Page 2906 of 3384 FirstFirst ... 1906240628062856289629042905290629072908291629563006 ... LastLast
Results 58,101 to 58,120 of 67676
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    7th graders in January are...a special breed.
    I would sort of assume that each year has a Cadence that can somewhat be related to every other year but that the broad Trend and how kids behave slightly changes over time. Talk to text so apologize for the weird proper noun stuff my phone does.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I like both bands. I might attend both concerts. I believe that Duran Duran is a better band by metrics that do not include the musicianship of either Sting or Stuart Copeland. Duran Duran doesn't have either Sting or Stuart Copeland - but at this point, neither do The Police. Duran Duran has lasted longer, released more albums, made more money, had more top 10 hits. Liking the music of The Police more is perfectly fine, but it's got nothing to do with my arguments that Duran Duran is a better band. I have never once claimed that the members of Duran Duran are better musicians, I have claimed that by my definition of better - financial success, camaraderie, longevity, perhaps a more entertaining live performance - Duran Duran is a better band than The Police. It's not about the individuals, it's about what they do/did together and financial success/longevity carry weight with me in the argument even if Zenyatta Mondatta is the best album released by either group.

As for live performances, I've never been much of a concert goer because I'm almost always uncomfortable in large crowds, but live shows? I've never been to a pop or rock concert that was about the music, it's about the show. The acoustics almost always suck, you go for the show, not the musicianship, so your argument that The Police have Sting and Stewart Copeland - so what? Are they better live performers than Simon LeBon? Sting could probably hold his own, I guarantee John Taylor and Nick Rhodes can out perform Stuart Copeland.

When I feel like watching Duke haters lose their minds, I claim, with much more data on my side, that Christian Laettner had a far better college career than Michael Jordan. He did. It's a fact.
    This is fun. And it's a good jumping off point for how to approach greatest versus most important versus most outstanding. I prize greatness Plus longevity. Barry Sanders is the most talented back I've ever seen in football. But I would argue Emmitt Smith was greater because he had the longevity. He was never quite as insanely talented, but he was pretty close and you got an extra five or six years in his career. At some level not having to go out and draft a new running back and being able to just write in ink that Smith was going to be playing and gaining over a thousand yards has to matter. I feel this way about Christian and MJ. MJ was so insanely talented that none other than Bobby Knight told Portland to draft MJ and play him at Center since they were saying they needed a center. The police were a collection of talented musicians who simply weren't together long enough to compete with the career of Duran duran. And I don't really like Duran duran. Not my style at all. I really like the police. But their career just doesn't Stack Up as a group. Plus APAB

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    This is fun. And it's a good jumping off point for how to approach greatest versus most important versus most outstanding. I prize greatness Plus longevity. Barry Sanders is the most talented back I've ever seen in football. But I would argue Emmitt Smith was greater because he had the longevity. He was never quite as insanely talented, but he was pretty close and you got an extra five or six years in his career. At some level not having to go out and draft a new running back and being able to just write in ink that Smith was going to be playing and gaining over a thousand yards has to matter. I feel this way about Christian and MJ. MJ was so insanely talented that none other than Bobby Knight told Portland to draft MJ and play him at Center since they were saying they needed a center. The police were a collection of talented musicians who simply weren't together long enough to compete with the career of Duran duran. And I don't really like Duran duran. Not my style at all. I really like the police. But their career just doesn't Stack Up as a group. Plus APAB
    Some are born great, some achieve greatness, some have greatness thrust upon them - and some merely do it, day after day, month after month, year after year, until the sheer fact that they are still at it long after the others have stopped that you have to accept their greatness. I feel that way about Barry Manilow, not a fan of his music, but he is still touring!!! He currently has 60 scheduled concert dates!!! He knows what his fans want and he keeps giving it to them and has done so for 50 years. The man is 79 years old. That's greatness.

Again - it depends on how you define "better". I suspect seeing Duran Duran live was more fun than seeing The Police live, even in the '80s.

OK, choice in Summer 2023, you have to buy tickets to see either Duran Duran or The Police: The Reunion Tour - which concert gets your money?
    Police b/c I never saw them in concert. I saw Sting once or twice, but not the group. And isn't one of the Taylors very ill? I know they are still touring, but let's just say I'm glad I saw the Eagles when Glenn Frey was still living.

