Page 2017 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 101715171917196720072015201620172018201920272067211725173017 ... LastLast
Results 40,321 to 40,340 of 67399
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I posted before about Paddies application to Boston College, yes? Kudos to BC for coming up with what I think is the best question any school asks on their applications. Not a direct quote but close enough "If you were tasked with designing a new course to teach at BC, what would the course entail?" Paddies described the course he would teach on medieval economic history with specific emphasis on medieval guilds. After his description, I wanted to take the course. He wound up wait-listed at BC, which is rather hard to get into these days, so I was surprised that he did well enough to be wait-listed given his somewhat checkered past at the time. I'm convinced it was that answer to that question. Well that and the fact that the transfer admissions councilor in charge of his application reached out to him directly with questions about the bizarre transcript he had to submit from Michigan State. (He got a medical withdrawal so his transcript lists four courses with no grades, not even incompletes, it's just the courses listed but it doesn't say that he medically withdrew.) He was able to directly communicate about his anxiety disorder and the work he had been doing to get himself ready to return to being a full time student.
    Hope he gets in! And cool class idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Osmond View Post
    I'm very much human lol.
    Prove it:

45DEB493-B5DF-43FD-9908-969B97139DA0.jpg

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    At the risk of repeating myself, again, I spoke with T-Bone about a week ago and I could tell he was upset about something. Turns out he is probably going to get a C in one of the computer science classes he is taking this semester. I said, "Dude, you're a Classics major, who cares how you do in computer science? Getting one C in college is nothing to worry about." He then confessed that he is not enjoying computer science anymore and I told him not to take any more classes in it. He then said that he wouldn't be able to complete a minor if he didn't and I said, "What do you need a minor in computer science for?" He thought he had to minor in something. I told him that no, he didn't. I think my reaction worked wonders. I talked to him a few days later, different kid. He sounded super excited about the courses he's going to take in the fall: Greek Art and Archaeology, Greek Epic Poetry, Pre-Columbian Archaeology, an English class in Arthurian literature, and Old English (finally!). That's my kid. Forget the computer science. I told him he has learned to code well enough to have that skill in his toolbox - for a different career. He's not a software engineer and he'd be miserable if he tried to become one.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I want to touch on Hanna-Barbera characters and franchises, so will probably do Flinstones, Scooby Doo, and Wacky Races, with maybe a Huckleberry Hound/Yogi/Magilla Gorilla short thrown in there.
    What?!? No

phooey.jpg

or

sbuggy.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Hope he gets in! And cool class idea.
    Thank you. This was from 3 years ago when he was applying as transfer student. He is about to graduate from UVM. In the end, he didn't even choose to stay on the waitlist. BC was the most expensive of all the transfer options where he was either accepted or waitlisted. Add to that the costs of an apartment in the Boston area and we decided to just be flattered by the offer. At the time, we really couldn't afford BC for him and it would not have been good for him to live at home even though we live less than 2 miles from the campus. He applied because we live so close but after thinking about it more, the reality of living at home and going to school did not appeal to any of us.

Thank you. This was from 3 years ago when he was applying as transfer student. He is about to graduate from UVM. In the end, he didn't even choose to stay on the waitlist. BC was the most expensive of all the transfer options where he was either accepted or waitlisted. Add to that the costs of an apartment in the Boston area and we decided to just be flattered by the offer. At the time, we really couldn't afford BC for him and it would not have been good for him to live at home even though we live less than 2 miles from the campus.
    Ah. Plus Burlington is great.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I didn't start watching until the Bob Backlund era of the WWF. Bruno Sammartino, Gorilla Monsoon and some others come to mind. I watched for 4-5 years regularly then kinda moved on.
    Early '80s. Many of those guys were on their way out as the Hulk Hogan era took over.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil
    My friends growing up LOVED wrestling. Bought magazines. Went to events. Watched every Saturday morning...and I absolutely HATED it. Just despised it, but I watched a ton like I was in a hostage situation.
    Are they still fans?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere
    I didn't start watching until the Bob Backlund era of the WWF. Bruno Sammartino, Gorilla Monsoon and some others come to mind. I watched for 4-5 years regularly then kinda moved on.
    Early '70s?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap
    The good ole Captcha test . Pics 1, 6 and 9 have traffic lights.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo
    What?!? No

phooey.jpg

or

sbuggy.jpg
    Hong Kong Phooey >>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil
    Thank you. This was from 3 years ago when he was applying as transfer student. He is about to graduate from UVM. In the end, he didn't even choose to stay on the waitlist. BC was the most expensive of all the transfer options where he was either accepted or waitlisted. Add to that the costs of an apartment in the Boston area and we decided to just be flattered by the offer. At the time, we really couldn't afford BC for him and it would not have been good for him to live at home even though we live less than 2 miles from the campus. He applied because we live so close but after thinking about it more, the reality of living at home and going to school did not appeal to any of us.
    I also hope he gets in.

Ah. Plus Burlington is great.
    I was chatting with him a few days ago and I remarked that UVM turned out to be the perfect school for him. He disagreed. Then I said, "Yeah, the perfect school for you would have been Harvard but you never would have been able to get in." So, we settled on the truth, UVM was the best choice among the schools where it was both reasonable for him to apply and where he was accepted. I have known a lot of Harvard students in my time working there. Paddies would have been a hot knife through butter over there. Given his history, I told him to put a pin in Boston and he could apply anywhere that I could drive to in 4 hours. Burlington takes me 4 1/2 but that's because I need to make a stop. It fits within the radius. BC was his "reach" school as a transfer student, well, that and Duke because I made him apply. I genuinely thought he had a chance but it's probably for the best that he didn't get in because I probably would have insisted that he go and it wouldn't have been the best choice. Yeah, yeah, it doesn't fit in the radius but my parents are still in Durham. My brother is there too. And aimo. I needed to know somebody could go pick him up at the drop of a hat in case he had another episode like he did at Michigan State. He didn't. But it has still been a good idea to have him go somewhere I can get to in a car in an emergency.

