Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 NFL Season

Speaking of changing team names, groundswell growing to rename the Lions as The Washington Generals of the NFL.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Falcons did the most Falcon thing ever as they Falcon'd away that game.

I'm a little surprised Dan Quinn was allowed on the plane home. Personally, I would have let him hitchhike back to Georgia. Not like there is a rush for him to get back and coach the team. I'm a lot surprised that the Special Teams coach, Ben Kowtika, was not fired on the spot for that onsides kick. It really looks like the entire kickoff recovery team was unaware of a rule that most 10-year-olds know.

If you have not seen the worst onsides kick recovery in NFL history, you will enjoy this article: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...s-nfl-football
    Fun article - further down, it pointed out that whoever was in charge of the fake crowd noise in an empty Eagles stadium even played boos for their own quarterback, not once but twice!

My Seahawks sure kept things interesting

Butker is the Chiefs hero - kicked the winning field goal 3 times. Successful on a 53 yard attempt but called back due to false start. Backed up 5 yards and tried again - kick was good but Chargers had called a time out. No timeouts or false starts to mar the 3rd attempt - good from 58 yards. His second 58 yard FG of the game. (3rd if you count the one that was cancelled due to the TO.)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I have a friend who is a Falcons fan who says this week versus Seattle is a "must win" for the Falcons. How can any game be a must win in week one?

I have another friend who said, "by 3pm today, Arthur Blank is going to be saying, 'why did I keep this guy?'" about Dan Quinn. Sigh... I just can't understand how a guy who was supposedly a defensive genius as Seattle DC can have consistently among the worst Ds in the NFL as a head coach.
    If the Falcons week 1 game was a must-win and they lost, what does it say now that they have also lost their week 2 game?

I could not believe the Falcons didn’t fire Quinn after last season. In fact, I thought he should have been fired in the middle of the season when they basically imploded. Yes, they recovered to win four games at the end of the year, but those games didn’t really matter anymore as their season was essentially already over.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Butker is the Chiefs hero - kicked the winning field goal 3 times. Successful on a 53 yard attempt but called back due to false start. Backed up 5 yards and tried again - kick was good but Chargers had called a time out. No timeouts or false starts to mar the 3rd attempt - good from 58 yards. His second 58 yard FG of the game. (3rd if you count the one that was cancelled due to the TO.)
    That was stunning. Also hit the FG to take it to OT.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    If the Falcons week 1 game was a must-win and they lost, what does it say now that they have also lost their week 2 game?

I could not believe the Falcons didn’t fire Quinn after last season. In fact, I thought he should have been fired in the middle of the season when they basically imploded. Yes, they recovered to win four games at the end of the year, but those games didn’t really matter anymore as their season was essentially already over.
    I'd even argue that those were as close as it gets to "bad wins," given their impact on draft position in a heavily draft-dependent league.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Speaking of changing team names, groundswell growing to rename the Lions as The Washington Generals of the NFL.
    Shouldn't they be the Detroit Kittens?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Fun article - further down, it pointed out that whoever was in charge of the fake crowd noise in an empty Eagles stadium even played boos for their own quarterback, not once but twice!
    Sounds right for Philly!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Shouldn't they be the Detroit Kittens?
    After their return to their normal yesterday, perhaps the Washington Football Team should give more consideration to being the Generals. Sigh...

Giants confirm Barkley’s ACL. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'd even argue that those were as close as it gets to "bad wins," given their impact on draft position in a heavily draft-dependent league.

It is entirely possible that I screamed this very thing at the TV multiple times last winter.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

There's something wrong with a sport that maims its stars with great regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    After their return to their normal yesterday, perhaps the Washington Football Team should give more consideration to being the Generals. Sigh...
    Yeah, that was pretty sad. And pretty predictable.

I worry about the Browns. They have guys who can get behind our secondary and they have a couple of pretty good running backs to keep the defense honest, too.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

I worry about the Browns. They have guys who can get behind our secondary and they have a couple of pretty good running backs to keep the defense honest, too.
    FIRE DANNY BOY! Oh wait he's the owner.

I'm no Saints fan, but shouldn't the fact that the ball was uncatchable have made that a clear no-call?

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

Our defense has a good game and a bad game. I have no idea what to expect vs the Browns but I share your concern about their offense. Nick Chubb, OBJ, etc are no joke. Chubb, in particular, looked great this week. As for the WFT offense...well it's not going to be a 1 year turnaround, I'll just leave it at that. Sigh

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    FIRE DANNY BOY! Oh wait he's the owner.
    jv, that made me laugh...then I didn't know if I should be laughing or crying. Sigh

If they're going to start enforcing lame "contact with official" calls like that, they're going to have to put something in place forcing officials to respect personal space of the players. Pushing an official's hand away after he sticks it in your face while he and another official climb over top of you on the ground should not be grounds for ejection. Seems like there was another stupid one earlier this season (or maybe it was an NBA game).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    If they're going to start enforcing lame "contact with official" calls like that, they're going to have to put something in place forcing officials to respect personal space of the players. Pushing an official's hand away after he sticks it in your face while he and another official climb over top of you on the ground should not be grounds for ejection. Seems like there was another stupid one earlier this season (or maybe it was an NBA game).
    I only watched about 10 minutes of the NFL game last night but I saw that play. In the middle of that post-fumble scrum the Jacksonville lineman had no idea that it was even an official's arm (vs another players arm) that he was tossing off of him. That was a ludicrously bad ejection. Even the announcers and the former NFL official they check in with thought it was a bad call.

The other sketchy one I recall was Lions-Bears week one when Jamie Collins of the Lions was demonstrating to the official how another player was illegally lowering his helmet for a block. In doing so, he "lightly" headbutted the ref in the chest. Yes, it was by the letter of the law contact with an official and yes Collins should have been smarter. But it seems like unnecessary over reach by the official to me.

Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Look, as any official will tell you, the fans and TV show up to watch these sporting events because we all want to see the refs at work. They are the primary driver of the story and the reason sports are popular. Again, every ref knows this. Once you recognize that they are the thing that matters in sports, then you will understand these rulings.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?