Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    We only won more than 4 games once in 18 years and averaged about a win a year for about a decade. We wouldn't have been making bowl games by any standard. I get that being mediocre to just pretty good may not excite enough people, but I don't see how one says he or she has been a die hard Duke football fan for decades but the last 4 years have suddenly become too much to bear.
    Nobody who stayed with Duke Football through the 1990s and 2000s should be jumping off the bandwagon now. Just saw a tweet that said Duke won more games in the last decade than in any previous decade. But again, that's still not a complete picture. When Cut was hired, the administration gave him support that simply didnt exist in the previous two decades. Cut was given more money to pay his assistants, the Athletic Department built him indoor and outdoor practice facilities, they upgraded the Yoh and Wade and even lowered admissions standards for his recruits. You have to hold Cut accountable to higher standards than his predecessors.

We only won more than 4 games once in 18 years and averaged about a win a year for about a decade. We wouldn't have been making bowl games by any standard. I get that being mediocre to just pretty good may not excite enough people, but I don't see how one says he or she has been a die hard Duke football fan for decades but the last 4 years have suddenly become too much to bear.
    It is absolutely absurd to equate criticism or doubt in a program with "too much to bear." And you are cherry picking the worst 18 years in school history as some kind of baseline for which Cut should be congratulated for improving upon. Some of us criticize precisely BECAUSE we support the team and want the best for the team and the program. Pollyanna never accomplished anything. And yes, we should be consistently MILES ahead of that 18 year period.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    It is absolutely absurd to equate criticism or doubt in a program with "too much to bear." And you are cherry picking the worst 18 years in school history as some kind of baseline for which Cut should be congratulated for improving upon. Some of us criticize precisely BECAUSE we support the team and want the best for the team and the program. Pollyanna never accomplished anything. And yes, we should be consistently MILES ahead of that 18 year period.
    Acymetric said he's been going to Duke football games loyally for decades but may need to stop after the last 4 years. That's what I don't understand. I would understand if someone said he or she hasn't been into Duke football games since 1988 or so.

18 years is a pretty broad time frame to call it just cherry picking. It really has a pretty consistent record of not winning a lot over the last 57 years, and the period from 2012 on under Cutcliffe is the best stretch of years in that time frame.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...uke/index.html

Acymetric said he's been going to Duke football games loyally for decades but may need to stop after the last 4 years. That's what I don't understand. I would understand if someone said he or she hasn't been into Duke football games since 1988 or so.

18 years is a pretty broad time frame to call it just cherry picking. It really has a pretty consistent record of not winning a lot over the last 57 years, and the period from 2012 on under Cutcliffe is the best stretch of years in that time frame.

I don't disagree with any point you made above. That said, Cut had bad years in 2010 and 2011....his third and fourth seasons. He said through that time that the team and program was getting better, even if the W/L records were not really. And I believed him at the time, and I would say 2012-2015 proved him right. But since then, it's kinda been a lot of down hill....not straight down hill...but that's the trend for 4 seasons and coming into another season without proven QB. The regular season last four years is 22-26. The previous 4 years reg seasons had something like 32 reg season wins. The peak for Cut so far was December 31 2013 in the Atlanta bowl game, leading Texas A and M 38-17 at half. (shoulda been 42-17 but that's another clock management story).

That peak is now 6 years old...or, exactly half way through his tenure so far. I love Cut, but that's disturbing. I am not for firing Cut by any means...but I am for honest and frank discussion.

I don't disagree with any point you made above. That said, Cut had bad years in 2010 and 2011...his third and fourth seasons. He said through that time that the team and program was getting better, even if the W/L records were not really. And I believed him at the time, and I would say 2012-2015 proved him right. But since then, it's kinda been a lot of down hill...not straight down hill...but that's the trend for 4 seasons and coming into another season without proven QB. The regular season last four years is 22-26. The previous 4 years reg seasons had something like 32 reg season wins. The peak for Cut so far was December 31 2013 in the Atlanta bowl game, leading Texas A and M 38-17 at half. (shoulda been 42-17 but that's another clock management story).

