Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

The Mandalorian (and a discussion of Disney+)

I consider myself a pretty big Star Wars fan, but I honestly haven't been thinking much about Episode IX or other SW media lately. That said, yesterday I watched the trailer for an upcoming live-action series set to premier in November on the new Disney+ streaming service. It's called The Mandalorian, follows a Mandalorian bounty hunter, seems to have a good cast, and looks dope as hell.

I expect this thread will sit around quietly until November, but this trailer alone has made me start to seriously consider subscribing to Disney's service.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    I consider myself a pretty big Star Wars fan, but I honestly haven't been thinking much about Episode IX or other SW media lately. That said, yesterday I watched the trailer for an upcoming live-action series set to premier in November on the new Disney+ streaming service. It's called The Mandalorian, follows a Mandalorian bounty hunter, seems to have a good cast, and looks dope as hell.

I expect this thread will sit around quietly until November, but this trailer alone has made me start to seriously consider subscribing to Disney's service.
    That along with Disney's other SW projects, such as the (final!) ending of Clone Wars makes the service tempting. But, I imagine that those shows are the only ones I'd be watching, so I might opt instead to wear an eye patch.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I'm all in, head first. Take my money.

I just gave them my money...

3 year subscription for $140.97+tax via D23.com.

Quote Originally Posted by LegoBatman View Post

If they promise a gruesome, graphic end to Jar-Jar, I'm all in!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    If they promise a gruesome, graphic end to Jar-Jar, I'm all in!
    The movies he was in don’t count?

Quote Originally Posted by LegoBatman View Post

There are Netflix executives curled up in a ball on the floor quietly weeping at the price for Disney+

Oh, and Disney is going to fill its streaming service with high quality, expensive Star Wars, Marvel, and Disney family/Pixar content... you know, the same general stuff that has pretty much owned the movie boxoffice for the past few years.

Bob Iger is coming for all the entertainment money... all of it.

-Jason "I'm going to be sending them my $140 in the next couple days... I will be getting 3 years worth of great content for about the cost of a month of cable" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    There are Netflix executives curled up in a ball on the floor quietly weeping at the price for Disney+

Oh, and Disney is going to fill its streaming service with high quality, expensive Star Wars, Marvel, and Disney family/Pixar content... you know, the same general stuff that has pretty much owned the movie boxoffice for the past few years.

Bob Iger is coming for all the entertainment money... all of it.

-Jason "I'm going to be sending them my $140 in the next couple days... I will be getting 3 years worth of great content for about the cost of a month of cable" Evans
    For what it’s worth, Disney will be offering a bundle of Disney+, Hulu (with ads), and ESPN+ for $12.99/month. If you are inclined to use all three services, the monthly cost of the bundle will be cheaper than signing up for all three separately, even with the discounted Disney+ pre-offer.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Disney+ will not work with Fire TVs... this is a major problem for me. I could use a dongle to connect a computer to my TV but this is a hassle I do not need. I am trying to decide if I am going to punish Disney by not buying their service or punish Amazon by going to Roku. I mean, my Fire stick cost like $30 so it is not like I made some major, lifetime commitment to being a Fire user.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Disney+ will not work with Fire TVs... this is a major problem for me. I could use a dongle to connect a computer to my TV but this is a hassle I do not need. I am trying to decide if I am going to punish Disney by not buying their service or punish Amazon by going to Roku. I mean, my Fire stick cost like $30 so it is not like I made some major, lifetime commitment to being a Fire user.
    That's frustrating. I recently bought a Fire stick. I tend to keep a laptop plugged into my TV anyway, so I'll have that option, but I have a feeling I can figure out a way to use Disney+ with Fire. I'll keep y'all apprised.

I've been rocking the Google Chromecast dongle for about 8 years. Love it.

Nowadays I've upgraded to a Smart TV with built in Chromecast. Anything my TV doesn't have an app for (mostly just HBO and ESPN) I can stream from tablet or phone.

Competition with the Amazon streaming service? That seems like a bad move for both parties, and part of the reason I am very much not in favor of the proliferation of content-owner specific streaming services.

...I could use a dongle to connect a computer to my TV...
    Come on Evans, this is a family site.
    I'm a Disney fanatic, and I too will be waiting for the $12.99 Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle. That's a hell of a bargain in my eyes, and will likely enable me to strip away some other streaming subscriptions. I'm looking at somewhere between $30 and $40(!) in monthly savings.
    Thanks, Mickey!

Seems as though the consumer can never catch a break. It's always one step forward, two steps back. I guess it was only a matter of time before we caught it in the shorts for cord cutting. They'll always find a way to part us from our money.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Seems as though the consumer can never catch a break. It's always one step forward, two steps back. I guess it was only a matter of time before we caught it in the shorts for cord cutting. They'll always find a way to part us from our money.
    Who was that guy who spoke about actions and opposite reactions?

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    It sucks. My internet price has gone from $49 to $79 in a matter of 3 years and it only includes 1024 GB. Once my kids get a little older, I’ll easily need the unlimited plan which brings my internet to $129. So cox has basically said, ok cut the dang cord but watch your internet prices skyrocket. This is all in addition to the fragmented streaming market. Netflix, Hulu, prime, Disney+, Apple TV+, etc..

The positives for me being:
    1) most services are no commercials (will Disney+ be?)
    2) content is just so good nowadays
    3) no contracts

Wait... is it not Boba Fett?

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Wait... is it not Boba Fett?
    It is not. Boba Fett is not even really a Mandalorian.

It is not. Boba Fett is not even really a Mandalorian.
    I guess but he IS a clone of a Mandalorian. If you clone a white guy, he is still Caucasian. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I guess but he IS a clone of a Mandalorian. If you clone a white guy, he is still Caucasian. Right?
    He was also raised as a son by a Mandalorian, so it seems to me he is both culturally and genetically Mandalorian.