Harvard has no students like Paddies and it's their loss. From what I can tell, neither does Duke. It's a shame.

I was chatting with him a few days ago and I remarked that UVM turned out to be the perfect school for him. He disagreed. Then I said, "Yeah, the perfect school for you would have been Harvard but you never would have been able to get in." So, we settled on the truth, UVM was the best choice among the schools where it was both reasonable for him to apply and where he was accepted. I have known a lot of Harvard students in my time working there. Paddies would have been a hot knife through butter over there. Given his history, I told him to put a pin in Boston and he could apply anywhere that I could drive to in 4 hours. Burlington takes me 4 1/2 but that's because I need to make a stop. It fits within the radius. BC was his "reach" school as a transfer student, well, that and Duke because I made him apply. I genuinely thought he had a chance but it's probably for the best that he didn't get in because I probably would have insisted that he go and it wouldn't have been the best choice. Yeah, yeah, it doesn't fit in the radius but my parents are still in Durham. My brother is there too. And aimo. I needed to know somebody could go pick him up at the drop of a hat in case he had another episode like he did at Michigan State. He didn't. But it has still been a good idea to have him go somewhere I can get to in a car in an emergency.

Harvard has no students like Paddies and it's their loss. From what I can tell, neither does Duke. It's a shame.
    How cool he is graduating! What is next?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Osmond View Post
    Are they still fans?
    One of them is. Very much so. I literally hated it but watched hundreds of hours with my friends. So I do know who all the guys are and all of their moves. I have seen Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair in different airports over the years. And I flashed Flair the "4 Horsemen" sign and received a PIERCING "WHOOOOOOOOOOOO" in return. That really was cool.

And I am the worst person in Surry County history. Hated wrestling, I have never been hunting, I have never seen a Nascar race. And politically I am...ummm...different than most of the natives.

OK - not super conversant. We did not have TV growing up.

However, saw some weekend bouts when visiting relatives - Chief Jay Strongbow was my youthful fan interest. Seem to also recall Ivan Putztki(sp?) aka the Polish Hammer.

How cool he is graduating! What is next?
    He is staying in Burlington for the summer, working as a TA for one of his professors in summer school, and going to all the Vermont Lake Monster home games.

Eventually he wants to go to business school.

In August, he is moving to Maryland and working at a small science tech incubator. He was bemoaning the fact that he would be job hunting during a pandemic. He showed me this joke Ted talk that featured a guy talking about job hunting strategies who said that after you've tried everything, ask yourself, have you really tried everything, then ask your rich dad for a job. We had a good laugh over it, then I asked him, "Wait. Have you tried that? Why don't you ask your rich dad for a job?" As part of what the hubby is doing at Maryland, he's helped set up an incubator for science tech start-ups that is UMD adjacent, they have an entry level position. Paddies knows that what he wants to do is be a financial analyst for a scientific tech company (not computer tech) but the kinds of jobs he really wants require experience. He's going to be one of only 4 employees and he has been told that he will get to do some things that he really wants to do but he's also going to be asked to do all the stuff that nobody else wants to do cause he'll be the only entry level employee. He's fine with that. He'll be fantastic.

One of them is. Very much so. I literally hated it but watched hundreds of hours with my friends. So I do know who all the guys are and all of their moves. I have seen Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair in different airports over the years. And I flashed Flair the "4 Horsemen" sign and received a PIERCING "WHOOOOOOOOOOOO" in return. That really was cool.

And I am the worst person in Surry County history. Hated wrestling, I have never been hunting, I have never seen a Nascar race. And politically I am...ummm...different than most of the natives.
    That is my personal Everest. AWESOME!

He is staying in Burlington for the summer, working as a TA for one of his professors in summer school, and going to all the Vermont Lake Monster home games.

Eventually he wants to go to business school.

In August, he is moving to Maryland and working at a small science tech incubator. He was bemoaning the fact that he would be job hunting during a pandemic. He showed me this joke Ted talk that featured a guy talking about job hunting strategies who said that after you've tried everything, ask yourself, have you really tried everything, then ask your rich dad for a job. We had a good laugh over it, then I asked him, "Wait. Have you tried that? Why don't you ask your rich dad for a job?" As part of what the hubby is doing at Maryland, he's helped set up an incubator for science tech start-ups that is UMD adjacent, they have an entry level position. Paddies knows that what he wants to do is be a financial analyst for a scientific tech company (not computer tech) but the kinds of jobs he really wants require experience. He's going to be one of only 4 employees and he has been told that he will get to do some things that he really wants to do but he's also going to be asked to do all the stuff that nobody else wants to do cause he'll be the only entry level employee. He's fine with that. He'll be fantastic.
    That's great!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    That is my personal Everest. AWESOME!
    It went down exactly how you would want it to.

It went down exactly how you would want it to.
    Did you whoooooo back?

I say I would but I probably would be too chicken IRL.

Did you whoooooo back?

I say I would but I probably would be too chicken IRL.
    I cackled wildly.

And here we go again.

And here we go again.
    Time to make the doughnuts? I am making red beans and rice for dinner. My daughter is moving into an apartment next year and we love to cook together. The problem is I don't write anything down, so we are trying to record my recipes so she can make them.