Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Whether the people currently with the Lakers organization were also there during the Gasol years is not particularly relevant, I don’t think, because they’ve undoubtedly heard all the stories regardless.

Obviously the people with the power to make this decision think extremely highly of him and what he contributed to the Los Angeles Lakers. What else really matters?
    As of late, this board seems to exist for picking at nits. It must be near the end of the off-season. At least, I hope so.

Whether the people currently with the Lakers organization were also there during the Gasol years is not particularly relevant, I don’t think, because they’ve undoubtedly heard all the stories regardless.

Obviously the people with the power to make this decision think extremely highly of him and what he contributed to the Los Angeles Lakers. What else really matters?
    I guess with that logic, nothing else matters besides the opinion of those making the calls. That’s fine with me, I guess. Just a weird way to look at it, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I guess with that logic, nothing else matters besides the opinion of those making the calls. That’s fine with me, I guess. Just a weird way to look at it, IMO.
    This is a team retiring the jersey of one of its own. It’s akin to a parent understanding and appreciating (or not, as the case may be) their child better than others outside the family might.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    As of late, this board seems to exist for picking at nits. It must be near the end of the off-season. At least, I hope so.
    I guess you’re on here because you signed off of the Kyrie thread? And now you’ve come to find that this is pretty slim pickings as well.

My condolences, MD, but this is about as good as it’s going to get right now.

Why are you questioning the Lakers decision to retire the jersey of one of their own players? Shouldn’t they know his value waaaaay better than outsiders do?

They have a wealth of inside information about Pau Gasol and what he meant to the Lakers that nobody outside of the organization could possibly know.
    Because, based on the evidence I can see and the criteria by which I measure jersey retirement, he doesn't merit the honor.

Why are you questioning my opinion? It seems that's basically what this whole thread is about (at least since post #3). You are offering no actual rebuttal to the points raised, but are just speculating about the possible existence of unknown facts. My post had more actual reasoning and evaluation behind it than your rejoinder did. Your reply amounted to a post saying, "Trust them. They must know what they are doing."

It seems that this is an odd way to explicitly call out a particular opinion post in a thread full of opinion posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Because, based on the evidence I can see and the criteria by which I measure jersey retirement, he doesn't merit the honor.

Why are you questioning my opinion? It seems that's basically what this whole thread is about (at least since post #3). You are offering no actual rebuttal to the points raised, but are just speculating about the possible existence of unknown facts. My post had more actual reasoning and evaluation behind it than your rejoinder did. Your reply amounted to a post saying, "Trust them. They must know what they are doing."

It seems that this is an odd way to explicitly call out a particular opinion post in a thread full of opinion posts.
    Look, I really don’t care what the Los Angeles Lakers do. I thoroughly despise them, though I have nothing against the Minneapolis Lakers.

Pau Gasol was a great basketball player — one of the best of the past 20 years. If the Los Angeles Lakers have decided to retire his jersey they are free to do so.

This is, in fact, the very first time I have ever seen people negatively questioning a team’s decision — in any sport — to retire the jersey of one of THEIR OWN PLAYERS. It strikes me as quite bizarre that this became a topic for debate, especially on a Duke fan site.

It strikes me as quite bizarre that this became a topic for debate, especially on a Duke fan site.
    We've all already watched the scrimmage video multiple times. Soon there will be less trivia.

Former NBA players charged in $4M health care fraud scheme
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...e-fraud-scheme

I haven't seen any of our guys on the list of suspects, which is nice.

