Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricanes 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Judging from the height of those trees, color me skeptical of the claim that this video was shot from a third-floor window.
    Yeah, that would put the storm surge over 25 feet.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Judging from the height of those trees, color me skeptical of the claim that this video was shot from a third-floor window.
    I’m not buying it either. Not unless the first 2 floors are underground.

But I am concerned about Wheat. The storm came ashore on the barrier island directly below his.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I’m not buying it either. Not unless the first 2 floors are underground.

But I am concerned about Wheat. The storm came ashore on the barrier island directly below his.
    From his vids, his house looked very structurally sound as he suggested. I'm less optimistic about his business building, though.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I've been texting with Wheat, who reported about 45 minutes ago that so far they're doing okay -- lots of damage around but their shop looks okay for now and they had no surge there yet, although the back side of the eye was just arriving and seemed "just as nasty as the front."

I've been texting with Wheat, who reported about 45 minutes ago that so far they're doing okay -- lots of damage around but their shop looks okay for now and they had no surge there yet, although the back side of the eye was just arriving and seemed "just as nasty as the front."
    Thanks for the update, Stray. Backside will probably be just as difficult as the front side for them.

All those in the path of this storm I hope for the best situations possible for all.
    Hard to watch people's lives and lively hoods get upended. My heartfelt condolences.

I'm with you on the skepticism on 3rd floor. Based on the trees I can believe 10'+ of water.

It is possible there is a hill involved and the trees are at a higher elevation than the building.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Good to hear, thanks.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I'm with you on the skepticism on 3rd floor. Based on the trees I can believe 10'+ of water.
    Regardless, that building along with any others there that faced any level of flooding are no longer habitable. I remember going in to one of the few high rises here in New Bern after Florence, and the stench of mold was overpowering.

It's going to be a very long clean up for those folks.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Regardless, that building along with any others there that faced any level of flooding are no longer habitable. I remember going in to one of the few high rises here in New Bern after Florence, and the stench of mold was overpowering.

It's going to be a very long clean up for those folks.
    For sure. It’s going to be devastating for folk in those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    It is possible there is a hill involved and the trees are at a higher elevation than the building.
    It's a beach in Florida. Probability of finding a hill is very low.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    It's a beach in Florida. Probability of finding a hill is very low.
    Fun fact: Florida is the state with the lowest high-point in it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    That's not saying much. Space Mountain is one the highest points in Florida. I forget whether it's the 3rd highest mountain, 5th, or whatever. They used to tell you on the old Peoplemover soundtrack.

My parents sold their house in this area a couple years ago, but my cousins retired there recently and would have gotten hit pretty hard. It's one of my favorite spots.

I used to live nearby and once made a day trip to "hike" to the top. The summit was about 50 feet from the parking lot. The views were majestic!

Here is a photo someone posted on Tripadvisor.

Britton Hill Florida.jpg

Does it go up or down by an inch or two every time Shaq enters or leaves the state?

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    That's not saying much. Space Mountain is one the highest points in Florida. I forget whether it's the 3rd highest mountain, 5th, or whatever. They used to tell you on the old Peoplemover soundtrack.

My parents sold their house in this area a couple years ago, but my cousins retired there recently and would have gotten hit pretty hard. It's one of my favorite spots.
    Hey! I tried to climb Britton Hill once, but passed out before I got to the summit. 😁

Went on Space Mountain once and swore if I got off without barfing I’d never do it again. True story. I get motion sickness very easily.

That’s how my life feels compared to others if I spend too much time on Instagram.

The weather patterns, phenomena, conditions, and brute strength and size of hurricanes fascinate me. But each year, seeing the devastation they wreak and havoc they cause on humanity is heartbreaking to me. They also sadly cause injuries and death. Mother Nature (similar to my mother-in-law and wife) is a wonderful but complicated force.

Please stay safe folks.

Highest point in my area is Mt. Pompano (owned & operated by Waste Management).