Some are born great, some achieve greatness, some have greatness thrust upon them - and some merely do it, day after day, month after month, year after year, until the sheer fact that they are still at it long after the others have stopped that you have to accept their greatness. I feel that way about Barry Manilow, not a fan of his music, but he is still touring!!! He currently has 60 scheduled concert dates!!! He knows what his fans want and he keeps giving it to them and has done so for 50 years. The man is 79 years old. That's greatness.
    Beatles stopped touring in 1966. Wrote their best music after that.

Sophomore year, I had several friends visit me on campus, it was Spring Fest. We hit several frat parties that Saturday night, imbibed a smidge. On the way back to my apartment, a friend's boyfriend and I started (I think he actually started it) singing Weekend in New England as loud as we could. Beginning to end, we knew every word. Still do. My mom was a fan. Never saw him in concert, but I hear he puts on a show!

I like both bands. I might attend both concerts. I believe that Duran Duran is a better band by metrics that do not include the musicianship of either Sting or Stuart Copeland. Duran Duran doesn't have either Sting or Stuart Copeland - but at this point, neither do The Police. Duran Duran has lasted longer, released more albums, made more money, had more top 10 hits. Liking the music of The Police more is perfectly fine, but it's got nothing to do with my arguments that Duran Duran is a better band. I have never once claimed that the members of Duran Duran are better musicians, I have claimed that by my definition of better - financial success, camaraderie, longevity, perhaps a more entertaining live performance - Duran Duran is a better band than The Police. It's not about the individuals, it's about what they do/did together and financial success/longevity carry weight with me in the argument even if Zenyatta Mondatta is the best album released by either group.

As for live performances, I've never been much of a concert goer because I'm almost always uncomfortable in large crowds, but live shows? I've never been to a pop or rock concert that was about the music, it's about the show. The acoustics almost always suck, you go for the show, not the musicianship, so your argument that The Police have Sting and Stewart Copeland - so what? Are they better live performers than Simon LeBon? Sting could probably hold his own, I guarantee John Taylor and Nick Rhodes can out perform Stuart Copeland.

When I feel like watching Duke haters lose their minds, I claim, with much more data on my side, that Christian Laettner had a far better college career than Michael Jordan. He did. It's a fact.
    You know, that was a good rant, but "Who is the better band?" is not the question I answered. You asked, "OK, choice in Summer 2023, you have to buy tickets to see either Duran Duran or The Police: The Reunion Tour - which concert gets your money?" Since a 2023 version of The Police's reunion tour doesn't actually exist, I assumed it would be like the original - i.e. it would include both Sting and Copeland.

You claimed that John Taylor and Nick Rhodes would "out-perform Stuart [sic] Copeland", but one plays bass and the other plays keyboard, whereas Copeland is one of the best rock drummers ever. As a percussionist myself, I'll be watching Stewart, thanks. Sting can play and sing circles around any member of Duran Duran as far as my enjoyment goes, at least, so that's where my money goes.

As for your never having been to a pop or rock concert that was about the music, my only answer is: You've been to the wrong shows.

I respect your opinions about rock band greatness, and your reasons for drawing lines where you do. Your rant addresses all of that admirably. It does not, however, change MY answer to the question of yours that I actually answered. I'm ALL about the music. I want to see great musicians when I lay down good money, and for me, that means Sting and Stewart Copeland. And it is still not close.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    You know, that was a good rant, but "Who is the better band?" is not the question I answered. You asked, "OK, choice in Summer 2023, you have to buy tickets to see either Duran Duran or The Police: The Reunion Tour - which concert gets your money?" Since a 2023 version of The Police's reunion tour doesn't actually exist, I assumed it would be like the original - i.e. it would include both Sting and Copeland.

You claimed that John Taylor and Nick Rhodes would "out-perform Stuart [sic] Copeland", but one plays bass and the other plays keyboard, whereas Copeland is one of the best rock drummers ever. As a percussionist myself, I'll be watching Stewart, thanks. Sting can play and sing circles around any member of Duran Duran as far as my enjoyment goes, at least, so that's where my money goes.

