Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Is Pelosi part of the progressive wing? If they ditch Pelosi, I would expect whoever the replacement is to be more progressive, not less. The people who want her out are the progressives.
    The people calling for Pelosi's ouster in the wake of the election are centrists. Their argument is Pelosi failed to stand up to the progressive wing and allowed the GOP to created the perception that the Dems were being run by progressives.

And, while it's true that Pelosi doesn't belong to the progressive wing of the party, that is not the perception in many suburban districts. Case and point is Abigail Spanberger, the freshman congresswoman representing the suburbs of Richmond, Virginia. During the 2018 election, she pledged to not vote for Pelosi as speaker because her opponent was attacking her for being a rubber stamp for "Pelosi's liberal agenda." Spanberger is one of the moderate Dems calling for new leadership in 2021.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I don't know who will/should replace Pelosi if that happens, but the Dems better be very smart about it. She's polarizing, but the position itself is polarizing. I don't really have an approval opinion on her, but I do respect her for her strength. She does not budge if she doesn't feel like it's a prudent thing to do. Whether that stance is right or wrong is a debate for another day in a different forum.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    The people calling for Pelosi's ouster in the wake of the election are centrists. Their argument is Pelosi failed to stand up to the progressive wing and allowed the GOP to created the perception that the Dems were being run by progressives.

And, while it's true that Pelosi doesn't belong to the progressive wing of the party, that is not the perception in many suburban districts. Case and point is Abigail Spanberger, the freshman congresswoman representing the suburbs of Richmond, Virginia. During the 2018 election, she pledged to not vote for Pelosi as speaker because her opponent was attacking her for being a rubber stamp for "Pelosi's liberal agenda." Spanberger is one of the moderate Dems calling for new leadership in 2021.
    That may be true in the wake of this election, perhaps, but the progressives have been calling for her to be replaced for at least 3-4 years. Which makes it seem likely she will be replaced, because her support is drying up on all sides.

That may be true in the wake of this election, perhaps, but the progressives have been calling for her to be replaced for at least 3-4 years. Which makes it seem likely she will be replaced, because her support is drying up on all sides.
    If it happens, I hope it does for the right reasons, and that the parties can actually come together and make real policy deals. Compromise is sorely missed in government, and it is something that our current system is supposed to encourage in theory, but in practice does not seem to be working to that end.

I don't know that it is just "progressives" (a category in which I'd put myself). But I have thought for some time that while Pelosi is apparently an effective Speaker in terms of keeping the Democrats in the House in line, she is a lightning rod for criticism by the other side (some of which, in my view, has been unfair, and in fact sexist, when she is being characterized as "shrill," etc.). I therefore have been of the opinion that the party would have been better served by having someone else in the position, not because she isn't progressive enough, but because she has arguably hurt the party at the ballot box.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I don't know who will/should replace Pelosi if that happens, but the Dems better be very smart about it. She's polarizing, but the position itself is polarizing. I don't really have an approval opinion on her, but I do respect her for her strength. She does not budge if she doesn't feel like it's a prudent thing to do. Whether that stance is right or wrong is a debate for another day in a different forum.
    Totally agree with your point, but I'll also add: the top 3 D House leadership are 80 (Pelosi), 81 (Hoyer), and 80 (Clyburn). It's just time for those holding those offices not to be that age. But it will be civil war between centrists and progressives if an election for a new Speaker were to be held, of course.

I suppose this is the appropriate thread to discuss the GA run-offs, so this might be a very active thread for some while.

Just heard a GA Dem operative on TV use the phrase “QAnon Kelly.” Would Loeffler need both to deny that she’s a QAnon conspiracy advocate while dog-whistling her support of QNuts?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    In the Least Suspenseful Uncalled Race category, Cunningham has conceded to Tillis in the NC election.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/polit...ate/index.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    In the Least Suspenseful Uncalled Race category, Cunningham has conceded to Tillis in the NC election.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/polit...ate/index.html
    Do you think Cunningham texted him?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Do you think Cunningham texted him?
    Gross, man. Gross.

Dan Sullivan is projected to hold his Senate seate in Alaska, at least per CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/11/polit...ion/index.html

[Imported this from Presidential thread.]

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Saw an interesting report today: POTUS is currently disinclined to stump heavily for the Georgia senators, primarily because GA didn't end up in his column.
    And here’s an early take on GA, where Dems want Obamas. I’ll guess they’d be happy to welcome Dr. Jill Biden, too.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...e-seats-435939

Some confusion today about the quirkiest and least consequential congressional race still going.

In Georgia's 5th Congressional District there is a runoff scheduled for Dec. 1 to select someone to finish out John Lewis's term. Note, this is just to fill out Lewis's current term--Nikema Williams has already been elected for the new term that will begin in January. Hence, the winner of the Dec. 1 runoff will be in Congress for all of about 30 days.

But this morning Georgia Sec. of State Brad Raffensperger announced statewide runoffs that were scheduled for Dec. 1 have been moved to Jan. 5 to coincide with the two Georgia senate runoffs (the Perdue v. Ossoff and Warncok v. Loeffler races. Perhaps you've heard about those?). This frees up his office to concentrate all current efforts on doing a hand recount of the presidential race.

One problem: if the GA-05 runoff is moved to Jan. 5...that's two days after Nikema Williams will be sworn in, making the whole thing moot. Can't fill a term that is already expired.

Raffesnperger has made no specific comment on whether GA-05 will be excepted. Reamins unclear on what happens next.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Raffesnperger has made no specific comment on whether GA-05 will be excepted. Reamins unclear on what happens next.
    How much does Congress even meet in the month of December in a lame duck session? While I'd be ticked if I were one of the candidates seeking to put "U.S. Congress" on my resume, I'm thinking that have one less GA congressman for any month - but particularly that month - is not tragic. Granted, the head of elections for the State of Georgia should have had that explanation at the ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    How much does Congress even meet in the month of December in a lame duck session? While I'd be ticked if I were one of the candidates seeking to put "U.S. Congress" on my resume, I'm thinking that have one less GA congressman for any month - but particularly that month - is not tragic. Granted, the head of elections for the State of Georgia should have had that explanation at the ready.
    There is some speculation that the folks running for that lame duck term are looking to collect a Congressional pension and also perhaps angle themselves to challenge Nikema Williams in a couple years.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    There is some speculation that the folks running for that lame duck term are looking to collect a Congressional pension and also perhaps angle themselves to challenge Nikema Williams in a couple years.
    I think you need a bit more than a month to qualify for a pension!

-jk

Goeorgia without Trump on the ballot

I am trying to figure if not having Trump on the ballot helps or hurts the Republican candidates in the run off.

One thought is that Trump does bring out R's who may not vote otherwise and they will not bother to vote in this election.
    Another is that Trump also brings out D's to vote against him and they may not vote either.

I imagine there will so much advertising, phone calls, texts etc. may not make a difference.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I think you need a bit more than a month to qualify for a pension!

-jk
    I'm not sure about that. My understanding is that Congress set it up so that anyone who has served in Congress is entitled to free medical insurance and a pension.
    (Taking care of your own)

I remember reading this in several places but, admittedly, am too lazy and tired to go verify it now.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Conressman have the same pension arrangements as other federal employees in high-turnover positions. Members are not eligible for pensions until completing five years of service at age 62.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Conressman have the same pension arrangements as other federal employees in high-turnover positions. Members are not eligible for pensions until completing five years of service at age 62.
    Well, then I have no idea why someone would want this post other than to be able to say they were a member of congress (which is a pretty cool thing nonetheless).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?