Page 2905 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 1905240528052855289529032904290529062907291529553005 ... LastLast
Results 58,081 to 58,100 of 67390
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    An old me had a crush on her.
    Hahaha! Great post!

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    This is a Duke site, so aren't we required to defend the position that Les Brown (and His Band of Renown) was the best band leader of all time?

Well, other than Geddy Lee, of course.
    We have done a disservice to this discussion by leaving he and his band out.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    A young me had such a crush on Paula Abdul.
    RIPA.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I don't know where they rank on the all time best bands list, but Duran Duran is definitely higher than The Police.

(I say that to make middle-aged white guys lose their minds. Works 95% of the time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I don't know where they rank on the all time best bands list, but Duran Duran is definitely higher than The Police.

(I say that to make middle-aged white guys lose their minds. Works 95% of the time.)
    I've seen The Police in concert, Sting has a very strong individual body of work. Tea in the Sahara is my favorite song of theirs. Yes, I'm middle-aged but only part of the second part. I like Duran Duran's '90s stuff, I think Ordinary World is their best song.

Kind of an apples versus oranges comparison. Duran Squared is a great teenybopper band with catchy pop tunes, but The Police were darker and harder-rocking. I love both, but I would have to say The PoPo were a better band.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Kind of an apples versus oranges comparison. Duran Squared is a great teenybopper band with catchy pop tunes, but The Police were darker and harder-rocking. I love both, but I would have to say The PoPo were a better band.
    It really depends on what metric you use to determine "better". Number of albums released? Duran Duran - 15 (to date), The Police - 5. Longevity? Duran Duran still exists, no contest. Albums sold/money made? Duran Duran wins again. Top 10 hits (US)? Duran Duran - 21, The Police - 6. Best songwriter? Ok, Ok, we'll give that one to Sting who was much better as a solo artist. The Police do not get credit for Sting's later career.

It really depends on what metric you use to determine "better". Number of albums released? Duran Duran - 15 (to date), The Police - 5. Longevity? Duran Duran still exists, no contest. Albums sold/money made? Duran Duran wins again. Top 10 hits (US)? Duran Duran - 21, The Police - 6. Best songwriter? Ok, Ok, we'll give that one to Sting who was much better as a solo artist. The Police do not get credit for Sting's later career.
    But the QUALITY of those Police albums is AMAZING! Don't get me wrong, I have seen Duran Duran in concert and screamed Wild Boys (they finally played it during the encore) until I was hoarse. But I can listen to Zenyatta Mondatta and Regatta de Blanc from beginning to end any day.

*Marked safe from Layoff Round 2

Turns out the bosses did the activity proactively and weren't asked to ante up just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post

Turns out the bosses did the activity proactively and weren't asked to ante up just yet.
    Which I was told I wasn't a target for but that there had been zero feedback from the higher bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    But the QUALITY of those Police albums is AMAZING! Don't get me wrong, I have seen Duran Duran in concert and screamed Wild Boys (they finally played it during the encore) until I was hoarse. But I can listen to Zenyatta Mondatta and Regatta de Blanc from beginning to end any day.
    Again - it depends on how you define "better". I suspect seeing Duran Duran live was more fun than seeing The Police live, even in the '80s.

OK, choice in Summer 2023, you have to buy tickets to see either Duran Duran or The Police: The Reunion Tour - which concert gets your money?

Congratulations, I hope.

You should quit now just to show them.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You should quit now just to show them.
    There were others, longer tenured, similarly reassured that they were safe, and buoyed by what they viewed as a still good job market, who were very disappointed in the results or lack thereof.

There were others, longer tenured, similarly reassured that they were safe, and buoyed by what they viewed as a still good job market, who were very disappointed in the results or lack thereof.
    Well, congrats again. Hopefully you’re well positioned in the event of the worst case scenario. Corporate layoffs can be brutal. Old company laid off 10% of a 50K workforce just before Christmas to ensure savings hit that financial year. 48 hours and entire floors of people were just gone.

There is no loyalty in business and that should be the mindset of the rank and file, too.

Again - it depends on how you define "better". I suspect seeing Duran Duran live was more fun than seeing The Police live, even in the '80s.

OK, choice in Summer 2023, you have to buy tickets to see either Duran Duran or The Police: The Reunion Tour - which concert gets your money?
    For me? The latter, and it's not close. But then, Duran Duran doesn't have Sting or Stewart Copeland.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Well, congrats again. Hopefully you’re well positioned in the event of the worst case scenario. Corporate layoffs can be brutal. Old company laid off 10% of a 50K workforce just before Christmas to ensure savings hit that financial year. 48 hours and entire floors of people were just gone.

There is no loyalty in business and that should be the mindset of the rank and file, too.
    Yes. Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    For me? The latter, and it's not close. But then, Duran Duran doesn't have Sting or Stewart Copeland.
    I like both bands. I might attend both concerts. I believe that Duran Duran is a better band by metrics that do not include the musicianship of either Sting or Stuart Copeland. Duran Duran doesn't have either Sting or Stuart Copeland - but at this point, neither do The Police. Duran Duran has lasted longer, released more albums, made more money, had more top 10 hits. Liking the music of The Police more is perfectly fine, but it's got nothing to do with my arguments that Duran Duran is a better band. I have never once claimed that the members of Duran Duran are better musicians, I have claimed that by my definition of better - financial success, camaraderie, longevity, perhaps a more entertaining live performance - Duran Duran is a better band than The Police. It's not about the individuals, it's about what they do/did together and financial success/longevity carry weight with me in the argument even if Zenyatta Mondatta is the best album released by either group.

As for live performances, I've never been much of a concert goer because I'm almost always uncomfortable in large crowds, but live shows? I've never been to a pop or rock concert that was about the music, it's about the show. The acoustics almost always suck, you go for the show, not the musicianship, so your argument that The Police have Sting and Stewart Copeland - so what? Are they better live performers than Simon LeBon? Sting could probably hold his own, I guarantee John Taylor and Nick Rhodes can out perform Stuart Copeland.

When I feel like watching Duke haters lose their minds, I claim, with much more data on my side, that Christian Laettner had a far better college career than Michael Jordan. He did. It's a fact.

Referring back to the previous list though, ABBA is definitely a better band than either The Police or Duran Duran.

7th graders in January are...a special breed.