Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Annual CFB coaching carousel thread

Thank goodness we aren't on it this time.

Notre Dame -- Weis gets another year because he's not Willingham
    Iowa State -- Chizik fires a bunch of his staff, but stays; then takes Auburn job. Job open.

Purdue -- Joe Tiller retires; Danny hope hired. DC Spack takes Illinois State HC job
    Kansas State -- Program legend Bill Snyder returns to replace Ron Prince
    Washington -- USC OC Steve Sarkisian replaces Tyrone Willingham
    Tennessee -- Lane Kiffin replaces Phil Fulmer
    Auburn -- incomprehensibly, fires Tommy Tuberville; hired Gene Chizik (5-19)
    Mississippi State -- Sylvester Croom pressured to resign; UF OC Dan Mullen hired
    Clemson -- Tommy Bowden out midseason; WVU-style, interim coach Dabo Swinney made HC
    Syracuse -- Greg Robinson out; NOLA Saints' DC Doug Marrone hires
    New Mexico State -- Hal Mumme out.
    New Mexico -- Rocky Long retires; replaced by Mike Locksley, Illinois OC.
    San Diego State -- Chick Long fired; hires Brady Hoke away from Ball State
    Ball State -- OC Stan Parrish promoted to HC

Contract extensions of those not on hot seat: Gundy, Oklahoma State; Nutt, Mississippi; Leach, TTU.

Who am I missing?
    Last edited by throatybeard; 12-16-2008 at 12:57 AM.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Surprised by the AU dismissal of Tuberville, who had beaten Alabama 6 straight times prior to this year. I've read some reports that there was some animosity between TT and at least one very powerful member of the Board of Trustees at Auburn. Go to a 3rd SEC school? That seems crazy, but the SEC overall seems crazy---salaries, facilities, pressure to win, attention, etc.

Seems to me like UWash is a plum job for a good incoming coach; they've got a great location, good tradition, good school, and can hardly drop any lower. A new guy would probably need to raid California for some talent, but there's a lot to go around.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Surprised by the AU dismissal of Tuberville, who had beaten Alabama 6 straight times prior to this year. I've read some reports that there was some animosity between TT and at least one very powerful member of the Board of Trustees at Auburn. Go to a 3rd SEC school? That seems crazy, but the SEC overall seems crazy---salaries, facilities, pressure to win, attention, etc.
    Is that the board member who seems to control everything at Auburn? Isn't his name Lowder?

Add UVa to the list of openings? Groh gone?

Message board chatter; anybody confirm?

Man, if Auburn doesn't get Leach they'll look awfully dumb. How do you fire a guy that went undefeated less than five years ago?

I certainly hope Notre Dame found a way to get rid of the guy that gave Weis that ridiculous contract.

Up through the Duke blasting, the rumor was strong that Groh was done at UVAm granted he had a pretty impressive rebound and they shouldn't have that USC loss count against them that much (no other ACC team could hang with them either). Still, they finished 5-7 and out of bowl contention, I wouldn't be surprised if they ditch him.

Absolutely surprised at Tuberville getting the boot, one bad year this year to an otherwise excellent tenure at Auburn (not to mention a legit complaint of being left out of the NC game in 2004). If I was the UVA AD, I'd boot Groh for Tuberville in a heartbeat. HE wouldn't have to change his wardrobe that much either.

That seems crazy, but the SEC overall seems crazy---salaries, facilities, pressure to win, attention, etc.
    Pretty much.

What a year for Auburn. Losing Muschamp and now the firing of Tuberville is probably not what they were expecting. I think the Tuberville family had recently moved into a new home and they were becoming very comfortable with living in Auburn...no more! I say it's karma for the way Tommy handled his assistants.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Thank goodness we aren't on it this time.

Notre Dame -- Weis gets another year becuase he's not Willingham
    Iowa State -- Chizik fies a bunch of his staff, but stays

Kansas State -- Program legend Bill Snyder returns to replace Ron Prince
    Washington -- Willingham out; some reports say they're talking to TTU coach Mike Leach
    Tennessee -- Lane Kiffin replaces Phil Fulmer
    Auburn -- incomprehensibly, fires Tommy Tuberville today; some Leach buzz here too
    Mississippi State -- Croom out, some talk about Tuberville
    Clemson -- Tommy Bowden out midseason; WVU-style, interim coach Dabo Swinney made HC
    Syracuse -- Greg Robinson out

Who am I missing?

