Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVR thoughts

DVR thoughts

I seem to remember a couple of years ago, when TiVo had the market cornered, that the future held some changes for the market.

For example, advertisers were concerned that live TV would be a thing of the past in most homes (like mine). Most people obviously skip through the commercials to watch the show that is recorded. I seem to remember talk of advertisers combating this with something like a banner advertisement that could only be seen while in FF mode. I guess it would be like the old subliminal messages from years ago in movies for popcorn and a Coke. That way a 30 second Coke commercial would play as normal in play mode, but in fast forward it would simply say "Drink Coke" on the screen for the 3 or 4 seconds it takes to scan through.

I have not seen this yet, but it did seem like some groups were fighting this for some reason or another. Just curious.

Anyway, the other question would be when are they going to get smart enough to have a record feature during commercials? A year or so ago, TiVo added a feature on it's system, where on very few commercials for a particular show you were prompted to push the "thumbs up" button during the commercial and it would automatically record the show that was being advertised.

It would seem that the cable DVR's could do this easier since they have their own guides. I was just thinking it would be really cool if you were watching live TV and saw a commercial for say "The Unit" you could hit a button and it would record the show advertised.

Anyone have any new news on any of this?

Wow - that would be a cool feature if it is available - to be able to see a commercial for a show and just hit the button instead of having to search for it through the program guide. We use the HD-DVR from Time Warner, and I absolutely love it. Rarely do we watch anything live anymore due the time that we feel that we save by fast forwarding through the commercials. We don't actually save time, because we end up watching far more shows than we ever did before, but that is due to my own lack of restraint.

On DISH they have a feature where you can order a channel during the commercial for it, so it doesn't seem like a huge stretch to implement that for DVR as well.

I agree that DVR has completely changed television. I have a job and two kids - I cannot always be at the TV at a predetermined time (even - gasp - for some Duke b-ball games). Being able to watch at my convenience, pause and rewind live TV - it's a godsend.

We're a TiVo household, but we just bought a new HD set and now have to debate whether to move to the cable company's DVR, shell out more change for the HD TiVo, or limit our HD watching to live TV and keep watching recorded stuff in standard def. None of these seem too appetizing because we love our TiVos. We may have only used the thumbs-up to record feature once or twice, but there are plenty of other features that haven't been incorporated by the cable company yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBen02 View Post
    We're a TiVo household, but we just bought a new HD set and now have to debate whether to move to the cable company's DVR, shell out more change for the HD TiVo, or limit our HD watching to live TV and keep watching recorded stuff in standard def. None of these seem too appetizing because we love our TiVos. We may have only used the thumbs-up to record feature once or twice, but there are plenty of other features that haven't been incorporated by the cable company yet.
    I highly recommend the Tivo HD route -- I bought my parents that box for Christmas, and they love it. I love my Tivo Series 3, but the Tivo HD is a more economical choice for a similar feature set.

I'm shocked our volleyball team is popular enough to merit its own Web site.

need HD/DVR advice

I was going to start a thread on this, but maybe it fits well enough here.

I currently have analog DirecTV, with two receivers, and record shows on a VCR when I want to time-shift or save them. Very 20th-century setup.

I also have a Samsung HD-ready TV in one of my two DirecTV locations.

I want to keep DirecTV and upgrade to HD. Questions:

• Will I need two new receivers or just one (since the other TV isn't HD)?
    • Can I get a receiver with built-in DVR that lets me record to disk as well as to the hard drive? Looking at DirecTV's site, it looks like I can get a to-disk feature only with a non-HD box. I don't care that the recordings be in HD, necessarily, but I do sometimes want to save a game or movie for posterity, and not just on the hard drive. What's the solution?
    • Do the DVRs work like VCRs (please please no) so that I have to go through a whole programming menu, or is it easier? I know it is easier with TiVo but that doesn't seem to be an option anymore with DirecTV.

I'm paralyzed until I figure this out. Advice much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    • Do the DVRs work like VCRs (please please no) so that I have to go through a whole programming menu, or is it easier? I know it is easier with TiVo but that doesn't seem to be an option anymore with DirecTV.

You only need one new receiver. I find DVR easier than programming a VCR. You can just click on a show in the TV Guide to set up a timer and record a show once, record all new episodes, record all episodes, etc. Plus it automatically tapes an hour past the allotted time for sporting events, to guard against overtime etc.

I was going to start a thread on this, but maybe it fits well enough here.

I currently have analog DirecTV, with two receivers, and record shows on a VCR when I want to time-shift or save them. Very 20th-century setup.

I also have a Samsung HD-ready TV in one of my two DirecTV locations.

