Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Jack OK?

Statistical Analysis of the Cause of the Allegedly Errant Pass

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Oh god... I can already see this going into Zapruder film level hyper-analysis quickly...
    Our company has examined this sequence from every perspective, with exquisite precision [to .01 degree slant variants]. Not discernible, of course, to the naked eye, our proprietary Hologram Horizon AI software shows that there was actually more than one passer. This explains why Wendell Moore missed the pass[es], as it/they was/were coming at him in more than one direction. Our HH software can also detect which of the two detected passes [theoretically, there may have been more than two] were viewed by Moore as the dominant object. Unfortunately, Moore was using the incorrect algorithm [this is a common mistake among Freshmen who have not mastered non-linear functions]. Moore, understandably enough, was using (0, 3) and (7, 17): Slope: (17 - 3) / (7 - 0) = 14 / 7 = 2 whereas (-1, 1), \ (7, 17): Slope: (17 - 1) / (7 - (-1)) = 16 / 8 = 2 was the correct function, and which would have resulted in a successful connection. As sophisticated as our software is, we cannot identify with certainty the source of the heretofore undetected 2nd pass. We have recently introduced an audio feature, but which, we acknowledge, is not fully reliable. As such, we were only able to render an indecipherable morpheme rendered as "Dadgummit!" We acknowledge that this raises as many questions as answers, and we are continuing to investigate. We do hope that this clears up the confusion.
    Last edited by hustleplays; 02-27-2020 at 12:25 AM.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    Sure. The debate should be solved by next Sunday. 😂😂😂😂
    wsb, us Baptist need to attend church on Wednesday nights and on Sunday. I've got a lot a splaining to do.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    I remember me thinking it was Jack’s fault as well. I haven’t gone back to look but I thought he fired it at him too hard for the distance apart they were.
    And the key component is this, in context of White being yanked....did K think it was Jack's fault? K might have in live action, even if K might rethink it upon seeing the tape.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    And the key component is this, in context of White being yanked...did K think it was Jack's fault? K might have in live action, even if K might rethink it upon seeing the tape.
    My thought as well. If I had to guess that pass definitely played a part in Jack exiting the game. And yes, Coach might rethink it if/when he sees it on review. And then again, he might have the same thought he did watching it live. Regardless. I hope Jack can get more burn going forward. I think we will need our senior captain down the stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    As sophisticated as our software is, we can not identify with certainty the source of the heretofore undetected 2nd pass.
    As someone who deals with double vision, I often have trouble discerning the source of the second ball thrown at me by my grandson😂.
    Last edited by -jk; 02-27-2020 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

And the key component is this, in context of White being yanked...did K think it was Jack's fault? K might have in live action, even if K might rethink it upon seeing the tape.
    A good question. One other thing to think about is how is Jack practicing? We know Coach puts a lot of emphasis on how a player is performing in practice. But I don't see how Jack could be practicing any worse than a player that I will not name.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Our company has examined this sequence from every perspective, with exquisite precision [to .01 degree slant variants]. Not discernible, of course, to the naked eye, our proprietary Hologram Horizon AI software shows that there was actually more than one passer. This explains why Wendell Moore missed the pass[es], as it/they was/were coming at him in more than one direction. Our HH software can also detect which of the two detected passes [theoretically, there may have been more than two] were viewed by Moore as the dominant object. Unfortunately, Moore was using the incorrect algorithm [this is a common mistake among Freshmen who have not mastered non-linear functions]. Moore, understandably enough, was using (0, 3) and (7, 17): Slope: (17 - 3) / (7 - 0) = 14 / 7 = 2 whereas (-1, 1), \ (7, 17): Slope: (17 - 1) / (7 - (-1)) = 16 / 8 = 2 was the correct function, and which would have resulted in a successful connection. As sophisticated as our software is, we cannot identify with certainty the source of the heretofore undetected 2nd pass. We have recently introduced an audio feature, but which, we acknowledge, is not fully reliable. As such, we were only able to render an indecipherable morpheme rendered as "Dadgummit!" We acknowledge that this raises as many questions as answers, and we are continuing to investigate. We do hope that this clears up the confusion.
    This explains a lot. My double vision gets the best of me.

I do not speculate on this board, but if I were to speculate, hypothetically, if Jack’s thumb limited his effectiveness, playing him for a minute might force opponents to continue to game plan for him. But I won’t speculate.

As to those of you seeking the truth ... can you handle the truth?

Just my thoughts, but I think it may be the way we are trying to run our offense now. With Jack in the game, he is not really a threat to put the ball on the floor and beat his man off the dribble.

In the video you guys were showing in the post above, Duke is running 5 out like we did against Carolina relying on someone to get to the basket. However, I believe there are better options other than Jack in this type of offense.

I like Jack but I do believe he is limited on the offensive side of the ball. But what we do know Coach K is best a being able to play to Duke strengths and I'm sure there are going to be games where Jack will get his minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    They had a press conference after the game. All it would have taken is for just one reporter to ask "You lost all your big defenders, why didn't you bring in Jack?"
    I've often wondered this as well about the beat pool that covers the team. The obvious questions are not posed. Instead the usual preface to questions remains "How important is it? followed by some of the dumbest rejoinders (eg How important is it that Duke didn't turn the ball over at that point). Makes me wonder if they're there for the pregame spread.