@GaryParrishCBS
    I think my favorite SDNY/NBA story belongs to Greg Smith. He submitted a $48,000 claim for dental work done in Beverly Hills on 12/20/18. The only problem is that he was actually in Taiwan playing basketball that week. Investigators just pulled the box scores. Hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    TMZ: Glen 'Big Baby' Davis Among 18 Ex-NBA Players Charged With Fraud

It's a real shame to see Glen Davis involved here, making fraudulent medical claims on non-existent conditions, when he himself was born with fetal macrosomia.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

It's a real shame to see Glen Davis involved here, making fraudulent medical claims on non-existent conditions, when he himself was born with fetal macrosomia.
    I've seen some articles make reference to these players as journeymen, not NBA stars. Well, here are the career earnings (from NBA contracts, not counting any overseas contracts) for the indicted players:

Darius Miles - $62 mil
    Tony Allen - $41 mil
    Ruben Patterson - $37 mil
    Glen Davis - $34 mil
    Sebastian Telfair - $19 mil
    Shannon Brown - $17 mil
    Melvin Eli - $13 mil
    Terrence Williams - $7 mil
    Jamario Moon - $7 mil
    Tony Wroten - $6 mil

Yeah, ain't shedding a single tear for any of these lawbreakers.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Darius Miles - $62 mil
    Darius Miles was definitely the ringleader. He has heist experience from high school!

I've seen some articles make reference to these players as journeymen, not NBA stars. Well, here are the career earnings (from NBA contracts, not counting any overseas contracts) for the indicted players:

Darius Miles - $62 mil
    Tony Allen - $41 mil
    Glen Davis - $34 mil
    Shannon Brown - $17 mil
    Melvin Eli - $13 mil
    Jamario Moon - $7 mil
    Tony Wroten - $6 mil

That is a useful perspective. What $^%^&-heads.

Darius Miles was definitely the ringleader. He has heist experience from high school!
    I have not actually seen the movie, but wow, the full Matrix recreation really dates it.

Also, for the record, Terrence Williams is accused of spearheading the whole scheme.

Former Louisville player and others arrested for fraud

Tony Allen, Darius Miles among ex-NBA players indicted for defrauding league health care plan

More than a dozen retired NBA players have been indicted for defrauding a league health care plan, according to federal court records unsealed Thursday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...?ocid=msedgntp

Darius Miles - $62 mil
    Tony Allen - $41 mil
    Glen Davis - $34 mil
    Shannon Brown - $17 mil
    Melvin Eli - $13 mil
    Jamario Moon - $7 mil
    Tony Wroten - $6 mil

Hey, $62 million doesn’t go as far as it used to when we were kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

I haven't seen any of our guys on the list of suspects, which is nice.

@GaryParrishCBS
    I think my favorite SDNY/NBA story belongs to Greg Smith. He submitted a $48,000 claim for dental work done in Beverly Hills on 12/20/18. The only problem is that he was actually in Taiwan playing basketball that week. Investigators just pulled the box scores. Hahaha.
    Greg Smith's is even more ridiculous when you add the fact it was for root canals and crowns for eight (!!!) teeth. You don't even need the fact he was balling in Taiwan to set off the fraud alarm bells on that one.

Darius Miles - $62 mil
    Tony Allen - $41 mil
    Glen Davis - $34 mil
    Shannon Brown - $17 mil
    Melvin Eli - $13 mil
    Jamario Moon - $7 mil
    Tony Wroten - $6 mil

To add to your post, this ESPN article says the 18 players involved in the fraud made a combined $343 million in their NBA careers. Like your numbers, that does not include any earnings for playing overseas or from endorsements or any other income.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    I have not actually seen the movie, but wow, the full Matrix recreation really dates it.
    I saw it as more of a really early Black Widow audition.

In my opinion, The Perfect Score and The Nanny Diaries are the first MCU/Avengers movies.

Remember Mar 23, 2006. Big Baby and LSU vs. JJ's Blue Devils in the Georgia Dome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Remember Mar 23, 2006. Big Baby and LSU vs. JJ's Blue Devils in the Georgia Dome.
    I’m so glad you reminded all of us of that horrific nightmare. 🙄

It was quite possibly the most frustrating basketball game I’ve ever watched.

I’m so glad you reminded all of us of that horrific nightmare. 🙄

It was quite possibly the most frustrating basketball game I’ve ever watched.
    It was frustrating watching that game on Duke's campus, but not as bad as Uconn '04....