As for your never having been to a pop or rock concert that was about the music, my only answer is: You've been to the wrong shows.

I respect your opinions about rock band greatness, and your reasons for drawing lines where you do. Your rant addresses all of that admirably. It does not, however, change MY answer to the question of yours that I actually answered. I'm ALL about the music. I want to see great musicians when I lay down good money, and for me, that means Sting and Stewart Copeland. And it is still not close.
    Yours is also a good rant. All rants on the LTE are good rants, that's what the LTE is for.

I asked aimo the question. I only asked her because she seems like someone who might take a minute to decide the answer. If the answer is not even close, it's not as interesting to me what the answer is - regardless of the ultimate choice.

The bolded part is, I'm sorry to say, insulting. My reasons for going to a pop or rock concert might be very different from yours and although you may have a different opinion about the reasons someone might want to experience live music, nobody is wrong in choosing what experience suits them best. I have never been to a pop or rock concert where the live performance sounded as good to me as a studio recording but I never go in expecting that. I have been to Boston's Symphony Hall. If I want to hear music that could possibly be as good as a studio recording, that's where I would go.

The bolded part is, I'm sorry to say, insulting. My reasons for going to a pop or rock concert might be very different from yours and although you may have a different opinion about the reasons someone might want to experience live music, nobody is wrong in choosing what experience suits them best. I have never been to a pop or rock concert where the live performance sounded as good to me as a studio recording but I never go in expecting that. I have been to Boston's Symphony Hall. If I want to hear music that could possibly be as good as a studio recording, that's where I would go.
    I apologize for any insult. None was intended. It appeared to me as though you were complaining that the sound in live pop and rock shows was universally sub-par. I've been to many where the sound was stellar. If that's not why you go to live shows, that's fine. But I can assure that if the sound was sub-par, that's the producers' fault. There's no earthly reason why the sound at a pop or rock show cannot be excellent. I've heard the Greensboro Coliseum sound worse than portable speakers (though much, much louder), and I've heard it sound nearly as good as Meymandi. It just depends on the time and effort invested in that end of the production. No, it won't sound like studio work. Live music is different from studio. But at least decent sound should be the bare minimum.

I wasn't trying to impune your choices, nor your motives for attending, though I chose my quote from you poorly, so I understand why you thought I was. Rather, I was intending to impune the producers of the shows you've attended. There's just no excuse for lousy sound at a rock concert.

Did y'all hear about the mind controlled air freshener? It makes scents when you think about it

Did y'all hear about the mind controlled air freshener? It makes scents when you think about it
    Look at you!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Look at you!
    I'm a real boy!

I'm a real boy!
    As they say, if you repeat something often enough, it becomes the truth.

I'm a real boy!

Augusta February 7th and 8th OPK.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I apologize for any insult. None was intended. It appeared to me as though you were complaining that the sound in live pop and rock shows was universally sub-par. I've been to many where the sound was stellar. If that's not why you go to live shows, that's fine. But I can assure that if the sound was sub-par, that's the producers' fault. There's no earthly reason why the sound at a pop or rock show cannot be excellent. I've heard the Greensboro Coliseum sound worse than portable speakers (though much, much louder), and I've heard it sound nearly as good as Meymandi. It just depends on the time and effort invested in that end of the production. No, it won't sound like studio work. Live music is different from studio. But at least decent sound should be the bare minimum.

I wasn't trying to impune your choices, nor your motives for attending, though I chose my quote from you poorly, so I understand why you thought I was. Rather, I was intending to impune the producers of the shows you've attended. There's just no excuse for lousy sound at a rock concert.
    Apology accepted.

I don't go to rock concerts for super high quality sound but I don't go to many rock concerts anyway because I don't like crowds. The last band I saw in a stadium style concert was Imagine Dragons because my youngest was a huge fan in his middle school years (he's less so now which makes me sad). The warm up bands played sets that were far too long. I had three 12 year-olds with me out for my youngest's birthday celebration and we had to leave early because it was a school night. Radioactive was the very last song they played, at a little after 1am. We were long gone by then.

You've joined the punpod people!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I'm a real boy!
    I just feel like DBR has been such a good pun influence on you!

I thought I smelled something...

I'm not sure why more people don't talk about Winger. They were great...