That peak is now 6 years old...or, exactly half way through his tenure so far. I love Cut, but that's disturbing. I am not for firing Cut by any means...but I am for honest and frank discussion.
    The inflection point for the downturn was undoubtedly the Miami lateral screwjob in 2015. Duke had gone 25-9 since the start of 2013 before that disaster. Since then, our record is 26-30, and only 11-26 in the ACC (10-22 over the last 4 years, the worst mark in the entire league). The offense has also been hapless under Roper's watch, even with a top 10 draft pick at QB for 3 seasons. Cutcliffe did a marvelous job rebuilding the program, and 2013 was nothing short of magical, but the last few years have not been nearly as good.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I don't disagree with any point you made above. That said, Cut had bad years in 2010 and 2011...his third and fourth seasons. He said through that time that the team and program was getting better, even if the W/L records were not really. And I believed him at the time, and I would say 2012-2015 proved him right. But since then, it's kinda been a lot of down hill...not straight down hill...but that's the trend for 4 seasons and coming into another season without proven QB. The regular season last four years is 22-26. The previous 4 years reg seasons had something like 32 reg season wins. The peak for Cut so far was December 31 2013 in the Atlanta bowl game, leading Texas A and M 38-17 at half. (shoulda been 42-17 but that's another clock management story).

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsforlife View Post
    The inflection point for the downturn was undoubtedly the Miami lateral screwjob in 2015. Duke had gone 25-9 since the start of 2013 before that disaster. Since then, our record is 26-30, and only 11-26 in the ACC (10-22 over the last 4 years, the worst mark in the entire league). The offense has also been hapless under Roper's watch, even with a top 10 draft pick at QB for 3 seasons. Cutcliffe did a marvelous job rebuilding the program, and 2013 was nothing short of magical, but the last few years have not been nearly as good.
    There's a thread for all of this.
    https://forums.dukebasketballreport...-Cut-To-Retire
    Oh wait...it got locked.
    (I agreee with both of what y'all are saying. And kudos to Cut for being good enough to earn the criticism for being less than good.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Willie Taggert to FAU per ESPN.

This will be head coaching job number five for Taggert: Western Kentucky, South Florida, Oregon, FSU, FAU.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...willie-taggart
    Bob Green

That Miami game was an inflection point for sure...but I submit that the second half of the 2013 bowl game was an inflection point, that knocked the program off of a truly magical year by national standards...and then the climb back to that was deflected with 2015 Miami. Win either of those games....let alone both... no telling....

That's the odd thing about sports....sometimes one play changes everything (can you say "tuck rule?).

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Willie Taggert to FAU per ESPN.

This will be head coaching job number five for Taggert: Western Kentucky, South Florida, Oregon, FSU, FAU.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...willie-taggart
    And fourth in the last five seasons...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    And fourth in the last five seasons...
    Puts a crimp in coaching your recruits...
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Steve Addazio to be Colorado State Head Coach.
    Bob Green

That Miami game was an inflection point for sure...but I submit that the second half of the 2013 bowl game was an inflection point, that knocked the program off of a truly magical year by national standards...and then the climb back to that was deflected with 2015 Miami. Win either of those games...let alone both... no telling...

That's the odd thing about sports...sometimes one play changes everything (can you say "tuck rule?).
    The second half against A&M was brutal, but we were a missed Ross Martin 40 yard FG against VT away from repeating as Coastal champions in 2014. The program rebounded from that loss far better than the Miami travesty.

Notre Dame OC Chip Long is now on the market.
    He's gotta be better than Roper, right?

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...long-part-ways

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

I had the same thought; our need for new fresh ideas is clear and Long comes from a compelling coaching tree.
    Last edited by Sixthman; 12-11-2019 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

That was my reaction, too!

But, I wonder if Long will re-join Mike Norvell at Fla. St.

The second half against A&M was brutal, but we were a missed Ross Martin 40 yard FG against VT away from repeating as Coastal champions in 2014. The program rebounded from that loss far better than the Miami travesty.
    I don't think I was as clear as I should have been on the second half of the A and M game...that was not so much a downer as it was a missed opportunity to really take a huge step forward...being on national TV with a large audience, packed stadium, exciting high scoring game. It's not so much we had to "recover" from that game, but more that we'll never know where the program might've gone with a win there.

The Miami game was just a downer, a team we should have beaten badly anyway...and then it happens.

Both are inflection points - albeit for very different reasons. And the fact remains, that halftime is the peak of Cut's tenure at Duke thus far. It took him six years to get that far...and now we're six years past it.

You might be assuming I'm older than I am..."decades" is probably an overstatement. I started following Duke football extremely closely in 2006 (but I was living in Ohio at the time), and I've attended most home games and some away/bowl games starting with Roof's last game @ UNC in 2007 (after I moved back to the Triangle).

Boston College hiring OSU’s co-DC. Not sure if he’ll be any good, but I don’t want to hear Duke fans exclude us from hires that will require some spending when Cut leaves.

...been hoping to see a couple Duke assistants on this carousel....

Mark Dantonio steps down at Michigan State.