I want to keep DirecTV and upgrade to HD. Questions:

• Can I get a receiver with built-in DVR that lets me record to disk as well as to the hard drive? Looking at DirecTV's site, it looks like I can get a to-disk feature only with a non-HD box. I don't care that the recordings be in HD, necessarily, but I do sometimes want to save a game or movie for posterity, and not just on the hard drive. What's the solution?

I made a similar switch about 2 months ago (well, from a Tivo DirecTV box to an HD DVR box from DirecTV). To answer your questions:

You only need to get one new box (the HD one. I'd recommend making it an HD DVR box). As you're not used to using a Tivo box, you'll think that it's a great step forward from a VCR. I found it a slightly frustrating step back from Tivo. When you call to switch to HD (you'll also need a new satellite) make sure to bargain with them. I ended up getting the first year of HD free, the HD DVR for $100 (but with another $10/month credit for a year) and 6 months of free HBO and Showtime. It's possible you might be able to do a little better, although I was happy enough with my final deal. I only got that deal through their cancellation department.

I don't think that any of the boxes currently let you save to a hard drive, although I believe that you can save to external HDs with the proper modifications (possibly even minor).

The programming/recording options are easier, with search options etc as well as the ability to tell it to record every episode of a particular show etc. Once again, as long as you haven't used Tivo, the DirecTV interface seems great.

Let me know if you have any questions, I highly recommend making the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    I highly recommend the Tivo HD route -- I bought my parents that box for Christmas, and they love it. I love my Tivo Series 3, but the Tivo HD is a more economical choice for a similar feature set.
    Another huge Tivo HD fan here. We just upgraded from a Tivo Series 2 a couple of months ago, and love it. One nice thing is that by using a Cablecard, which is what you have to use with the Tivo HD, we don't have to use the cable company's box anymore. Comcast screwed up the install of the Cablecard on the first attempt, but everything has been fine since their second visit.

One other thing about fast-forwarding through commercials: you may have to do that on a cable company's DVR, but I never do that on my Tivo because I've programmed my remote with a 30-second skip feature. This website tells you how to do it:
    http://bigmarv.net/how/tivo30secondskip.html

That feature, combined with the button that rewinds by 8 seconds, makes me get through shows so much faster. For example, I will NEVER watch Lost again if it's not on my Tivo, it's so much better to get through 3 minutes of commercials in 10 seconds.

We have to pay more per month for Tivo HD as compared to the cable company's DVR, but the increased features and ease of use of the Tivo software makes it worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by arydolphin View Post
    Another huge Tivo HD fan here. We just upgraded from a Tivo Series 2 a couple of months ago, and love it. One nice thing is that by using a Cablecard, which is what you have to use with the Tivo HD, we don't have to use the cable company's box anymore. Comcast screwed up the install of the Cablecard on the first attempt, but everything has been fine since their second visit.

One other thing about fast-forwarding through commercials: you may have to do that on a cable company's DVR, but I never do that on my Tivo because I've programmed my remote with a 30-second skip feature. This website tells you how to do it:
    http://bigmarv.net/how/tivo30secondskip.html

That feature, combined with the button that rewinds by 8 seconds, makes me get through shows so much faster. For example, I will NEVER watch Lost again if it's not on my Tivo, it's so much better to get through 3 minutes of commercials in 10 seconds.

We have to pay more per month for Tivo HD as compared to the cable company's DVR, but the increased features and ease of use of the Tivo software makes it worth it.
    The remote for my Comcast/Motorola DVR can be programmed in the same way. I now use a Logitech Harmony remote for the entire system. It automatically does this because the DVR allows it.

Thanks for the helpful advice. It sounds like there's no way to record a show (say, Duke winning the NC) to a DVD, though, if I have HD. Is that everyone's experience?

I guess I could still use my VCR, or maybe get a non-HD DVR for the other set . . .

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    I made a similar switch about 2 months ago (well, from a Tivo DirecTV box to an HD DVR box from DirecTV). To answer your questions:

You only need to get one new box (the HD one. I'd recommend making it an HD DVR box). As you're not used to using a Tivo box, you'll think that it's a great step forward from a VCR. I found it a slightly frustrating step back from Tivo. When you call to switch to HD (you'll also need a new satellite) make sure to bargain with them. I ended up getting the first year of HD free, the HD DVR for $100 (but with another $10/month credit for a year) and 6 months of free HBO and Showtime. It's possible you might be able to do a little better, although I was happy enough with my final deal. I only got that deal through their cancellation department.

I don't think that any of the boxes currently let you save to a hard drive, although I believe that you can save to external HDs with the proper modifications (possibly even minor).

