Page 2746 of 3384 FirstFirst ... 17462246264626962736274427452746274727482756279628463246 ... LastLast
Results 54,901 to 54,920 of 67675
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Of course, but there might be something else too.
    OPK’s honeymoon?

http://https://www.kctv5.com/2022/07/30/navajo-code-talker-samuel-sandoval-dies-3-left-group/?fbclid=IwAR2uwwrzg0Hi5TnId5IoJCYHGvTtFyfpy6P6YH67 MfL2sVPmgJbPK6S871s
    I had the privilege of hearing Sam talk on both of the mission trips to Shiprock, NM. The world lost an amazing man.

There are on 3 Navajo Codetalkers left.
    Last edited by DukieInKansas; 07-31-2022 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    To me this isn't HUGE deal, but it is one more little deal that is eroding my level of interest.
    Interest in ?
    Of course, but there might be something else too.

Recognizing today as George Jetson's birthday?

Interest in ?
    Interest in...

wrong thread.

Whoopsies.

Nichelle Nichols of Star Trek fame passed yesterday.

Interest in...

wrong thread.

Whoopsies.
    Well, now my curiosity is piquieiered.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    http://https://www.kctv5.com/2022/07/30/navajo-code-talker-samuel-sandoval-dies-3-left-group/?fbclid=IwAR2uwwrzg0Hi5TnId5IoJCYHGvTtFyfpy6P6YH67 MfL2sVPmgJbPK6S871s
    I had the privilege of hearing Sam talk on both of the mission trips to Shiprock, NM. The world lost an amazing man.

There are on 3 Navajo Codetalkers left.
    Just offered FWIW, there were other code talkers, as well, just less publicized. Unfortunately, there are still just three total left.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Just offered FWIW, there were other code talkers, as well, just less publicized. Unfortunately, there are still just three total left.
    I believe there were 110 Navajo Codetalkers. And yes, there were also other Native American tribes that were codetalkers - 14, I believe. Choctaw, among others, were codetalkers during WWI.

I believe there were 110 Navajo Codetalkers. And yes, there were also other Native American tribes that were codetalkers - 14, I believe. Choctaw, among others, were codetalkers during WWI.
    Indeed. I linked to a Tlingit article, specifically, because:

1. Tlingit lands were actually very close to the Pacific front, given that the Aleutian Islands were invaded. I believe all Tlingit code talkers were employed in the Pacific Theater.
    2. My family had a close connection to the Tlingit tribe when I was growing up, and I may have met one of the code talkers as a child. I'm not 100% sure of that (because the code talkers were not permitted to disclose their activities at the time, and the relationship was not ongoing), but I knew someone with the correct name of the approximately correct age.

Very few people are truly aware that code talkers from other tribes/nations also participated in the war effort in this way, so i thought I'd just add that in. I certainly did not mean to diminish the recognition for Mr. Sandoval, which I now realize it may have seemed that I was doing. I very much admire this entire group, members of which did arduous, dangerous work in the service of the country that effectively took their lands. Though inevitable, I'm sorry to lose one more member of this very exclusive club.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Indeed. I linked to a Tlingit article, specifically, because:

1. Tlingit lands were actually very close to the Pacific front, given that the Aleutian Islands were invaded. I believe all Tlingit code talkers were employed in the Pacific Theater.
    2. My family had a close connection to the Tlingit tribe when I was growing up, and I may have met one of the code talkers as a child. I'm not 100% sure of that (because the code talkers were not permitted to disclose their activities at the time, and the relationship was not ongoing), but I knew someone with the correct name of the approximately correct age.

Very few people are truly aware that code talkers from other tribes/nations also participated in the war effort in this way, so i thought I'd just add that in. I certainly did not mean to diminish the recognition for Mr. Sandoval, which I now realize it may have seemed that I was doing. I very much admire this entire group, members of which did arduous, dangerous work in the service of the country that effectively took their lands. Though inevitable, I'm sorry to lose one more member of this very exclusive club.
    I'm in awe of all the native Americans that served. Suddenly, they were using the languages they used to be punished for speaking to help the government that allowed that to happen. Until I heard Sam speak, I didn't realize these men were not operating behind the lines but were often among the first on the beach. Your article prompted me to search more - I was unaware of codetalkers being used in WWI.

Always good to learn. Thanks for the link.

Long night...one of the feral cats I feed had been missing the last 10 days or so. I was worried enough about her that I bought a trail camera to see if she was coming around at night. (Usually I saw her in the morning when I left food out and then again at dusk. She always hissed at me, not in a mean way, but it was how she said hello to me.) She was back tonight, collapsed in my yard. I took her to the emergency vet, nothing infectious but kidneys were shut down and liver function was headed the same direction.) For the first time in her short 18 month life, I held her as she went to her final peace. RIP, Tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Long night...one of the feral cats I feed had been missing the last 10 days or so. I was worried enough about her that I bought a trail camera to see if she was coming around at night. (Usually I saw her in the morning when I left food out and then again at dusk. She always hissed at me, not in a mean way, but it was how she said hello to me.) She was back tonight, collapsed in my yard. I took her to the emergency vet, nothing infectious but kidneys were shut down and liver function was headed the same direction.) For the first time in her short 18 month life, I held her as she went to her final peace. RIP, Tiger.
    I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry for your loss.
    Yes, sorry to hear it. Sounds like a tough night.

Thanks, DinK and Bunda. You tell yourself not to get emotionally involved but still...💔

Thanks, DinK and Bunda. You tell yourself not to get emotionally involved but still...💔
    Well, that just doesn't happen. Animals are important to us.

Every time someone tells me about losing a pet, I remember every pet I ever lost.

I’m so sorry. I’m glad she came back to you and that you were there for her.

Well, that just doesn't happen. Animals are important to us.

Every time someone tells me about losing a pet, I remember every pet I ever lost.
    I cannot think about my childhood dog and the process of putting him to sleep without getting misty-eyed more than 2 decades later.

I am very curious since I love animals, always wanted a dog, but never had a pet other than my kids' Guinea pigs. I also watch a lot of the vet shows like Dr. Pol and Dr. Oakley on Nat Geo Wild. Oftentimes people on these shows bring in feral cats for treatment like you did. Since the cat is feral, even if they could treat it, it wouldn't be adopted and would go back in the wild. So basically what you're doing is totally altruistic. You have nothing to gain since it's not your pet. How much does an emergency vet visit like that cost?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

You're a good man Ymo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Since the cat is feral, even if they could treat it, it wouldn't be adopted and would go back in the wild. So basically what you're doing is totally altruistic. You have nothing to gain since it's not your pet. How much does an emergency vet visit like that cost?
    I respectfully disagree. Altruism does involve a gain ... but it is purely for the inner peace of the bestower. And that is not for nothing.