Page 33 of 46 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    The Good - Freshman Miela Goodchild (from the post-game notes):

-- Scored a career-high 26 points
    -- Her 26 points was tied for the 12th most by a Duke freshman in a single game
    -- Hit a Duke freshman record eight three-pointers and tied the Duke overall record with her eight treys
    -- Attempted a Duke freshman record 14 treys
    -- Her 14 three-pointers attempted is tied for the fourth most in Duke history
    -- Collected 20+ points for the third time this season – all against ACC foes
    -- Hit 4-of-7 treys in the third quarter for 12 points
    -- Now owns 61 treys on the season and is 11 away from tying the Duke freshman record of 72 by Rebecca Greenwell

The Not-So-Good news (from the post-game notes)

-- Duke allowed a season-high 51.3 percent shooting by Notre Dame.
    -- The 89 points allowed was a season high allowed in regulation. The 89 points is the most scored by Notre Dame in the series against Duke.
    -- Duke was down 52-25 at the half, which was tied for the third-largest halftime deficits in school history (27).

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=211791903

Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    WBB: Duke Postgame Presser 2/21
    http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...200&id=6311414
    http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...08693&cid=1002

Excerpts from Coach P's post-game press conference:

-- "We didn't really slow down 24, Arike, very much."
    -- "I'm proud of my team. I'm proud of what we are going through, what we're fighting, what we're doing.
    -- "Miela showed the most incredible character against a very good team."
    -- "The rebounding deficit points to the whole issue. Numbers 32 and 11, you know them by name, and I do, too. The two post players...two senior post players with a lot of experience, and they really took it to us."
    -- "When Notre Dame plays like this, they are a cut above. They are dominant at a very critical time. This kind of play is top level and the top of the conference."
    -- "We didn't or couldn't get the job done tonight. Obviously, that is a valuable lesson for us."
    Wow, you're kidding me. McCallie still refuses to mention players by name in her pressers. Was disrespectful back in 2014 when we got crushed by ND that their coach took note. You'd think after another curbstomping and going 0-14 against ND lifetime at Duke, she'd bother to extend this courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    Wow, you're kidding me. McCallie still refuses to mention players by name in her pressers. Was disrespectful back in 2014 when we got crushed by ND that their coach took note. You'd think after another curbstomping and going 0-14 against ND lifetime at Duke, she'd bother to extend this courtesy.
    Referring to players by number is her calling card. Personally, I think it is a little disrespectful (since a few of the players were ones she recruited), but she is not going to change that practice.

That being said, I included some of her other quotes, as Coach P was extremely complimentary of Notre Dame for the Irish's performance. She was effusive in her praise for Notre Dame's play since losing to Miami as well as the team's leadership and interior scoring.

Referring to players by number is her calling card. Personally, I think it is a little disrespectful (since a few of the players were ones she recruited), but she is not going to change that practice.

That being said, I included some of her other quotes, as Coach P was extremely complimentary of Notre Dame for the Irish's performance. She was effusive in her praise for Notre Dame's play since losing to Miami as well as the team's leadership and interior scoring.
    You'd be surprised how many coaches do this. When they're doing scouting reports and showing film to their players, they reference opposing players by numbers, not names and I think it carries over.

McCallie does carry it to an extreme, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    You'd be surprised how many coaches do this. When they're doing scouting reports and showing film to their players, they reference opposing players by numbers, not names and I think it carries over.

I'm not a huge fan, but on the list of things that bother me about how she represents the university, this is like a raindrop in a tsunami.
    1200. DDMF.

This is certainly the case, and of course as you know, a film session with the team is quite different than the post game presser. I think it comes off odd. It's kind of tic that someone who won national championships could get away with and people might even find it kind charming or interesting - but I don't like the look. (not that Coach McCallie cares what I think).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Bad shooting and too many turnovers have allowed this game to stay close. Luckily for Duke, Wake likes to miss the basket and turn the ball over too.
    Two bad teams = an ugly game. At the half, Duke is a little less ugly than Wake, and has the lead, 25-18. (Helped by a nice three pointer from Goodchild with under 5 seconds left.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Both teams with an 8-point second quarter. 11 combined TOs (Wake 5, Duke 6), and both teams under 30% shooting. We are keeping them in the game by ignoring the glass - the offensive glass, in particular. For the half, they have 11 offensive boards, while we have 15 total.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    55-44 win. Nice D. And it's a win, so not gonna complain about anything else. Seriously, any win this team makes is another bright spot in the season.

