Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Deer Feeding Trough In Maine Live Cameras

Thought everyone would get a kick out off this. 400 pounds of oats every day. 24 hour a day live camera.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVC6sdNnNi0
    If they are not there, check back. They will show. Wild turkeys too.
    Last edited by Devilwin; 02-23-2020 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Thought everyone would get a kick out off this. 400 pounds of oats every day. 24 hour a day live camera.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVC6sdNnNi0
    If they are not there, check back. They will show. Wild turkeys too.
    i confess that i just dropped 50 lbs of corn in my backyard for the deers' Grand Buffet...gotta give them a lot of space, as no matter how much you put out there, some will chase each other way if they can...a highlight is when they get up on their hind legs and bat at each other with the front legs...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    i confess that i just dropped 50 lbs of corn in my backyard for the deers' Grand Buffet...gotta give them a lot of space, as no matter how much you put out there, some will chase each other way if they can...a highlight is when they get up on their hind legs and bat at each other with the front legs...
    I saw two bucks chase a coyote away the other night.

This activity is a bit controversial in many places, including here. For one thing, it's not legal in a lot of states. Local wildlife officials like to claim that the deer stomachs can't process this kind of food this time of year, but I have my doubts, since I've done it (admittedly very off and on) for many years, especially when the snow is deep...and I see the same deer over and over again (they do have personal habits) and they appear to be very healthy. I just think they don't want people baiting the deer, which is a legit concern as there are dimwits who will take deer out of season any way they can.

I periodically give them either corn, or corn with molasses, or alfalfa...all seem to be greatly appreciative...

There's a big piebald doe that comes around there sometimes. In Maine, you cannot bait them during hunting season. But the deer population up there is not half what our's is in NC. Add to that they have rougher winters, and that's why the handouts.

Grrrrr, the deer are awful here in VA. Nightly, coming up the driveway home from work I see 20-40 all over the field.

Gawd, they are the worst!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

It all started when we got rid of all the wolves. We fully did ourselves in when we leashed our dogs.

Now they're all running rampant: Deer. Canada Geese. Coyotes. House Cats.

-jk

That feed may have the most ambitious set of chat rules I have ever seen (below). It's like they don't even know why most people use the internet.

Chat Rules:
    This is a family friendly channel, children and school classes watch.
    Please use English only. Be polite and respectful.
    No talk of eating or killing of animals.
    No inappropriate language or comments.
    No religious, political, race, or sexual comments.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    That feed may have the most ambitious set of chat rules I have ever seen (below). It's like they don't even know why most people use the internet.

Chat Rules:
    This is a family friendly channel, children and school classes watch.
    Please use English only. Be polite and respectful.
    No talk of eating or killing of animals.
    No inappropriate language or comments.
    No religious, political, race, or sexual comments.
    I've broken at least 2 of those rules in DBR Chat this past month! I commented on the Spanish announcer feed of yesterday's Florida-Kentucky game, offering deliberately poor translations of John Calipari ("El Diablo") and Tar Heels ("estúpida oveja"). A few weeks ago I redefined the sports phrase "lot of game left" in the context of the hunter in the film Bambi. I've probably also said some negative things about UNC, but I would argue those comments were appropriate, and something that children and school classes should read.

Oh, and try to watch that video after sunset. The deer in the camera lights look like deer in the headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I've broken at least 2 of those rules in DBR Chat this past month!
    Well somehow I would up watching the live cam feed from Nawtie Lawyers in Lingerie (They're Wet, Wild and Completely Pro Bono!) The Chat rules were a tad more flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    There's a big piebald doe that comes around there sometimes. In Maine, you cannot bait them during hunting season. But the deer population up there is not half what our's is in NC. Add to that they have rougher winters, and that's why the handouts.
    When you have a lot of snow and arduous winters, you end up with fewer but larger, healthier deer...feeding can be fun, but isn't necessary...

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I've broken at least 2 of those rules in DBR Chat this past month! I commented on the Spanish announcer feed of yesterday's Florida-Kentucky game, offering deliberately poor translations of John Calipari ("El Diablo") and Tar Heels ("estúpida oveja"). A few weeks ago I redefined the sports phrase "lot of game left" in the context of the hunter in the film Bambi. I've probably also said some negative things about UNC, but I would argue those comments were appropriate, and something that children and school classes should read.

Oh, and try to watch that video after sunset. The deer in the camera lights look like deer in the headlights.
    I know, right? The number of times I’ve had a post deleted for being “too carnivorous”...Its like, thanks mods but that’s not really a thing.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    The troughs are being filled right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    The troughs are being filled right now.
    didn't take long for the deer to show up. lol.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    That was funny. They must have been hanging out right at the treeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    That was funny. They must have been hanging out right at the treeline.
    when I was working, I ended up feeding them when I came home in the dark, and I could hear them moving around and snorting, waiting for dinner to be served. Right now I have 50 lbs of corn outside, and as soon as it gets dusky, they'll move in.

Nice eight point buck there now.

You know, we can embed the live came right here on the DBR page:

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    When you have a lot of snow and arduous winters, you end up with fewer but larger, healthier deer...feeding can be fun, but isn't necessary...
    True in most cases. But the deer population up there is small when compared to NC. In Maine, hunters are allowed one deer per year, except in archery season.
    NC is six per year.

limit in Vermont is now three (by various means...archery, rifle, muzzleloader) with a proposal to go to four. Tough winters have a way of keeping the numbers reasonable, we don't get the 200 suburban deer in your yard problem...