I saw on espn that Tuberville resigned and was not fired, but he probaly would have been gone anyways.

And I hope Croom and Willingham go and make a name for themselves some where else

That stuff with the thermostats is pretty funny in an Onionish way, but it doesn't reflect reality. Given recent hoo-hah in the papers, even the faculty at Mizzou, where the UM system (UMC, UMSL, UMKC, MST nee UMR) is in a faculty/staff hiring freeze while the Gary Pinkel has gotten a huge multiyear X $M raise, seem to understand that the athletics money is a different pot.

The athletics boosters give money that wouldn't be given to academics otherwise. It's not zero-sum. I kill in the Baby Syntax class, but when 80K people pay to watch me do it and I'm making what I am now, THEN I'll start complaining about how I'm not compensated like the FB coach.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 12-04-2008 at 11:46 AM.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

For what it's worth....
    Hal Mumme out at New Mexico State.

Clemson hired Dabo Swinney, removing the interim tag. No previous head coaching experience but fully endorsed (at least reported so) by the players. I couldn't help but see similarity from the Duke/Ted Roof situation. Lord help Dabo next year in dealing with IPTAY if his boys don't come out of the gate 12-0.

But I digress. Let the changes continue while I sit smugly at home, knowing my program has David Cutcliffe and one hell of an assistant coaching staff leading the way back to prominence.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    For what it's worth....
    Hal Mumme out at New Mexico State.

Clemson hired Dabo Swinney, removing the interim tag. No previous head coaching experience but fully endorsed (at least reported so) by the players. I couldn't help but see similarity from the Duke/Ted Roof situation. Lord help Dabo next year in dealing with IPTAY if his boys don't come out of the gate 12-0.

But I digress. Let the changes continue while I sit smugly at home, knowing my program has David Cutcliffe and one hell of an assistant coaching staff leading the way back to prominence.
    Let's hope the associate and assistant coaches are so happy to stay with Coach Cutcliffe that recruiting by other programs doesn't take any of them elsewhere.

It's official: Tubby resigns. There's a quotation from him in the article that seems to indicate he wants to stay in Auburn.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3742934

Ivan Maisel has a nice column about what a stupid thing it is to get rid of Tubby.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/column...van&id=3743358

You're Auburn, and you're too big, too sure of yourself to panic every time someone in Tuscaloosa raises a trophy. Once upon a time you panicked. Remember five years ago, when the university president led a secret delegation to interview Bobby Petrino at Louisville? That president and the genius boosters who egged him on forgot that Auburn still employed a football coach. They also proved to be about as clandestine as Inspector Clouseau.

Tommy Tuberville coached the Tigers to an 85-40 record during his Auburn tenure.
    The media mocked you for months, and you looked even dumber when Tuberville took the team to a 13-0 record a year later.

Good thing that president is long gone. You've got a new athletic director, too. Surely they wouldn't be stupid enough to make the same mistake and run off Tuberville. During games, he barely has a pulse. They call him the Riverboat Gambler for his play-calling guts. And big games? Not only is he 7-3 against Alabama, he has won nine of his past 14 games against top-10 teams.

Off the field, his players don't get in trouble. They go to class, too. In 2007, 20 players had at least a 3.0 GPA.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Good Fires, Every One

This is what has plagued Duke for so long, and why we got so far down. If you really want to win, and at Auburn and Tenn, and Clem to a lesser extent, they want to win Big on a national scale. If that is your goal, you do not wait until the team is all the way down. You wait until there are noticable signs that the team is trending down, and you make a change. Call it Knee jerk, whatever, it works. Saban replaced a good guy who was doing OK. But he wasn't keeping pace with the rest of the SEC. Meyer replaced a guy who recruited the major parts of a NC squad, but wasn't winning on the field.

In todays world, rebuilding a moribund team is really hard. If you wait until the talent level has bottomed out, it can take several years to really comeback. But if you pull the trigger before the team is desolate, the rebuilding project might only take a year or two.

You don't let a coach hang himself. As soon as he has enough rope to make a noose, his butt is fired.

That is the cost of winning. And I mean really winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    This is what has plagued Duke for so long, and why we got so far down. If you really want to win, and at Auburn and Tenn, and Clem to a lesser extent, they want to win Big on a national scale. If that is your goal, you do not wait until the team is all the way down. You wait until there are noticable signs that the team is trending down, and you make a change. Call it Knee jerk, whatever, it works. Saban replaced a good guy who was doing OK. But he wasn't keeping pace with the rest of the SEC. Meyer replaced a guy who recruited the major parts of a NC squad, but wasn't winning on the field.

