Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Does this win mean Duke will be ranked next week?
    No, we're not allowed to transfer any of our MBB margin of victory to the FB team.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Marques and White are going to get some votes for all-defensive team.

I was gonna wait to see a few more conference games before opining on this but I'm officially "concerned" with our 3 pt shooting.

This team is unbelievable in so many ways but man I just wish they were average (or even slightly below) at the three ball. Just feel that it's gonna cost us against the Virginia's of the world. Also note that Va Tech and Michigan are also in the 300's in tempo...those would all be bad match-ups for us.

Also, how pissed must UNC fans be to hear ESPN talk about the price of Duke tix for this weekend against Florida St. in the middle of their very close game against State?!?. Apparently courtside going for $2500 at the moment....too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Cam was better but his turnovers are just awful. It's like he can't even move and dribble at the same time.

Does he have what's called in golf the yips?
    If that’s the case he should switch to the claw grip. When on the green. For a little while.

On the basketball court I think he’d take a load off his shoulders by focusing more on moving without the ball — going for open shots and mid range jumpers — focus on making better passes. He seems to struggle trying to make a 1 on 1 move from a stand still. When he moved baseline and got that dunk, you could see his athleticism (he almost lost the handle) and his upside is so compelling. After that successful play he seemed to settle in despite a few unnecessary fouls and some tough misses. It’s almost like his head is thinking and moving faster than his body and probably should just slow it down a little and as they say ‘let the game come to him.’

At the same time when Jack comes into the game; it’s been impressive how he picks up the team. Immediately. Those blocks tonight were sick. It was entertaining to keep watching Wake go at him only to be stonewalled twice in one defensive series.

Road game success ,but Wake Forest did not match up with Duke well. Florida State will force this team to grow up and value the ball. 4 TO's for Williamson,Barrett and Reddish. Defensive rebounding was terrible.Florida State will pound the boards.Like to see better anticipation where the ball is going on a missed shot. Rarely did we get the 50 50 balls until the 2nd half.Barrett said “Cam (Reddish) hit a big shot at the end of the half. He’s getting his confidence back and starting to play better, and we need him.”

Reddish still looks shaky on offense. He needs to focus on defense rebounding and the shots will eventually fall. He needs to step up. Too many fouls and turnovers. Fortunately Jack White is a great 6th man. If perimeter shooting ever gets a reasonable %,Duke will truly start rolling. UVA is coming soon. Great defense is necessary and making open shots will be much needed.

killed on the boards in the first half. but who cares if we wear teams down like this game after game.

at least twice tre had an open layoff and laid it off for an assist. Jalen Harris is the only other player in the country close to tre's volume and a/to.

was actually happy with cam overall. his first could shots...my goodness...and his start overall. but when he made that baseline drive for the dunk? That's the kind of thing I saw for him at countdown that I know he can do but has eschewed for some anxious off balance threes. Getting to 10 tonight, getting a few of those good plays...I hope he uses this as a jumping point to get over some of his confidence. He's a really really good player, so long as he doesn't just view himself as the crazy three point shooter on the team. He doesn't NEED t compete with RJ and zion...Keep working at it.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Blockadile Dundee. Am I funny or am I old?
    Can't you be both?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Just feel that it's gonna cost us against the Virginia's of the world. Also note that Va Tech and Michigan are also in the 300's in tempo...those would all be bad match-ups for us.
    It's worth noting that Texas Tech was around 270 in tempo and we played an 81.5 possession game with them. And Clemson was in the 250s and we played a 77+ possession game with them. In other words, when it comes to slow-tempo teams like UVa, VaTech, and Michigan, it may just be that Duke is a bad matchup for them.

