Page 103 of 121 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 2406
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Great win for the good guys! I admit I was nervous as heck in that last inning. If that UVa player had hit that last pitch just a touch harder, it would have been a 3-run homer and the game would be over. The baseball gods were with Duke today. And it was great to see a solid core of Duke fans in the stands (I assume mostly family members of the team), cheering for the team. Let's beat them again tomorrow!
    I believe (and hope) there were recent player-alumni too. This is the third time in five years that Duke has been one win from Omaha. Duke is 0-3 in subsequent games. I hope Coach Pollard channeled Coach K after the buzzer versus UNLV 1991 in the locker room today.

Special props need to go to Fran Oschell. He has been phenomenal. Look at these numbers:

39 IP
    3 Earned runs
    18 BB
    66 Ks
    0.69 ERA
    0.93 WHIP

These numbers are mostly in high stress situations in the highly competitive ACC. He has been used mostly in situations where his job is to maintain a lead against high level competition. He is deserving of some recognition in these postseason awards.

I admittedly thought the ball was gone off the bat but saw the left fielder looking to make a play on it and held my breath. Great win, obviously. All things considered, great to see Tallon on the hill finishing the game. He hasn’t pitched much, and it’s hard to work your way back into the mix during the tournament. Glad we escaped, and with today’s work, I expect Tallon to be much sharper next time out (hopefully tomorrow). Let’s finish it now and not rely on Sunday. Great win. Let’s go Duke!

A couple of times during today’s broadcast, they trotted out the statistic that teams winning the first Super Regional game have advanced to Omaha 79% of the time. As others have pointed, though, Duke has been part of the 21% twice in recent years.
    I’d like to think that playing at Virginia is just a little bit of an advantage as compared to the previous two situations, with a familiar opponent and an at least not totally foreign playing environment to contend with for advancement.

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    I admittedly thought the ball was gone off the bat but saw the left fielder looking to make a play on it and held my breath. Great win, obviously. All things considered, great to see Tallon on the hill finishing the game. He hasn’t pitched much, and it’s hard to work your way back into the mix during the tournament. Glad we escaped, and with today’s work, I expect Tallon to be much sharper next time out (hopefully tomorrow). Let’s finish it now and not rely on Sunday. Great win. Let’s go Duke!
    I thought it was gone too. Tallon had no K's in his single inning, with two fly outs and one ground out. The fly outs were both long pop ups which means his fastball was rising as it should. I take that as a good sign and I do hope he can regain his sharpness if he pitches again this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    A couple of times during today’s broadcast, they trotted out the statistic that teams winning the first Super Regional game have advanced to Omaha 79% of the time. As others have pointed, though, Duke has been part of the 21% twice in recent years.
    I’d like to think that playing at Virginia is just a little bit of an advantage as compared to the previous two situations, with a familiar opponent and an at least not totally foreign playing environment to contend with for advancement.
    Duke was in that 21% only once. In Nashville. In Lubbock we lost game one.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Duke was in that 21% only once. In Nashville. In Lubbock we lost game one.
    Yeah. I wonder the split for home vs road team. I bet more home teams come back from losing game 1.

Thanks to those posting during the game. I didn't catch it on TV, but love reading the "live" emotions and ups and downs of a game in the thread to see what happened and somewhat live it without just looking at the final score. Great win!!

Only one road team won yesterday

79% probability of winning 1 of the 2 remaining games is just a little better than the 75% probability of winning 1 out of 2 coin flips. That sounds about right.

I would expect that a team playing at home would advance a bit more than 79% of the time and a team playing away would advance a bit less often.

I have not watched a Duke baseball game since I was a senior in 1980-- but I'll be watching today !!

If the team's chance to win is 50%, then the probability of the winner of the first game going to Omaha is 75%. Pretty close to 79%.
    But then, one could assume that, on average, the team that wins the first game is (slightly) better than the team that lost. So the probability of the first game winner to advance would be greater than 75%; 79% > 75% works out.
    If the probability of a team winning is 52%, then if that team wins the first game, their probability of winning one of the next 2 games is 78%. I guess that all comes out in the wash.

Larry
    DevilHorse

GAMEDAY.

LET’S GO (to Omaha) DUKE.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    What time is the game tomorrow? Also whose gonna start for us tomorrow?
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Noon Eastern. Probably Gow.
    Alex Gow is today’s starter.
    Bob Green

We will be on espn, as wake forest’s game is delayed for a medical emergency of some kind.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm selling at a craft market today, but will be watching my laptop when I can.

LGD!

Well that wasnt an ideal start. 1-0 UVA.

Right down the middle, too easy.
    Why’s Wake in a delay?

What a lay out diving catch by Giac!

1-0 UVa top 1.