar sweetness. IBUs at 72 and the ABV is 8.8%. Round up some mildly spicy fare with a glass of this. Looking forward to trading a couple and sharing a couple and having another all to myself in a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    For those that think access to Brewery Bhavana 750ml are worth under $13 a pop:

https://brewerybhavana.com/cellardoor

I would have tried to do this for Hardywood or The Bruery if I had local proxies.

Gimmicky? A bit. If I win the lottery, might be worth it.
    Coincidence?

Grove-Brewery Bhavana

My first BB beer and I'm impressed. Very impressed.

Pint can for about $5.50 (a bit spendy) with my 10% mixed 6er discount at Falls Village Wine and Beer, the new store about 1.5 miles from our house, and bought a couple weeks ago during NC Beer Month.

Color was orange-yellow and appearance was hazy. Real hazy. It's labeled an IIPA but with the tropical juicy, fruity aromas and an ABV at 8%, I guess it's really an imperial New England style IPA. Tastes are a potpourri of tangerine, pineapple, grapefruit, zest, pith and mango. Bursting with juiciness. No IBU to be located so I'll venture about 50. I'm not sure I'd spend $20+ on a 4 pack of this but I'd certainly like to visit the restaurant and brewery (both voted among the top 50ish new restaurants and breweries in the US last year) and have an entree and a pint draft of this.

Interesting. The Hardywood website lists this as an apple brandy barrel aged beer, but, that may be outdated. We'd be happy to help you sip either variety, along with our usual assortment of fine ales.
    I double checked the label and it is 12 months bourbon barrels. Guessing they brew based on barrel availability. We'll talk before the UVA game!

Cosmic Opposites: Black IPA-Casita Ceveceria

Brewed and canned at Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery.

Pint can for about $4, with the 10% mixed 6er discount, bought in April, NC Beer Month.

Pour was almost stout-colored as expected. Consistency, appearance and mouthfeel was thinner, again, as expected. Nose of over-toasted pumpernickel and coffee and tastes of the same with a fair amount of piney/resin-y bitterness and a bit of grapefruit. Brewing with Mt. Hood, Chinook and Columbus hops are likely the culprits for those tastes. It'd be interesting to use a different assortment of hops (Simcoe, Citra, Mosaic to name a few) and see if the tastes changed to more tropical/citrus fruitiness. Oats listed on the can, too, so there is some smoothing/silkiness to the tasting. I suspect the grain bill is black/patent/Chocolate malts among others. No IBUs listed so I'll guess 70. The ABV is 7%. Interesting to try/taste but I won't revisit. Will list in the category of a well-brewed ale for the style but not one of my favorite IPA variations.

Pint can for about $4, with the 10% mixed 6er discount, bought in April, NC Beer Month.

Pour was almost stout-colored as expected. Consistency, appearance and mouthfeel was thinner, again, as expected. Nose of over-toasted pumpernickel and coffee and tastes of the same with a fair amount of piney/resin-y bitterness and a bit of grapefruit. Brewing with Mt. Hood, Chinook and Columbus hops are likely the culprits for those tastes. It'd be interesting to use a different assortment of hops (Simcoe, Citra, Mosaic to name a few) and see if the tastes changed to more tropical/citrus fruitiness. Oats listed on the can, too, so there is some smoothing/silkiness to the tasting. I suspect the grain bill is black/patent/Chocolate malts among others. No IBUs listed so I'll guess 70. The ABV is 7%. Interesting to try/taste but I won't revisit. Will list in the category of a well-brewed ale for the style but not one of my favorite IPA variations.
    An explanation of the style, aka American Black Ale:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/175/

An explanation of the style, aka American Black Ale:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/175/
    Foothills Frost Bite is a good example, although typically offered in the winter.

Uinta offers a black lager (called Baba, with a drawing of a dark-colored sheep). A good beer, too.

Foothills Frost Bite is a good example, although typically offered in the winter.

Uinta offers a black lager (called Baba, with a drawing of a dark-colored sheep). A good beer, too.
    Might have to try Frost Bite this winter. I wrongly ASSumed it was a winter lager or "winter warmer" and never thought about it being a black IPA.

I’ll come down on the flip side of the coin.

I really like a (good) black IPA.

Stone’s “Cascadian IPA” started what became a pretty flash in the pan trend- you don’t see too many black IPA offerings.

I wonder how newer hops might evolve the style. My last black IPA memory is a mix of roasty coffee and dank hops, which melded pretty well.

I wonder if citra, mosaic, etc would stand up, get lost, or really clash in a black IPA.

Would you go out of your way for craft beer?

Of course you would, if you're reading this thread. So, here's a list of 19 breweries to seek out. Some recognizable names, including Mystery and 3 Floyds. And a new name (to me, at least): Fonta Flora in Morganton, NC.