Two to go, and then the ACC tourney.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    55-44 win. Nice D. And it's a win, so not gonna complain about anything else. Seriously, any win this team makes is another bright spot in the season.

Two to go, and then the ACC tourney.
    Bright spot (also known as Miela watch): Only 7 behind Becca for the freshman 3-point record with minimum 3 games left. Hitting at a 47% clip.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Bright spot (also known as Miela watch): Only 7 behind Becca for the freshman 3-point record with minimum 3 games left. Hitting at a 47% clip.
    Jade tied her career high with 17. Even better, she looked like she had a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    This is certainly the case, and of course as you know, a film session with the team is quite different than the post game presser. I think it comes off odd. It's kind of tic that someone who won national championships could get away with and people might even find it kind charming or interesting - but I don't like the look. (not that Coach McCallie cares what I think).
    In this particular press conference (after the Notre Dame game), it occurred twice:
    -- "The rebounding deficit points to the whole issue. Numbers 32 and 11, you know them by name, and I do, too. The two post players...two senior post players with a lot of experience, and they really took it to us."

Referring to players by number is her calling card. As I stated before, I think it is a little disrespectful (since a few of the players were ones she recruited), but she is not going to change that practice.

The reason why I do not give her a pass is because she is married to the box score in a post-game press conference. If you watch the video of the press conference after the ND loss, she is answering some questions whthout even looking at the reporters, constantly looking down and her eyes affixed at the box score.

And the box scores have the players’ numbers as well as their names.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm not a huge fan, but on the list of things that bother me about how she represents the university, this is like a raindrop in a tsunami.
    I can certainly understand this. And I can see other posters' points about the identification of opposing players by numbers in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Miela Goodchild Watch
    • Tallied 14 points, three assists and three steals
    • Drained 4-of-8 three-pointers
    • Over last two games, hit 12-of-22 treys
    • Hit 2-of-2 three-pointers in the first half and drained 9-of-14 treys over her last four quarters of basketball dating back to Notre Dame
    • Hit a three-pointer in six straight quarters

Three-Point Field Goals Made (Season)
    1. 87 Tricia Liston, 2013-14
    2. 83 Rebecca Greenwell, 2016-17
    3. 80 Tricia Liston, 2012-13
    4(tie). 73 Rebecca Greenwell, 2017-18
    73 Lexie Brown, 2016-17
    73 Rebecca Greenwell, 2015-16
    7. 72 Rebecca Greenwell, 2014-15
    8. 69 Lexie Brown, 2017-18
    9 (tie). 68 Abby Waner, 2006-07
    68 Jessica Foley, 2004-05

Three-Point Field Goal Percentage (Season)
    1. .539 Jenni Kraft, 1988-89
    2. .481 Tricia Liston, 2013-14
    3. .474 Vicki Krapohl, 2001-02
    4. .474 Haley Peters, 2012-13
    5. .473 Naz Medhanie, 1996-97
    6 (tie). .465 Tricia Liston, 2012-13
    .465 Krista Gingrich, 2001-02
    8. .460 Tricia Liston, 2011-12
    9. .459 Karima Christmas, 2008-09
    10. .452 Laura Kurz, 2004-05

After 26 games -- with two regular season ACC contests and the ACC Tournament remaining -- Miela Goodchild has made 65 three point baskets (139 attempts) for a percentage of .468. If she keeps up the pace and percentages, she will finish in the top ten in both of the above season categories in the DWB recordbook.

In terms of freshmen records, Miela ranks 1st in made threes per game and currently ranks #2 on the lists for made threes in a season and three-point percentage in the freshman season.

In this particular press conference (after the Notre Dame game), it occurred twice:

Referring to players by number is her calling card. As I stated before, I think it is a little disrespectful (since a few of the players were ones she recruited), but she is not going to change that practice.

The reason why I do not give her a pass is because she is married to the box score in a post-game press conference. If you watch the video of the press conference after the ND loss, she is answering some questions whthout even looking at the reporters, constantly looking down and her eyes affixed at the box score.

And the box scores have the players’ numbers as well as their names.

I can certainly understand this. And I can see other posters' points about the identification of opposing players by numbers in practice.
    Does she get any credit for adding #24's first name? I think she should use names but that isn't apt to change at this point.