Quote Originally Posted by DBGoins View Post
    Just my thoughts, but I think it may be the way we are trying to run our offense now. With Jack in the game, he is not really a threat to put the ball on the floor and beat his man off the dribble.

In the video you guys were showing in the post above, Duke is running 5 out like we did against Carolina relying on someone to get to the basket. However, I believe there are better options other than Jack in this type of offense.

I like Jack but I do believe he is limited on the offensive side of the ball. But what we do know Coach K is best a being able to play to Duke strengths and I'm sure there are going to be games where Jack will get his minutes.
    We're running offense??

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    To be fair, I have some personal experience when it comes to asking Coach K questions about playing time. It did not end well for me.

So I get why the beat writers may not be inclined to ask a question that they know will likely bring the wrath of K. But all we need is one brave soul to do so...
    I asked Coach K an innocent question about playing time after a home game in his third year of coaching, in a sparsely populated locker room, before he was “COACH K” in bright lights. He gave me one of the worst death stares I’ve ever received in my life and didn’t answer the question.

I echo everyone here who thinks any question about Jack after that Wake game would have been visually and verbally subjected to the guillotine.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    A good question. One other thing to think about is how is Jack practicing? We know Coach puts a lot of emphasis on how a player is performing in practice. But I don't see how Jack could be practicing any worse than a player that I will not name.

GoDuke!
    Hah, I feel ya bros. And practice...I mean, for all we know K told Jack recently to watch hard passing close in, or to not throw a tough pass to, say, Javin or Wendell...or any number of things that we'd never ever know about could be going on in practice that impacted how K saw that pass. I know that I've seen it as a player, and used it as a coach...quick pulling a player who violates something we just covered recently in practice.

All I know is, I so so hope Jack gets some special moments before the season is over...maybe a follow up winner like Wendell had or something like that, in a big game. Maybe a big time 3, if he ever gets that confidence back.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Isn't this contradictory to "next play"?
    Next play does not mean enforced amnesia. It means learning the lesson at hand and not ruminating endlessly. Once the lesson is learned, if it is, it is then applied.
    YMMV, but that's what works for me.

Hah, I feel ya bros. And practice...I mean, for all we know K told Jack recently to watch hard passing close in, or to not throw a tough pass to, say, Javin or Wendell...or any number of things that we'd never ever know about could be going on in practice that impacted how K saw that pass. I know that I've seen it as a player, and used it as a coach...quick pulling a player who violates something we just covered recently in practice.

All I know is, I so so hope Jack gets some special moments before the season is over...maybe a follow up winner like Wendell had or something like that, in a big game. Maybe a big time 3, if he ever gets that confidence back.
    I have taught many former and current Duke basketball players, and Jack White is truly one of the finest human beings I've ever met. He is steady and hard working; he is flexible and takes criticism well; he loves this team and would do anything he needed to for us to win. As many of you have noted, Jack started the season as a second year captain, seemed to get a lot of playing time, was a fierce rebounder and had finally gotten his three-ball falling. But then look at his roster page: https://goduke.com/sports/mens-baske...ck-white/11781. Compare the accomplishments from last year (and I don't mean the end of the year awards) with what is up about him this year. Whoever writes these things could find only 3 games this season to comment on, with the last one being the first Wake game. Something is fishy here.

Jack admires Coach K and the assistants a great deal. I honestly cannot imagine that he could do anything that would chain him to the doghouse as he seems to be now. Here are 3 of his recent performances:

2/19 against State: 4 minutes, 1 block, 1 personal foul, 0 points
    2/22 against VTech: 3 minutes, 1 personal foul, 2 points (note: he shot 100% that night 1 for 1!)
    2/25 against Wake: 1 minute, all else 0

That doesn't scream "Put me in, Coach, I can do it!" But why it is happening? Only Jack and K likely know. I can't help but feel we could have had a surge of energy in either the first or second overtime had Jack played.

Go Devils!
    DukeDevilDeb

Quote Originally Posted by DBGoins View Post

Soooo.....you don’t think Jack is going to make All-ACC third team as I had last season hypothesized as a very real possibility for his senior year?

Quote Originally Posted by Adaephon View Post
    We're running offense??
    Perhaps you missed the 101 points our guys scored? Now, about the defense we're running...

Jack would be fine if Rose has moved over and just made a little room.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Perhaps you missed the 101 points our guys scored? Now, about the defense we're running...
    Scoring points and running offense are very different things. Also, it was a double OT game. Our adjusted ORating was pretty mediocre for the game. My main point is that we often devolve into Tre or Vernon against the world and don't really run as much offense as I would like to see. After watching Baylor and Kansas, I really worry about our ability to score against those teams (obviously a good problem to have if we are facing one of them in the tournament since that means we advanced quite far) if we rely too much on those two to create everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Adaephon View Post
    Scoring points and running offense are very different things. Also, it was a double OT game. Our adjusted ORating was pretty mediocre for the game. My main point is that we often devolve into Tre or Vernon against the world and don't really run as much offense as I would like to see. After watching Baylor and Kansas, I really worry about our ability to score against those teams (obviously a good problem to have if we are facing one of them in the tournament since that means we advanced quite far) if we rely too much on those two to create everything.
    We seemed to score pretty well on Kansas when we played them. How many years ago was that? Oh, wait, I remember now, it was this. freaking. season!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    We seemed to score pretty well on Kansas when we played them. How many years ago was that? Oh, wait, I remember now, it was this. freaking. season!
    Do you think both teams are playing at a level similar to that in November?