Page 605 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 10550555559560360460560660761565570511051605 ... LastLast
Results 12,081 to 12,100 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Exactly what you would expect. Fantastic flavor from the bourbon barrel aging.
    If you have a bottle left, you are cordially invited to bring it to any 2017 football tailgate and share with a bunch of other Ymm, Beer participants. You'll be supremely pleased with the assortment of beers we sample on any given Saturday (or for a Thursday or Friday game).
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Avery Vanilla Bean Stout

Holy smokes, so good!

Smells and tastes like vanilla, caramel and bourbon.

Not to be missed.
    Hmmm, might have to get one of these this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Southern Tier has a new (at least new to me) one - Thick Mint.

Imperial Stout with chocolate and mint. It's labelled as a "dessert beer" and absolutely is.

Really good stuff. Basically tastes like a girl scout cookie in beer form. 10% ABV. Highly recommended.
    A group of Ymm, Beer participants sampled the After Dinner Mint from Raleigh Brewing Company a couple years ago. Tasted like a liquid Girl Scout Thin Mint cookie but not even 50% the ABV of the ST beer above. A lot of Southern Tier specialty/high gravity/dessert beers are almost over the top with sweetness and beg to be shared so I might be looking for this over the weekend. Nice review.

Haven't seen a review of this for several years. Positioned almost as a mead, based on a very old recipe that includes honey, saffron, barley and muscadine grapes. A beautiful gold color with very little head. A touch sweet, but dangerously easy-drinking at 9.0% ABV. A really interesting beer.
    I tried the search feature for about 9 years of Ymm, Beer and you are correct that it's been a while, if at all, since someone reviewed this fine ale. I may add this to the Avery and ST shopping list as above.

Brewed with lemons (surprise!). Pours a cloudy gold. Very little head to it. Soriachi hops and a proprietary yeast strain developed at State. Nicely balanced. 5.4% ABV. Probably a better summer beer than a March 31st beer. Stil a nice sipper.
    WTH? It was in the upper 70s in NC yesterday and today.

Parkway Brewing Company Get Bent mountain IPA

Worth it for the name alone.

An average beer. Nothing bad, nothing especially distinguishing.

A fun beer for all occasions.
    Waiting for mattman to Get Bent, too. Just for the name, of course.

If you had posted that today, I'd have never believed it. I even sent it to our son and younger daughter today and he thought it was an April Fool gag. Sadly, it's not.

Daughter: "I thought the only reason to drink bud was for the alcohol."

Son: "There's never any reason to drink bud."

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Umm, no.

Attachment 7313

Best I could do. There aren't many 20K milestones/events/photos but I will make it a devil of a review.

From 12/31/11:

Samael's Oak-aged Ale (batch 5, April, 2009)-Avery Brewing

Ahh, where to begin with this fabulous brew. Not sure it "fits" into the English strong ale category as Avery describes it but I'd have difficulty with characterizing it as any other type brew either. Guess it has features that make it resemble an IIPA, barleywine, Belgian triple and strong ale. And a sherry. Pours a slightly cloudy golden-orange hue with little head. Most ales this strong have next to no carbonation due to the high ABV, in this case not the 14.5% as they list on their site but an astounding 16.45% so it is pretty boozey but not fiery. The IBU are 41 so it is not a hop bomb but has some citrus notes of grapefruit and orange. Significant amount of malty sweetness (with Turbinado sugar added in the brewing process) in the form of light caramel and tofffee but not overly cloying. I split a 12 ounce bottle ($8 or 9) with my son one night this week to celebrate the Christmas season and all the children being around for several days with their new spouses, and his fiancee. Served slightly chilled in wine glasses, this makes a great after dinner drink or nightcap. I have 2 of these left, enjoying 1 last year to celebrate the 2010 NC (but I can't find my review anywhere. Unless I traded one with CB&B :ymblushing: .) and plan on keeping the other 2 for additional celebrations in the near or even distant future .

From last PM:

Samael's Oak-aged Ale (April, 2009 label/bottle dating)-Avery Brewing Company

It's the future and this bottle is mine, all mine.

Part of Avery's Demons of Ales Trilogy, along with Mephistopheles and The Beast.

Four ounces poured into a cordial glass at cellar temperature. Every bit as good as above, if not better after another 5+ years in the bottle/cellar. It really does resemble a dessert wine and is even boozier (not Boozer) than I remember. There's a fair amount of wood/oak perceived with this sipping but no bourbon as the label says oak chips added but not BBA. Also reminds me of an "imperial" Samichlaus which is "only" 14% ABV but more viscous/syrupy and smoother. Another ale that if you ever see and it's $10+/12 ounce bottle, you should purchase 4-6 bottles, sipping 1 each year for the duration of your supply.