The programming/recording options are easier, with search options etc as well as the ability to tell it to record every episode of a particular show etc. Once again, as long as you haven't used Tivo, the DirecTV interface seems great.

Let me know if you have any questions, I highly recommend making the switch.
    Important bargain tip to DirectTV users-- Verizon and DirecTV have some sort of corporate alliance where if you have their phone/long distance and DirectTV, you get an additional 15 bucks off a month. All you need is to give Verizon the account number of your DirecTV account.

I'm still waiting for my DirecTV install, so when the billing arrives I may have more specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Important bargain tip to DirectTV users-- Verizon and DirecTV have some sort of corporate alliance where if you have their phone/long distance and DirectTV, you get an additional 15 bucks off a month. All you need is to give Verizon the account number of your DirecTV account.

I'm still waiting for my DirecTV install, so when the billing arrives I may have more specifics.
    Do you have some link to this? Is it regional? I haven't heard anything about it and I have both Verizon for phone (although not LD) and DirecTV.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    Do you have some link to this? Is it regional? I haven't heard anything about it and I have both Verizon for phone (although not LD) and DirecTV.
    I found this online:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/38005

Here's Verizon's press release

http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-...-to-offer.html

It seems that the specific offers vary by location. I talked to my wife about what the rep said, here's what my wife recalls hearing-- fifteen dollars off, complimentary upgrade to Verizon's upper end DSL (still slower than TW/Roadrunner), because they will "bundle" our services.

We have both Verizon DSL and Verizon landline service, so she's not entirely sure if our discount is based on one or the other.

I think they're pushing this right now, because we called Verizon to move to their long distance, and, unsolicited, the rep asked us if we had DTV.

I tend to believe this stuff only when I get the bill, so I won't be sure that what we heard is what they meant until then.

My advice is to call your Verizon rep and ask them what applies in your area. (My area is Durham.)

Would love to hear how it goes.

Anyone know if Time Warner will negotiate with you and if so how much? I ask because I don't use their phone service and would be willing to add it if I could get a discount. I do use their cable (including the HD DVR) and Roadrunner. A friend of mine told me he has phone, cable, RR with pay cable channels that I don't have and pays not much more than I'm paying for Cable and RR.

As for my DVR, I use it every day and watch alot of TV on it. I watch most Duke games on the DVR. In fact my best friend in SC and I will get on the phone sync my DVR to his Tivo and watch the game together!

Quote Originally Posted by 365Duke View Post
    For example, advertisers were concerned that live TV would be a thing of the past in most homes (like mine). Most people obviously skip through the commercials to watch the show that is recorded. I seem to remember talk of advertisers combating this with something like a banner advertisement that could only be seen while in FF mode. I guess it would be like the old subliminal messages from years ago in movies for popcorn and a Coke. That way a 30 second Coke commercial would play as normal in play mode, but in fast forward it would simply say "Drink Coke" on the screen for the 3 or 4 seconds it takes to scan through.
    Industry research found that the fast forwarding through commercials, while still not good for the advertisers, was still not nearly as bad as it was thought to be. Most people still tune in for the live broadcast.

Thanks for the helpful advice. It sounds like there's no way to record a show (say, Duke winning the NC) to a DVD, though, if I have HD. Is that everyone's experience?

I guess I could still use my VCR, or maybe get a non-HD DVR for the other set . . .
    You can buy a PC with a DVD burner, a tuner card and BeyondTV and you will be able to burn to DVD. It's a little work, and a little more money, but you only have to pay once, not a monthly fee like cable DVr or Tivo.

we have a tivo-like DVR from replaytv which we love. it's the one that skips commercials automatically during playback -- and we have been spoiled. it is not, however, HD and we just upgraded our TV (now HD) and signed up for a 6 month HD deal from time warner. we now pay less that we used to for "standard" cable and have a cable box that includes a HD DVR. from a usability standpoint the DVR sucks though i love getting/recording games in HD.

i'm not sure what we will do when the 6 month deal expires. we may go the route many did/do with long distance carriers and jump to whoever has the best 6-12 month deal going.
    the tivo/cablecard option is appealing. i have also heard that directv & tivo may rekindle their relationship which would make satellite with a receiver/tivo combo our preference. anyone know anything about the future of directv & tivo?

Quote Originally Posted by 365Duke View Post
    I was just thinking it would be really cool if you were watching live TV and saw a commercial for say "The Unit" you could hit a button and it would record the show advertised.
    My Tivo does this... the broadcaster has to do a little work to set it up... but when they do, a message pops up in the corner during the commercial that instructs me to press the thumbs up button (TIVO) to record the program.