In todays world, rebuilding a moribund team is really hard. If you wait until the talent level has bottomed out, it can take several years to really comeback. But if you pull the trigger before the team is desolate, the rebuilding project might only take a year or two.

You don't let a coach hang himself. As soon as he has enough rope to make a noose, his butt is fired.

That is the cost of winning. And I mean really winning.
    More often what happens when you fire a good coach is that you accelerate downward momentum. Transition of a coaching staff is a huge cost. It often messes up recruiting for a whole year.

Nebraska is still recovering from the self-inflicted wound they caused themselves when they fired Solich. Ole Miss fired Cut and then suffered through three awful seasons with Orgeron. (Nutt seems to be making hay with Orgeron's seniors). Duke wasn't great under Red Wilson but got worse after firing him.

In Tuberville, we're looking at a guy who was tremendously successful and had this one 5-7 season. Unless AU gets Leach, this was absurd. They're just as likely to have hamstringed themselves by doing this as they are to luck into someone who will take them to the next level. And Tuberville had taken them before, in 2004 at 13-0.

College FB also has has a lot of instances of patience being rewarded during rebuilding efforts. Pinkel, Beamer, Synder, Rodriguez at WVU, Papa Bowden.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

The decision to dump Tuberville is definitely puzzling. I have to believe the resurgence of the Tide under Saban is a big factor. Although I've always preferred Auburn's yang to Bama's yin, I do think the former suffers from a bit of an inferiority complex vis-a-vis the Tide, and it seems as though there may be an urgent sense - whether valid or not - that they may be slipping behind their once again formidable archrival.

Tuberville has always struck me as a bit of a tool, but there is no doubt the guy can coach. He will certainly land another quality HC job, assuming that is what he wants. I think the odds of Auburn landing a upgrade to him are 50/50 at best.

Contrast the last 24 hours of Notre Dame and Auburn. In the case of the Irish, they conceded that, in 2008, and 20 years since being relevant on the national stage, they are a 5-7/6-6/7-5 program who every few years will go 10-2 and get trounced in a BCS bowl. Auburn, on the other hand, made a decision that says, to me, that it believes it's up there with USC, Florida, Texas, Ohio State, etc., when in reality it isn't. Tubberville is about as good a coach as Auburn can expect to hire and he had amazing success there. Tiger fans may not like it--and based on recent results, it isn't fair--but Auburn is the second team in that state.

Who would've thought Notre Dame would come off as the humble program?

New question: Does Tubberville's "resignation" re-open the Charlie Weis question in South Bend? One of the driving forces behind ND's decision was that they likely wouldn't be able to find anyone better to take the job (Brian Kelly would be perfect, but he feels Cincy is a better job; I agree). Why pay Weis's buyout so that you can bring in a coach of the same caliber? But, Tubberville is an upgrade and he's available. In reality, Weis isn't getting another year. He's getting at least two more years because a monkey could coach that team to eight wins next year given how easy the schedule is. Weis will win 8 or 9 next year, tell us all he's a genius (again) and then go 6-6 the year after.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Man, if Auburn doesn't get Leach they'll look awfully dumb. How do you fire a guy that went undefeated less than five years ago?

I certainly hope Notre Dame found a way to get rid of the guy that gave Weis that ridiculous contract.
    You mean Duke's current Athletic Director?

I've been reading articles that the boosters/trustees basically paid for TT to resign from Auburn, but that Auburn's AD was shocked to learn TT resigned.

Leach pulled his name from the U Dub search. He ends up at Auburn or stays at Tech, methinks. Tech may have a hard time ponying up the money that Auburn can --- but, honestly, I'm not sure Auburn is that much better of a job.

Add UVa to the list of openings? Groh gone?

Message board chatter; anybody confirm?
    It's looking like Groh may hold on for another year after all, but there will be major shakeups on the staff. Most notably, Mike Groh (Al's son) will be out as OC.

Nothing's been made official yet, though, so it's still possible that the AD makes a run at Tuberville, Leach, or someone else.

"Mr. Davis, we have Auburn University on the line, are you accepting phone calls?"

"Always...put them right through!"