Respectfully submitted for 20K credit at ricks68's urging/suggestion/insistence,

devildeac

Many cheers to all who participate on Ymm, Beer and DBR in general!!
    Congratulations devildeac!

They say its not the age, it's the mileage

Cheers to you for sustaining and curating a fun DBR beer thread community.

Here's to another 20,000!

Congratulations devildeac!

They say its not the age, it's the mileage

Cheers to you for sustaining and curating a fun DBR beer thread community.

Here's to another 20,000!

You are most welcome, and, I must say, it has been a great pleasure.

Deadwood Nitro (draft)-Lonerider Brewing

Two ounce sample after Mongo.

Dark, dark brown with a foamy, foamy head that took 15 minutes to disappear from my small sample. A lot of dark chocolate with a bit of booze on the nose with more dark chocolate, dark dried fruits, a dash of espresso and a very warming, whiskey-ish finish. IBUs listed on Untapped as 54, pretty standard for a RIS, with ABV on the electronic beer board and also on Untapped at 9.5%. I'd have greatly enjoyed a half pint of this after Mongo but I had no designated driver. A very good offering from the often pedestrian brews from Lonerider in Raleigh.

0e3aefa6214c52bcf83db25e9fa2d428_320x320.jpg

Chocolatized (winter 2016/17)-Pisgah Brewing

More liquid dessert in a glass.

Almost black pour with a modest mocha head. Sensuous aromas of semi-sweet chocolate and heavily roasted grains. Tastes of almost-burned, dark caramel, a little black strap molasses, more chocolate, hints of coffee and a warming, alcohol finish without any barrel aging. Estimated IBUs of 50 and the ABV on the bottle is 11%. I've got the other half of a bomber to finish tonight and may go hunting some brownies, blondies or chocolate chunk cookies to nibble with it.

Many thanks to ricks68 for including in his February delivery!

Raising a glass of Hop Drop N Roll in honour of our favorite Mt. Hatemore and beer patron, devildeac!

Not much can be said about HDNR that has not been said already.
    Brilliant beer in honour of a distinguished beverage connoisseur.

Cheers devildeac!

BBA Event Horizon

Pulled the Zags through. Now maybe it can be a mega-delicious Quack Attack beer.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Raising a glass of Hop Drop N Roll in honour of our favorite Mt. Hatemore and beer patron, devildeac!

Not much can be said about HDNR that has not been said already.
    Brilliant beer in honour of a distinguished beverage connoisseur.

Cheers devildeac!
    Many thanks again, especially for your friendship and continued tastings and musings here on Ymm, Beer, along with many others, too, of course.

Polishing off the second half of a Chocolatized bomber, leftover from last PM.

Pulled the Zags through. Now maybe it can be a mega-delicious Quack Attack beer.
    Continuing quite a trend here recently with BBA Sexual Chocolate, Chocolatized, Deadwood Nitro, BBA Event Horizon.

Finally had a SN sidecar.

A nice twist on the original SNPA.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Chocolatized (winter 2016/17)-Pisgah Brewing

More liquid dessert in a glass.

Almost black pour with a modest mocha head. Sensuous aromas of semi-sweet chocolate and heavily roasted grains. Tastes of almost-burned, dark caramel, a little black strap molasses, more chocolate, hints of coffee and a warming, alcohol finish without any barrel aging. Estimated IBUs of 50 and the ABV on the bottle is 11%. I've got the other half of a bomber to finish tonight and may go hunting some brownies, blondies or chocolate chunk cookies to nibble with it.

Many thanks to ricks68 for including in his February delivery!
    Correction: ABV is 11.2%.

Apologies. Carry on.

There appears to be not enough beer to float the Ducks past the Heels. :-( :-( :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Southern Tier has a new (at least new to me) one - Thick Mint.

Imperial Stout with chocolate and mint. It's labelled as a "dessert beer" and absolutely is.

Really good stuff. Basically tastes like a girl scout cookie in beer form. 10% ABV. Highly recommended.
    Bomber. Harris Teeter. $9. Next weekend. With family. Nice call.

Finally had a SN sidecar.

A nice twist on the original SNPA.
    Half the 6er of the SN Tropical Torpedo IPA in my beer fridge is for you.