Page 2526 of 3384 FirstFirst ... 15262026242624762516252425252526252725282536257626263026 ... LastLast
Results 50,501 to 50,520 of 67668
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Exactly.
    Somebody trying to make edifying conversation asked me a few weeks back, "So what do you think of all this Russia and China stuff?"
    My response was essentially, "Uhhhh...unless you like to worry, maybe don't ask a history teacher that."
    The only way this is scarier is if Biden, Putin and Xi are all cousins.

Very interested to see what NATO, the EU, and the UN decide today.
    If China decides to copy off Putin’s paper with regard to Taiwan, we’re all in very serious trouble.
    yep, say goodbye to 90% of the most advanced computer chips made in the world (by TSMC). The Ukraine invasion is horrible enough, but a Taiwan invasion would have much graver consequences, at least initially.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yep, say goodbye to 90% of the most advanced computer chips made in the world (by TSMC). The Ukraine invasion is horrible enough, but a Taiwan invasion would have much graver consequences, at least initially.
    I think the likelihood is that Xi isn't actually reckless or short-sighted enough to do this, and I don't think there's as cozy a relationship between Beijing and Moscow as it sometimes appears (though their arguments for ethno-nationalist claims on neighboring sovereign territories overlap a lot).
    I think Putin's endgame here is basically to empty Ukraine out via a refugee crisis, install a puppet regime, and then reap the benefits of Ukraine's famed richness of natural resources and strategic location.

I think the likelihood is that Xi isn't actually reckless or short-sighted enough to do this, and I don't think there's as cozy a relationship between Beijing and Moscow as it sometimes appears (though their arguments for ethno-nationalist claims on neighboring sovereign territories overlap a lot).
    I think Putin's endgame here is basically to empty Ukraine out via a refugee crisis, install a puppet regime, and then reap the benefits of Ukraine's famed richness of natural resources and strategic location.
    I am positive that Xi told VLad at the Olympics not to screw up his time in the sun, please wait to invade until next week...Xi can buy a bunch of Russian oil to help out his pal.
    As for Putins end game, who knows? He longs for the good olde days of the USSR, would not mind adding a few more republics if he can get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    This Poly Sci./History major agrees.

They spoke German in the Sudetenland, and the peoples were of cultural Germanic descent . . . .
    Yes.

"Historic borders" and "reuniting our ethnic brothers" is very reminiscent of lebensraum and other philosophies from almost 100 years ago that spelled disaster for all.

I am positive that Xi told VLad at the Olympics not to screw up his time in the sun, please wait to invade until next week...Xi can buy a bunch of Russian oil to help out his pal.
    For sure this...while they aren't likely to sign on the dotted line of any sort of traditional alliance anytime soon, Xi will have no compunction about buying up Russian oil, which Vlad will appreciate in the wake of the heavy sanctions that are coming from pretty much everywhere else.
    As for Putins end game, who knows? He longs for the good olde days of the USSR, would not mind adding a few more republics if he can get away with it.
    This is also 100% true. Belarus is basically already a Russian puppet; in fact, it served as a key staging ground for some of the ongoing land invasions. Georgia is also on the list (you might recall that Russia invaded Georgia in 2008, which now looks an awful lot like a practice run for what's happening now).

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I take solace in one thing, Putin's age. Keeping a firm grip on dictatorships is a much younger man's game. Dictators of large, diverse countries don't last much past 70. You want to stay in the dictator game long term and die of natural causes in your 80s, best to keep to a small island nation. Even then, the odds aren't in your favor, but they are better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I take solace in one thing, Putin's age. Keeping a firm grip on dictatorships is a much younger man's game. Dictators of large, diverse countries don't last much past 70. You want to stay in the dictator game long term and die of natural causes in your 80s, best to keep to a small island nation. Even then, the odds aren't in your favor, but they are better.
    yes, it will get weird, because guys like Vlad can't retire...but we can't minimize the control he currently has, no one can reign him in.

A little slow in putting in my request for NCAA Tourney tickets. Put in for Dallas, San Antonio, and New Orleans. This is when I’ll regret not donating more to Iron Dukes.

Will go to the Duke-Baylor baseball game this Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Oof. He could do a lot of damage before old age takes him.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Will go to the Duke-Baylor baseball game this Saturday.
    Will you be whistling

I'm on the verge of flaming in the Russia/Ukraine thread.

I'm on the verge of flaming in the Russia/Ukraine thread.
    I know man I'm hell on thread discipline. I'll be better. I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Will you be whistling
    Nope…not my thing and the different alma later. So feel free to watch whistle free.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Nope…not my thing and the different alma later. So feel free to watch whistle free.
    Hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I know man I'm hell on thread discipline. I'll be better. I promise.
    Wilson's going to kick your butt with his Kermit shoes.

Actually, Wilson, I strongly suggest you take them off first. You might get something on them, and they are way cool.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post

Actually, Wilson, I strongly suggest you take them off first. You might get something on them, and they are way cool.
    I know! And you don't go around angering Wilsons. I've seen the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post

Right...I'll kick some [wanker] in my Kermit shoes, and then kick some more [wanker] for making me mess them up.
    Doesn't help that I'm already in a Covid-befouled mood.

Right...I'll kick some [wanker] in my Kermit shoes, and then kick some more [wanker] for making me mess them up.
    Doesn't help that I'm already in a Covid-befouled mood.
    I said I'm sorry!!!!!