Page 1474 of 3383 FirstFirst ... 4749741374142414641472147314741475147614841524157419742474 ... LastLast
Results 29,461 to 29,480 of 67650
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Went out to get in my car to drive to the socially distanced rehearsal only to find an enormous tree branch had fallen onto my driveway. No house damage and no care damage, whew. Feeling really lucky right now. The sons and I were able to successfully move the branch (actually branches) to the side yard. Hubby is in Maryland. I'm not dealing with it until he comes back, but, there is enough stuff that it might require hiring a landscaping/yardwork type business to come remove it.
    Hurricane Hanna brought some wind and an inch and a half of rain. But nothing we don’t normally see especially during spring storms. I drove around while picking up my groceries. I saw a few limbs down but nothing significant.

I have a new fundraising idea for youth group. We have met in front of church last Sunday and today. Both times we have had rain but locations just a mile away didn't get any. We will have youth group in your yard for a donation toward next year's mission trip. No guarantee you will get rain but we are establishing a good track record.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Hurricane Hanna brought some wind and an inch and a half of rain. But nothing we don’t normally see especially during spring storms. I drove around while picking up my groceries. I saw a few limbs down but nothing significant.
    This wasn't knocked down by the wind which is scary. What we think happened was that branch had been broken off by a previous storm but stopped by another branch instead of falling to the ground. The second branch managed to hold the weight of the first branch for awhile but eventually broke off.

Sounds like an arborist should check that tree out.

Yes, perhaps. I think we did have an arborist check it out before, but that would have been a few years ago now.

Went out to get in my car to drive to the socially distanced rehearsal only to find an enormous tree branch had fallen onto my driveway. No house damage and no care damage, whew. Feeling really lucky right now. The sons and I were able to successfully move the branch (actually branches) to the side yard. Hubby is in Maryland. I'm not dealing with it until he comes back, but, there is enough stuff that it might require hiring a landscaping/yardwork type business to come remove it.
    Glad all is ok.
    The tree fall reminds me of a guy I know who moved from Ohio to NC in September 1996. He had been in NC for three or four days when Hurricane Fran hit. One tree fell and crushed his pickup and another one into the living room of the house he had just bought.

We had a mini monsoon come through southern Durham on Saturday that seemed stronger than your hurricane. Lots of badly needed rain!

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Glad all is ok.
    The tree fall reminds me of a guy I know who moved from Ohio to NC in September 1996. He had been in NC for three or four days when Hurricane Fran hit. One tree fell and crushed his pickup and another one into the living room of the house he had just bought.
    My nextdoor neighbor moved in just a couple of days before Fran hit. A tree in her back yard fell onto the OTHER neighbor's storage shed.

We don't get too many hurricanes up here. For those of us around here who grew up in NC, Hurricane Hazel hit Durham in 1954 (before my time but it was my father's freshman year at Duke) and Durham didn't get hit by another Hurricane until Hugo in 1989. (Hugo hit the Charlotte area much harder than Durham.) So, my experience with hurricanes is limited. I moved to the Boston area in 1987. I did manage to be in Durham for Hurricane Matthew a few years ago. We lost power for about 10 hours. It wasn't Fran. Mom and Dad joke that any trees they were going to lose to hurricanes have already been lost.

We live in an area which gets periodic crazy downdraft winds off the Green Mountains (from the Southeast, which is unusual)...every few years we get a big one, e.g. 80-100 mph winds.

The last one knocked down about 150 seventy foot pine trees, roughly 35 across the driveway, three on the house, no juice for five days. President of the state's biggest electric company came by for a look, we were ground zero.

We NEVER could have gotten out of our driveway without the unsolicited help of our kind neighbors..after I helped a neighbor with his lesser damage (by literally crawling thru the mess) neighbors came over to our house, one by one, resulting in 12 people, five chain saws, and two VERY large tractors with front loaders that could life huge tree pieces up and drop them in the woods. Took six hours...really made us feel good about our neighbors, all of them got boxes of chocolates and bottles of champagne...

Three years later (and $14,000 later) we're back to normal, tree remnants hauled away, some new trees planted, new driveway put in...hope there isn't a "next one" any time soon. I now know more about pine trees than I ever wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    We had a mini monsoon come through southern Durham on Saturday that seemed stronger than your hurricane. Lots of badly needed rain!
    Yeah, the coast took the brunt of it as always. We are far enough inland that hail is a bigger deal for us than most hurricanes.

We don't get too many hurricanes up here. For those of us around here who grew up in NC, Hurricane Hazel hit Durham in 1954 (before my time but it was my father's freshman year at Duke) and Durham didn't get hit by another Hurricane until Hugo in 1989. (Hugo hit the Charlotte area much harder than Durham.) So, my experience with hurricanes is limited. I moved to the Boston area in 1987. I did manage to be in Durham for Hurricane Matthew a few years ago. We lost power for about 10 hours. It wasn't Fran. Mom and Dad joke that any trees they were going to lose to hurricanes have already been lost.
    Back in my teen years (the 70’s) I spent many a long, hard day cutting and splitting wood from Hazel at my grandparents’ house. They had a couple dozen large oaks come down (none hit the house).

The wood was well seasoned.

Also, after Hugo hit Charlotte, it hit the NC mountains near the VA border hard. Stands of trees knocked down.

-jk

I was in Winston-Salem during Hugo. A huge tree fell across the main entrance of campus, and they cancelled classes b/c profs couldn't make it into town. We've had some scary could've-beens lately here in Durham. BD, your parents probably still do have a lot of tall, tall pines like I do. They snap off at the top during storms b/c of their deep roots. The oaks are the ones that come completely uprooted. Scary stuff. Fran was especially bad b/c it rained for days before the storm hit and the ground was just saturated. It took nothing to uproot very big, very old oak trees all around town.

The local news stations are reporting dangerous heat levels today. It's supposed to hit 98 in the mid/late afternoon.

The local news stations are reporting dangerous heat levels today. It's supposed to hit 98 in the mid/late afternoon.
    That's warmer than here in San Antonio. We'll be back to triple digits this weekend.

Time for me to go walk 3 miles.

That's warmer than here in San Antonio. We'll be back to triple digits this weekend.
    Wow - warmer than San Antonio? Ok, it is dangerously hot around here then. Heat waves do kill a lot of people every year.

Wow - warmer than San Antonio? Ok, it is dangerously hot around here then. Heat waves do kill a lot of people every year.
    Y'all need more air conditioning...

got our long walk in 7:30, dew point is now 70, it's ugly...a/c man comes in a few weeks, I've surrendered to Mother Nature.

Next play.