Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooting at Congressional baseball practice

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/14/politi...ing/index.html

Fortunately, if the initial reports are correct, neither any of the congressional staff nor the Capitol police were killed (nor was the shooter, who is in custody). Steve Scalise is apparently in surgery after being shot in the hip. Currently the motive for the shooting attack is unknown, however one congressman reports that he was asked about 4 or 5 minutes before the shooting started whether it was Republicans or Democrats practicing.

If, indeed, there was a political motivation to the attack, this speaks, I think, to the toxic political atmosphere in the country. It also further heightens my admiration for this community, on DBR, that, through tremendous efforts by the mods (particularly JE) as well as a general attempt by passionate and informed participants to maintain decorum and civility, that we could maintain an election thread through one of the most bizarre and contentious presidential elections of my lifetime without degenerating to the level of vitriol seen in our nation's politics right now.

Hopefully everyone involved in this incident will be okay, and the shooter will have his day in court.

It does not matter which jersey those players were wearing. This must stop! I'm very pleased the Capitol Police were present, but they may need to improve their marksmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    It does not matter which jersey those players were wearing. This must stop! I'm very pleased the Capitol Police were present, but they may need to improve their marksmanship.
    This. Thankfully, the shooter wasn't a better shot.

I really expected to hear about the London fire when I turned on the news this morning. This shooting was unexpected bad news.

I was reading a story the other day about the protests and counter protests in Portland where police have been seizing weapons from both sides. (bats, crowbars, bricks, stones, knives, mostly). It's just insane to think how inflamed the rhetoric has become that protestors are taking up arms against each other. We need to start putting valium in the drinking water or something.

That's about all I have to say about that. Crazy, insane, no good, horrible times we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I was reading a story the other day about the protests and counter protests in Portland where police have been seizing weapons from both sides. (bats, crowbars, bricks, stones, knives, mostly). It's just insane to think how inflamed the rhetoric has become that protestors are taking up arms against each other. We need to start putting valium in the drinking water or something.

That's about all I have to say about that. Crazy, insane, no good, horrible times we live in.
    Peace, love, and happiness are grossly underrated!

How stupid would a person have to be to think, if indeed that was the intention, that he could shift the balance in the Congress by killing some Republicans? Doesn't he know that anybody he killed would be replaced by another elected official? Generally, another Republican would be voted in to take the place of the deceased person.

But, more importantly, what a sad, sad situation where Congressman can't practice for a CHARITY softball game without having their lives endangered! It might come to the point where elected officials can never congregate anywhere except in the Congress where access can be controlled.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I'm very pleased the Capitol Police were present, but they may need to improve their marksmanship.
    What? These kinds of shootings in the USA regularly lead to a ton of people dead. This one didn't, because of the police. Not sure what you're getting at here.

Peace, love, and happiness are grossly underrated!
    Well, you got 2 outta 3:

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    How stupid would a person have to be to think, if indeed that was the intention, that he could shift the balance in the Congress by killing some Republicans? Doesn't he know that anybody he killed would be replaced by another elected official? Generally, another Republican would be voted in to take the place of the deceased person.
    did you just ask "how stupid..." about someone who chose to use a gun to commit mass murder? We are talking about someone who is clearly insane and has lost the ability to think rationally. Whether he was trying to tilt the balance of power in congress or venting revenge upon lawmakers he did not like, there is no planning or thought (that we can understand) in a crime like this. It is just a disturbed individual making terrible choices.

-Jason "I just hope no one tries to turn this into a political statement -- clearly, that man does not represent anything but the lunatic fringe where both sides have their problems (Portland stabbing)" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    And sadly, it's already turning into a political football.
    "Never let a good crisis go to waste" is a philosophy as old as time.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    did you just ask "how stupid..." about someone who chose to use a gun to commit mass murder?
    Yeah, good point. Pretty stupid of me to expect rational thought out of a guy who is clearly insane.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "I just hope no one tries to turn this into a political statement . . ." Evans
    I would recommend staying off Twitter for a few days.

This is all truly a clockwork turned orange.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I would recommend staying off Twitter for a few days.
    ... or a few years!

... or a few years!
    Are you recommending that to all of us, or just the President?

Well in the spirit of unity the game will go forward tomorrow evening. That's good. Target has offered to sponsor the Republican team.

OKAY, I AM JUST KIDDING!!! A good antidote to the vitriol mentioned upthread is humor (and dark humor is still humor. Though I realize that argument will be unconvincing to many.)

As an example of how everything in the world is connected, Simpson Field is reportedly the home baseball field for the T.C. Williams Titans, whose football team was the center of the movie, Remember the Titans. The high school campus is a couple of miles away
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    As an example of how everything in the world is connected, Simpson Field is reportedly the home baseball field for the T.C. Williams Titans, whose football team was the center of the movie, Remember the Titans. The high school campus is a couple of miles away
    Your choice of words is striking, given the issue of gun violence in this country. Perhaps with no other issue are the battles of causes and implications fought so ardently. My regret is that in our collective response we're either left with stupid jokes (ahem) or vacuous expressions of sympathy that are floated out into the ether to no substantive effect; we seem to get no mileage out of any other response. I think no matter where you stand on the issue, gun violence is emasculating to the entire nation. For me, when the victims are distant concerns, this is the emotion I feel most intensely, a sadness for where we are as a society. It's remarkable that the UPS shooting barely scratched the "what's trending" rankings. (I hope by talking about the issue as an issue I haven't crossed into the verboten by speaking that which should not be spoken*.)
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 06-15-2017 at 12:38 PM. Reason: *...in a manner of speaking

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    My regret is that in our collective response we're either left with stupid jokes (ahem) or vacuous expressions of sympathy that are floated out into the ether to no substantive effect; we seem to get no mileage out of any other response.
    Well, part of the reason is that it's the only issue I can think of where you're "not allowed" to discuss possible solutions after an event. After a terrorist bombing, you can discuss how to make national security better. After a bad hurricane, you can discuss how to make natural disaster relief better. After a recession, you can discuss the economic causes. But after a shooting, no one can discuss any of the potential causes or solutions without being accused of being political.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    But after a shooting, no one can discuss any of the potential causes or solutions without being accused of being political.
    I think you've hit the problem perfectly: its such a politicized issue, that all discussion (among people who can actually effect a change) is broken into distinct political camps and ends up leading nowhere.

The managers of the two teams held a joint press conference yesterday. It was moving and provides some hope that members of our two parties actually can like one another and work together. Our government could use more of the genuine warmth displayed by the two congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I think you've hit the problem perfectly: its such a politicized issue, that all discussion (among people who can actually effect a change) is broken into distinct political camps and ends up leading nowhere.

The managers of the two teams held a joint press conference yesterday. It was moving and provides some hope that members of our two parties actually can like one another and work together. Our government could use more of the genuine warmth displayed by the two congressmen.
    And it used to be like that all the time, with few exceptions. I understand that Barry Goldwater and Ted Kennedy were very fond of each other and had great respect for each other.