Couldn't figure out which thread this fit, so...

This doesn’t really fit “What are you reading” because I don’t expect anyone to run out and pick up a 40-year-old book. But I’ve been going through my “library”, figuring I should read what I’ve got before I go out and get more. Too much collecting, not enough reading.

So my latest victory (499 pages!) was over The Book of Lists #2 (published 1980). Under “6 Outrageous Plans That Didn’t Happen” they wrote:

"6. The Wired Nation
    In his book The Shadow Presidents, author Michael Medved relates the extreme disappointment of H. R. Haldeman over his failure to implement his plan to link up all the homes in America by coaxial cable. In Haldeman’s words, “There would be two-way communication. Through computer, you could use your television set to order up whatever you wanted. The morning paper, entertainment services, shopping services, coverage of sporting events and public events…Just as Eisenhower linked up the nation’s cities by highways so that you could get there, the Nixon legacy would have linked them by cable communications so you wouldn’t have to go there.” One can almost see the dreamy eyes of Nixon and Haldeman as they sat around discussing a plan that would eliminate the need for newspapers, seemingly oblivious to its Big Brother aspects. Fortunately the Watergate scandal intervened, and Nixon was forced to resign before “the Wired Nation” could be hooked up."

Coaxial cable…how quaint.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Coaxial cable…how quaint.
    This question might be somewhat afield from your point, but why do you regard coaxial cable as quaint?

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    This question might be somewhat afield from your point, but why do you regard coaxial cable as quaint?
    Ahh, you must not be on fiber.

I had the original Book of Lists - can't recall if I had #2 as well (speaking of "the library" ... heh heh)

yeah, fiber optics wouldn't have been around in Nixon's time ...
    but coax is still around for some.

I remembered the author's name (though not quite the spelling) - David Wallechinsky. Looking him and the book up on Wikip, I did not know he wrote the book(s) with his father and sister!

I had one of these books, and would read it on the long drive from Connecticut to Florida and back.

Also, just upgraded the connections on my TV-stereo arrangement from composite to component. High cotton, here.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Let's see. They're clearly horrified and paranoid (perhaps justified) about a plan that became commonplace less than 2 decades later, let alone what it is today. We've gone from cable to fiber optic to wifi, from televisions/desktops to laptops/tablets and phones/watches. Cable may not be a Model T, but it is certainly a Nash Rambler.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Let's see. They're clearly horrified and paranoid (perhaps justified) about a plan that became commonplace less than 2 decades later, let alone what it is today. We've gone from cable to fiber optic to wifi, from televisions/desktops to laptops/tablets and phones/watches. Cable may not be a Model T, but it is certainly a Nash Rambler.
    Nah. Most of the country will be on cable and 4G for a long, long time. Only dense, urban/suburban areas get fiber or will see 5G any time soon (regardless of ATT's new 5G designation).

And cable mostly has a fiber backbone, just not fiber into the home.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    ... fiber into the home ...
    Didn't George Thorogood sing that?

A guy who worked in the newspaper industry told me in 1989 that we'd be reading news on our computers and most newspapers as we knew them would be dead in ten years. Didn't happen as quickly as he predicted, but happened/happening. I remember scoffing.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Nah. Most of the country will be on cable and 4G for a long, long time. Only dense, urban/suburban areas get fiber or will see 5G any time soon (regardless of ATT's new 5G designation).

And cable mostly has a fiber backbone, just not fiber into the home.

-jk
    And most people are on wifi, using their phones for the original intent of the post. Can we agree that cell phone coverage is almost nationwide? Sheesh.

Edit: Mods, please delete the last 4 words of my original post.