ADVANCED STATS

Possessions: 74.45

OFFENSE

oRtg: 1.17 (our adjusted oRtg was 1.15, among our worst offensive performances of the season).
    eFG%: 63.7% (our 2nd best eFG% of the season (after our 65.4% against Stetson))
    3pt%: 30.4% (close to our season average; this may be what we have to settle for this season)
    2pt%: 74.4% (also 2nd best after Stetson game)
    %threes: 37.1% (pretty high for such a poor 3-point shooting team)
    FT rate: 25.8% (lower than we should be)
    OR%: 41.9% (back on track in this category after a couple poor performances)
    TO%: 22.8% (two poor TO performances in our last three games)
    a/to: 1.41:1
    %assisted: 66.7% (the TV announcers were impressed with this)
    fast break pts: 14 fb pts for 16.1% (one of our worst offensive fast break performances of the season)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 0.87 (adjusted that's 0.85, bringing our season adjusted dEff up to #2 in the country)
    eFG%: 36.9% (nice)
    3pt%: 22.2% (ditto)
    2pt%: 38.3% (ditto again)
    %threes: 27.7% (strong)
    FT rate: 43.1% (high, but Wake is one of the best foul-drawing teams in the country)
    DR%: 60.4% (a defensive rebounding clunker after four straight strong performances in this category)
    TO%: 21.4% (eighth straight game over 20%)
    a/to: 0.38:1 (eighth straight game under 0.8:1)
    %assisted: 27.3% (absurdly low, though I'm not sure if the credit for that should go to Duke or Wake)
    fast break pts: 9 fb pts for 13.8% (eighth straight game under 16%)
    block%: 20.0%; 27.7% of 2-point shots (amazingly, this is only our fourth-best block party of the year, percentagewise)
    steal%: 9.4% (only so-so, compared to our season steals performance)

I don't care who it's against, a 20+ point ACC road win? I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Duke does not have great shooters but if they take their time and set their feet- they can be effective. Cam thinks he can hit fall away or moving 3's. Maybe one day. Right now he needs to slow down and shoot with his feet set.
    Cam Reddish is not a particularly good shooter. Period. I don’t know where this idea started that he is a good to very good shooter. He isn’t and wasn’t and perhaps will never be a consistently good and reliable shooter, There are several fundamental flaws in his shooting form that he has yet to address. And he’s been under the tutelage of Duke coaches for, what, six months now? I seriously doubt he’s going be able to make the necessary adjustments in the middle of this season. So...it is what is for Cam during his one year at Duke.

Sometimes guys, no matter how highly-rated in high school, just don’t play especially close to that ranking while in college. Some overperform, some underperform, and some end up being right about where they were purported to be. I think it’s fairly clear at this point where each of Zion Williamson, Tre Jones, RJ Barrett, and Cam Reddish are relative to their high school ranking.

But really, all of that high school stuff should probably be thrown out the window midway through freshman year. It’s not fair to assess these guys in that way. There are simply too many variables to take into account and too many things that may be out of the individual player’s control. Here’s hoping for continued above average-to-good defense from Cam (something that is hugely important to this team’s success), while also hoping that his handle, shooting, and decision-making reach a bit higher level than he has to-date shown. I’m betting he will show improvement in at least one or two of those areas by the time of the first UNC game.

I turn old in june. it was a good run.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    At the same time when Jack comes into the game; it’s been impressive how he picks up the team. Immediately. Those blocks tonight were sick. It was entertaining to keep watching Wake go at him only to be stonewalled twice in one defensive series.
    I think Jack White quite often plays like the third most valuable player on this team, behind only Zion and Tre. In fairness, more often than not he is probably also behind RJ. Regardless, coming into the season who in their right mind would have thought that Jack White was going to be the third or fourth best player on the #1-ranked team in the nation?