I thought the tweet from the ND coach, although somewhat humorous, was not the best look for her/them. I guess it is possible that the two coaches are friends and it was a good-humored jab at Coach P. It came across as petty. (YMMV)

The Chronicle: Duke women's basketball looks to extend winning streak against Clemson
    By Jonathan Browning | 02/27/2019
    https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...gainst-clemson

“It’ll be a good test for us. Clemson is an athletic team, they’re gonna pick up full court, they’re gonna press throughout the game. They play at sort of a frenetic pace and so it’ll be very important for us to settle down and execute and ball fake and make good decisions," head coach Joanne P. McCallie said. "If we are able to have 12, 11 turnovers against Clemson that would be incredibly impressive and very positive for us in the game."

"If we are able to have 12, 11 turnovers against ̶C̶̶l̶̶e̶̶m̶̶s̶̶o̶̶n̶ Any Team that would be incredibly impressive and very positive for us in the game."[/I]
    Fixed Coach P's quote.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Does she get any credit for adding #24's first name? I think she should use names but that isn't apt to change at this point.

I thought the tweet from the ND coach, although somewhat humorous, was not the best look for her/them. I guess it is possible that the two coaches are friends and it was a good-humored jab at Coach P. It came across as petty. (YMMV)
    Muffet.jpg

Not to bring this up again, since Muffet McGraw's tweet was on February 3, 2014, but I want to provide a little context. The tweet appears to be in response to Joanne P. McCallie's comments in the post-game press conference after Duke was blown out by Notre Dame in Cameron, 88-67.

Quotes: Notre Dame 88, Duke 67

Duke Head Coach Joanne P. McCallie:
    • "I thought Notre Dame played great. They’re very consistent. Their seniors are very consistent, particularly #21 and #11 in terms of the confidence they give their team."
    • "And so I’m sure I’ll see a combination of passes missed in to her and then times her being taken out by 11 as well, when it comes down to watching."
    • "I think bench is significant, and I think there’s no question their bench outplayed our bench. We’ve always looked at 23 there. She had eight points. That was a good eight points for them. I think she was probably the key one. That was a key eight points. I thought her stepping up was very good for them. And I thought that 15 stepped up for them. I know she’s not a bench person."

Notre Dame Head Coach Muffet McGraw
    • "I thought Liston played well, we did a much better job on her in the second half"
    • "We were gonna play all man-to-man and try not to let Liston, well make it hard for her to get the ball ,and you know we didn’t do a great job of that in the first half."

Watching Coach P at a press conference, you can see she is very much wedded to a box score, which has the player's names in addition to the numbers. But she knew which players were seniors (which is not in the box score). I can see where Coach McGraw may have been taken aback by Coach P's use of the player's numbers and may have believed that her doing so was intentional (given, for example, the fact that Coach P knew the class year of two of the players which is not in the box score as well as Coach McGraw's use of the last name of a Duke player).

DukieInKansas, I agree with you that Coach P is not likely to change this practice, as she has been doing this for years and years. Jimsumner noted that while other coaches may do this, Coach P carries it to the extreme. And as uh_no stated, "I'm not a huge fan, but on the list of things that bother me about how she represents the university, this is like a raindrop in a tsunami."

That being said, I do not share your belief that Coach McGraw's tweet came across as petty? Reactionary? Maybe. Unnecessary? Perhaps. But I took the tweet as being in response to something Coach P initially did and Coach McGraw wanting to convey that such a practice might be disrespectful to her players.

DukeClemson.PNG

Getting back to tonight's Duke-Clemson matchup, RealTimeRPI's GAMER score prediction is Duke defeating Clemson, 71-67. RealTimeRPI also notes that Duke's win probability is 57.0 percent.

http://www.realtimerpi.com/cgi-bin/r...=at&date=02-28

Muffet.jpg

Not to bring this up again, since Muffet McGraw's tweet was on February 3, 2014, but I want to provide a little context. The tweet appears to be in response to Joanne P. McCallie's comments in the post-game press conference after Duke was blown out by Notre Dame in Cameron, 88-67.
    How would we or K react if after beating UVA, Bennett said "We didn't do well enough guarding #5, and with #1, we just didn't do what we practiced."

We'd be all over him...and K would almost assuredly say something like "Maybe he cut cable and lies under a rock"
    1200. DDMF.