Page 1050 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 50550950100010401048104910501051105210601100115015502050 ... LastLast
Results 20,981 to 21,000 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Many thanks and cheers to RJ199 for his suggestion for today's pub tastings and for being a wonderful host!!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

DNP-CD today:

Gonzo Gose
    Never Never Found Found
    Hurricane Gose
    South Fork Grapefruit Gose (canned version purchased by our daughter and her husband in Boone because we all liked the draft at the brewery)

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    DNP-CD today:

Gonzo Gose
    Never Never Found Found
    Hurricane Gose
    South Fork Grapefruit Gose (canned version purchased by our daughter and her husband in Boone because we all liked the draft at the brewery)

Gonzo is pretty good if I recall correctly.

Many thanks and cheers to RJ199 for his suggestion for today's pub tastings and for being a wonderful host!!
    Thanks to all. Super fun! The baton is passed to Tripping William for September

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Thanks to all. Super fun! The baton is passed to Tripping William for September
    Yep, great fun. Happy to host the next one, although following RJ199 is about like succeeding K. (BTW: Is there a DBR thread discussing that topic somewhere? )

Nothing says “Oktoberfest” quite like September. My best Saturdays are the 21st or 28th.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Resuming the Lagunitas flight and pint reviews:

Phase Change (draft)-Lagunitas (Heineken) Brewing Company

"Wet hop in spring? A hazy beer? Belive (sic) your eyes"

Another 5 ounce sample that was mostly mine as our younger daughter doesn't like IPAs much and her husband was still sipping his pint. This was slightly hazy and light bronze-colored with a small head. What a a nose full of fresh grapefruit, pineapple, oil and zest, followed by rind and other citrus and tropical flavors that also included peach, tangerine, melon with a mildly oily/viscous mouthfeel from the wet hopping-varieties undisclosed. I'll guess IBUs around 70 with the ABV at 7.2%. Nice pairing with the remaining nachos. I smuggled a 12 ounce bottle of this back in a running shoe and it'll be sipped later this week. Tied for my favorite in-house brew of the night. Not quite a Cat 3 but well above the integer 2 with a decimal point .
    It's not gose day any more .

Phase Change-Lagunitas (Heineken) Brewing Company

From Friday PM. This was almost as good as the draft at the brewery from last weekend.

Here's their write-up:

"Phase Change is one juicy game changer... it's an unfiltered, wet-hop ale packed full of lupulin-drenched Simcoe, Citra & Mosaic hops. But wait... wet hops in Spring? Indeed! The brewers of Lagunitas have discovered a way to keep wet hops fresh, in any season. Science!"

Simcoe, Citra and Mosaic hops? Yes, please!

I estimated fairly well as they quote 60 for IBUs with the ABV at 7.4% on the bottled version .

Definitely worth a single purchase and, if your beer fridge needs some IPAs replaced, buy the entire 6er!

Molasses Porter (draft)-Booneshine Brewing Company

Half pint sipped with and after a burger, fries and shared lettuce wedge salad for dinner.

Medium to dark brown pour with a skinny tan head. Chocolate-y and coffee-ish aromas with neither added. Smooth mouthfeel with tastes matching the scents with the dark brown, sugary-sweet molasses coating the palate for the finale. Mild burnt grainy/malty bitterness with 38 IBUs, accompanied by the ABV of 6.7%. Fuse Cat 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Yep, great fun. Happy to host the next one, although following RJ199 is about like succeeding K. (BTW: Is there a DBR thread discussing that topic somewhere? )

Nothing says “Oktoberfest” quite like September. My best Saturdays are the 21st or 28th.
    Thanks for accepting the beer baton!

I'm good with the 21st or 28th along with re-visiting some Oktoberfests as I haven't had one in several (many?) years. We'll be in Columbus, OH from 9/20 to 9/22 and back in the Old North State the last weekend of the month.

Final Booneshine brew of the day yesterday:

Ivory Tower White IPA (draft)-Booneshine Brewing Company collaboration with Ivory Tower Brewing to support the AppState Fermentation Sciences ("cheers to higher education")

Full pint special at $3 outdoors to celebrate their official grand opening while listening to a band and playing a very "shortened" and unofficial version () of corn hole with our 3.5 year old granddaughter. I shared this with our older daughter who doesn't like IPAs much but rather enjoyed this one, likely based on recipe of a "light pilsen malt and a heavy addition of white wheat. Ekuanot and Citra hops add notes of citrus and lush tropical fruit."

What'd I experience? A hazy, pale yellow liquid bursting with nose-tickling pineapple, grapefruit, orange, peach and melon through a billowy, creamy foam. Equally juicy on the palate, too. Modest rind-y bite with IBUs probably 40-50 and the ABV at 6%. Solid fuse Cat 2.

a02bec4e3a2ff4225538ddc9991743ca_640x640.jpg

A 4 pack will be delivered intact to fuse and the Love Ninja sometime before the end of the month .