This Australian bloke just keeps getting better and better and better as the season goes on. I can’t even imagine how good he is going to be by the time the NCAA tournament starts. If he keeps improving at this rate he actually could make the All-ACC team as a senior. And not only that, but he is fast becoming the ultimate glue guy — does a little of everything and makes those around him better while helping hold it all together. My gosh what a wonderful surprise he has been.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    How many freaking blocks did Jack White have?
    Seems like he wants to get in on the DPOY competition with Tre.
    Best one was the one where is up against a 2 on 1 break and stuffs it.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post

Bolden/White combined for 12 points, 14 boards, 7 blocks off the bench to complement DeLaurier's 8 points, 9 boards, and 3 blocks.
    Good to see all three of these guys making an impact. Most impressive is that Jack White is consistently putting on a show in the first half when the rest of the team is not fully in gear and the game is still in question.

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Road game success ,but Wake Forest did not match up with Duke well. Florida State will force this team to grow up and value the ball. 4 TO's for Williamson,Barrett and Reddish. Defensive rebounding was terrible.Florida State will pound the boards.Like to see better anticipation where the ball is going on a missed shot. Rarely did we get the 50 50 balls until the 2nd half.Barrett said “Cam (Reddish) hit a big shot at the end of the half. He’s getting his confidence back and starting to play better, and we need him.”

Reddish still looks shaky on offense. He needs to focus on defense rebounding and the shots will eventually fall. He needs to step up. Too many fouls and turnovers. Fortunately Jack White is a great 6th man. If perimeter shooting ever gets a reasonable %,Duke will truly start rolling. UVA is coming soon. Great defense is necessary and making open shots will be much needed.
    We shot 30% from 3 for the game and that was with Zion going 3 for 4. Three point shooting may burn us soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    ...On the basketball court I think [Cam should} take a load off his shoulders by focusing more on moving without the ball — going for open shots and mid range jumpers — focus on making better passes... just slow it down a little and as they say ‘let the game come to him.’

At the same time when Jack comes into the game; it’s been impressive how he picks up the team. Immediately...
    We all know K is likely telling Cam to keep moving and keep shooting. It's a luxury for Cam to be able to stay calm while the rest of the team carries the load. It will happen, heck, it's happening!

Jack has this wonderful, "What, who, me?!" look when the refs decide they've seen something. Jack is a great tormentor. K has a team that has discovered the fun in bugging the holy hell out of opponents. It's hard work but when it pays off it's a blast.

And boy oh boy did the refs fall for some baloney from Childress last night. His father taught him well.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I want to highlight RJ's continued evolution as an effective distributor. Several times last night, and the game before, he drove into the teeth of the D, drew some help, and made an nice pass rather than force the issue at the rim. It is clear to me that the kid has watched film and is dedicated to improving his weak areas. He did have 4 turnovers last night, but he's cut down on the kamikaze rim runs while still putting big pressure on the D.

Obviously, Zion was brilliant. When 30-10-5 plus 3 3s feels like his normal game, something great is happening.

Blockadile Dundee is a Durham treasure.

Javin's consecutive field goals streak is a fun subplot to watch each game.

I though Bolden was very effective last night, and want to call out that really sweet McHale-esque double spin in the first half.

Our 3 point shooting will probably hurt us in a game this year...as Kedsy pointed out above, we may just have to live with 30%. Here's hoping our extremely high % of made 2s, our pace and our ability to create live ball turnovers (plus our defense) will mitigate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

Our 3 point shooting will probably hurt us in a game this year...as Kedsy pointed out above, we may just have to live with 30%. Here's hoping our extremely high % of made 2s, our pace and our ability to create live ball turnovers (plus our defense) will mitigate it.
    Cam's shooting struggles are well-documented, but one thing we haven't mentioned is how little offense Alex has provided off the bench. He's clearly the 8th guy in the rotation, which is totally fine given how well Marques and Jack are playing. But the 8th guy in the rotation has scored some incredibly important points for Duke in the past. Andre's shooting helped the 2010 team get past Baylor in the Elite Eight en route to winning the whole thing. And Grayson's heroics in 2015 are legendary. We know Alex is a capable shooter. It'd be awesome if he could get it going just a little bit more to give our bench another dimension. Obviously, it's hard to come into the game cold and be a knock-down shooter. But I think that if we are going improve from three, Alex has an important role to play.
    Who needs a moral victory when you can have a real one?

