Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Took the summer off, been back at it for a week. Interesting to see that my weight training levels did not drop or atrophy too badly. The gut got bigger though . . . .

100 pushup challenge

I'm nursing a running injury and have decided to shake up my exercise routine until my leg is healed.

I started the 100 Pushup Challenge, just completed week 4. It has been very challenging and I may have met my match today, I don't think I am on a trajectory to do 100 consecutive pushups, with no breaks, in the next two weeks. I may try to repeat week 4 to see if I'm back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I'm nursing a running injury and have decided to shake up my exercise routine until my leg is healed.

I started the 100 Pushup Challenge, just completed week 4. It has been very challenging and I may have met my match today, I don't think I am on a trajectory to do 100 consecutive pushups, with no breaks, in the next two weeks. I may try to repeat week 4 to see if I'm back on track.
    What was your baseline? I've thought about doing this before but never pulled the trigger despite being a regular pusher upper...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    What was your baseline? I've thought about doing this before but never pulled the trigger despite being a regular pusher upper...
    Everybody loves a pusher...

100 pushups?! I'm embarrassed to say I give out after about 12

On a positive note, I am down to 187! 7 pounds away from my goal.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I could do 25-30 consecutive pushups, depending on the day.

I did day 3 of week 4 today and did sets of 23, 28, 23, 23 but then didn't meet the 33+ exhaustion goal on the last set.

It's pretty interesting, my kids all vowed to do it also. Only one is still going.

hour and a half of aerobic lawn mowing after walking the hound for four miles merits cold beer right now.

My shoulder

So, a few months ago I was doing some bench press and I surprisingly and suddenly realized that my left shoulder couldn't lift the bar as easily as the right anymore. I now have pain in my shoulder (in the 'ball' part-mostly on the outside) which hasn't gone away since I hurt it. I have trouble sticking my arm out to the side and raising it now, and I feel like I don't have the flexibility I used to. I haven't done anymore bench pressing since it's been hurting, and the pain is not always there (it's fine when I sleep on it for example), but I feel it pretty regularly. I fear it's probably a rotator cuff strain of some sort...Does anyone know of some PT strategies to help the situation? I'm scared of injuring it more and definitely don't want surgery if I can help it...Thanks for your input!!

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    So, a few months ago I was doing some bench press and I surprisingly and suddenly realized that my left shoulder couldn't lift the bar as easily as the right anymore. I now have pain in my shoulder (in the 'ball' part-mostly on the outside) which hasn't gone away since I hurt it. I have trouble sticking my arm out to the side and raising it now, and I feel like I don't have the flexibility I used to. I haven't done anymore bench pressing since it's been hurting, and the pain is not always there (it's fine when I sleep on it for example), but I feel it pretty regularly. I fear it's probably a rotator cuff strain of some sort...Does anyone know of some PT strategies to help the situation? I'm scared of injuring it more and definitely don't want surgery if I can help it...Thanks for your input!!
    I have had the same problem with bench presses and just do some curls now to keep my upper body from shriveling to nothing...presses went well, then came the persistent pain, has happened several times...

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    100 pushups?! I'm embarrassed to say I give out after about 12

On a positive note, I am down to 187! 7 pounds away from my goal.
    Impressive. Well done. Time to celebrate with a beer?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I’ve dealt with a similar shoulder injury. Despite my name, I’m not a doctor. So you should go see an orthopedist. It could be several things, not necessarily the rotator cuff. You could just have inflammation and an impingement like I seem to have had. A simple course of steroids did wonders for me. I’ve also had a cortisone shot in the past that helped for more than a year. Physicians cannot make a specific diagnosis without an MRI. I’m not at that point yet. But it may be necessary at some point. Hope this helps a little.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

I've been successfully operating under the theory for some time that if a particular exercise or activity hurts (repeatedly) I just don't do it any more. Very brisk walking 5-6 miles/day with dog seems to be my sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Yep, that's the one. My chip time was 23:33...technically 19 secs off of my treadmill best, but with delays as the race started up and the transition from treadmill running to road running, I'm essentially looking at it as a PB (it's certainly the fastest I've ever run on real terrain, by a very wide margin).
    Had a great time at the festival too...what a perfect southern fall day.
    Wilson, are you headed to R 'n' S this weekend?

I'm trying to improve on my time from last year and go sub-23:00.

My best 5K is 20:21, but that was 20 years and 20 pounds ago. The 20 pounds is actually welcomed muscle that I built up over the years, but I can't run as fast as I used to.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Wilson, are you headed to R 'n' S this weekend?

I'm trying to improve on my time from last year and go sub-23:00.

My best 5K is 20:21, but that was 20 years and 20 pounds ago. The 20 pounds is actually welcomed muscle that I built up over the years, but I can't run as fast as I used to.
    Not running the race this year...I hemmed and hawed about it for too long and it was sold out by the time I got serious. But I will run a 5k on Saturday anyway (at the gym), and I'll definitely be out and about at the festival later in the day.
    Shoot me a PM if you wanna get together and hang out!

Could well be a frozen shoulder, which is treated exactly the opposite of what you would do with a rotator cuff tear.

See a doctor and get an MRI.

Unless you feel that you need to see a Doc, sometimes you just gotta rest and let time do its thing.

I had a stress fracture a month ago from overexercise, just had to ice and elevate and rest until it healed. You won’t atrophy, it’s all good.

I could do 25-30 consecutive pushups, depending on the day.

I did day 3 of week 4 today and did sets of 23, 28, 23, 23 but then didn't meet the 33+ exhaustion goal on the last set.

It's pretty interesting, my kids all vowed to do it also. Only one is still going.
    I finished the 6 week 100 pushup challenge. Final score was pushup challenge 1 - me 0.

I had trouble at week 5, it had a steep increase in pushups. I repeated week 5 - went on to week 6 but could not do 100 pushups. I did 61 so maybe it is a moral victory of sorts.

I finished the 6 week 100 pushup challenge. Final score was pushup challenge 1 - me 0.

I had trouble at week 5, it had a steep increase in pushups. I repeated week 5 - went on to week 6 but could not do 100 pushups. I did 61 so maybe it is a moral victory of sorts.
    But can you do the Terry Crews pec dance?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Not running the race this year...I hemmed and hawed about it for too long and it was sold out by the time I got serious. But I will run a 5k on Saturday anyway (at the gym), and I'll definitely be out and about at the festival later in the day.
    Shoot me a PM if you wanna get together and hang out!
    Sounds good! I probably will not be at the festival post race, due to other commitments and I am not happy that the weather dropped 40 degrees in the last 48 hours.

However, my loft is literally 50 feet from the start of the race, so I can stay warm up until the last few minutes before the gun.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

I've been attempting this ever since I saw you mention it a while back. The challenge is currently beating me as well.