I'm in for either day and looking forward!

My reviewing partner will be a gametime decision. She has politely declined the screen name beer goddess. She says screen names are for the devout.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Gose Day Ymm, Beer Virtual Pub - 8.17.2019

Sycamore Luau Lemonade gose

Pineapple nose, very light gold in the glass.

Metallic salty finish following an opening of pineapple and mango.
    The can pictures a hibiscus flower and while I don’t taste it directly, I attribute some of the metallic tastes as a bit of floral ��

After tasting this, I think perhaps the Veil Never Never Found Found can may have just been an unfortunate dud.

richardjackson199, thanks for being a gracious host of gose day in the virtual pub!

Cheers all! ��
    I also had the Sycamore Luau Lemonade last night during the UFC PPV main event (with the remaining KK original and Reese's peanut butter filled chocolate doughnuts). The UFC PPV was awesome. The doughnuts were still awesome, and like NE-IPA are best enjoyed fresh. This beer was also awesome. I'm not going to recommend pairing it the way I did. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

But the beer is very light, refreshing, and the tropical pineapple-mango notes are prominent in a great way. Nicely done and balanced. A perfect beer to cool off with on a hot summer day. Great gose with robust adventure of island flavors. Fuse category 2 - enjoyed it and would drink again. But going to gym today and no more doughnuts for a while - too irresistible.

Goses still in the fridge - DNP - CD: Westbrook Gose and D9 Brewing's Pinch of Salt - Salted Caramel Gose
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 08-18-2019 at 12:55 PM.

I also had the Sycamore Luau Lemonade last night during the UFC PPV main event (with the remaining KK original and Reese's peanut butter filled chocolate doughnuts). The UFC PPV was awesome. The doughnuts were still awesome, and like NE-IPA are best enjoyed fresh. This beer was also awesome. I'm not going to recommend pairing it the way I did. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

But the beer is very light, refreshing, and the tropical pineapple-mango notes are prominent in a great way. Nicely done and balanced. A perfect beer to cool off with on a hot summer day. Great gose with robust adventure of island flavors. Fuse category 2 - enjoyed it and would drink again. But going to gym today and no more doughnuts for a while - too irresistible.

Goses still in the fridge - DNP - CD: Westbrook Gose and D9 Brewing's Pinch of Salt - Salted Caramel Gose
    I *almost* put that one in the cart a couple weeks ago prepping for this event but thought I'd buy a buncha singles instead.

I haven’t had Jade IPA on draft for a good long time. Had forgotten how good it can be, especially for a “standard “ IPA. Really tasty.

I haven’t had Jade IPA on draft for a good long time. Had forgotten how good it can be, especially for a “standard “ IPA. Really tasty.
    Packs a punch too. A few of those will set you for an evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Packs a punch too. A few of those will set you for an evening.
    True, at 7.4%, but won’t have you Seeing Double ...

True, at 7.4%, but won’t have you Seeing Double ...
    I was kinda Hoppyum for another gose...

I was kinda Hoppyum for another gose...
    Tripping has the baton and I'm following his lead. I just hope he doesn't trip running his lap after that trip to Foothills.

Speaking of Trippy,

Stable the Fading Light - Newgrass Brewing - NE-DIPA - 8.5 % - "with Mosaic cryo and Idaho 7"

The pour is cool. It looks like an opaque, pulpy, russian tea. It leaves a thin white head for just long enough to smell a beautiful mango aroma with just a hint of pine.

This beer is great, and it's complex. With the taste you really wanna wait for the finish and after-finish, which is outstanding. If you like mosaic, you'll definitely want to try this one. The complex taste has about 4 parts - It starts malt forward, almost a little sweet but not quite, so definitely not too sweet. Then you get citrus - oranges and mangoes quickly transitioning to piney and hoppy, but not too bitter. The best is a beautiful, dry mosaic finish which lingers, but you really have to wait for that. You'll want a second glass of the same beer after the first. The mouthfeel is nice, juicy, with a little light carbonation and boozy bite at first getting more soft as it goes. Overall I'll give it Fuse Category 2 - worth a try. I think this brewery is getting some buzz. And this growler will give me some buzz if I'm not careful. Cheers!

Tripping has the baton and I'm following his lead. I just hope he doesn't trip running his lap after that trip to Foothills.
    Lowe’s Foods Beer Den on Peter’s Creek Parkway, actually. They had four or five Foothills offerings on tap (including February ‘18 Sexual Chocolate). I only grabbed a 32-ounce growler of the Jade, though, for sipping while watching the US Amateur. Great theater!

Haw River Calico Fields

Billed on the can as both a classic pilsner and an ale, so I’m confused. Still pours a bright effervescent gold, and has more body on the palate than your typical pils (probably from the corn they say they use in brewing it). Not a “blow your mind” beer like most from Haw River, but still refreshing on a summer day. Cat 2.