It's hard to watch a young player like Reddish struggle so much, but by the same token it will be rewarding when he does turn it around. It would be interesting to see an opponent's scouting report on Reddish. At this stage it might read something like: Prone to losing the ball in traffic. Force him to drive toward your help defense. Outside shot is erratic.

Watching the progress of White is like a trip back in time. Relative unknown arrives on campus, works hard and pays his dues for two seasons. Develops into a leader and solid contributor (and maybe more in the future). It's like re-visiting "the good old days", before the one and done era.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I turn old in june. it was a good run.
    I just read that Americans' perception of what age is old has increased by about five years, so I have transitioned from old to not old, for the time being anyway. I used to think 30 was old.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I just read that Americans' perception of what age is old has increased by about five years, so I have transitioned from old to not old, for the time being anyway. I used to think 30 was old.
    What a coincidence! Old is always at least five years older than me.

I feel bad for my brother. He’s ten years older than me. Must be tough to be old like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I want to highlight RJ's continued evolution as an effective distributor. Several times last night, and the game before, he drove into the teeth of the D, drew some help, and made an nice pass rather than force the issue at the rim. It is clear to me that the kid has watched film and is dedicated to improving his weak areas. He did have 4 turnovers last night, but he's cut down on the kamikaze rim runs while still putting big pressure on the D.

Obviously, Zion was brilliant. When 30-10-5 plus 3 3s feels like his normal game, something great is happening.

Blockadile Dundee is a Durham treasure.

Javin's consecutive field goals streak is a fun subplot to watch each game.

I though Bolden was very effective last night, and want to call out that really sweet McHale-esque double spin in the first half.

Yep, I said I thought the game against Clemson was one of Barrett's best performances of the year, and he's continued on that. He's cut down substantially on the REALLY inefficient shots in his repertoire, and that's good. He's still a pretty inefficient scorer (and that may always end up being true as the quality of competition increases) unless he vastly improves his shooting touch, as it is really hard to be an efficient scorer as a perimeter player unless you can shoot. But if he can not be a wildly inefficient scorer moving forward, that should be good enough with all the other stuff he brings to the table.

Agree on the 3pt shooting. We just don't have a good shooting team. The amazing thing is that a guy like Williamson (who might be the worst of our perimeter shooters) is still able to be uber-efficient, even though teams know what he wants to do. At least with Bagley, he hit a high percentage of the few 3s he attempted. Even with last night's game, Williamson is still shooting just 28% on 3s. It's really astounding how efficient he is given how much of the offensive burden he commands: a 136 ORtg with a 28.4% USG!!! It's one thing to be highly efficient on a very low volume (see Tyler Thornton). It's another to be taking roughly 1/3 of the team's possessions and still be that efficient. There just aren't enough superlatives to say about this guy.

And again, Tre Jones delivers a steady performance at PG. There is a very good chance he breaks the Duke single-season assist/turnover ratio this year. He's at almost double the all-time best (Wojo's ~3) right now. And on top of that, he's a beast defensively. I am loving his game so much.

I thought Reddish played better in the first half than he had in his previous few games, but he slumped again in the second half. Still, I'm glad to see him bounce back somewhat from his awful Clemson game. Hopefully this is baby steps of progress. We will need him eventually.

Loved the role players' contributions last night. Bolden, DeLaurier, and White contributed a combined 20 points, 23 rebounds, and 10 blocks!!! If they can keep stuffing the "little things" boxes like they are doing, this team is tough to beat.

All in all, a solid solid win. We were expected to win by 23 I think, and we won by 22. Can't complain about that. Plus, we got the road monkey off our back.

Now, on to a much bigger challenge with FSU in Tallahassee!