Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Who wins ACC Coach of the Year? Has to be Coach Elko, right?
    No doubt...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    It's been an extraordinary season...and let's recap...this Duke team is fully the equal of UNC and Wake Forest...shoulda beaten the heels...no big gap in talent that I could see.
    Let's be clear, we beat the Heels... the refs took that one away...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    So...a question I've thought about throughout the season:

A: Do we now give Cut credit for leaving more in the cupboard than we thought?
    B: Or do we say yep, Cut had indeed "lost the room" (which was obvious to me but no one would admit).
    C: Both
    C: Both

Quote Originally Posted by triple duke View Post
    I will say, Cut had an eye for diamonds in the rough. But he did not know how best to use them. Reference: Jordan Moore, Brandon Johnson. One thing I will give Cut big credit for is utilizing our TEs; Elko and Johns would be best served to take a page from the old Cut playbook for TEs. Other than that, it’s inconceivable how we would ever get 8 wins this season?
    TEs do more than catch passes... On a number of plays yesterday afternoon, our TEs did an amazing job of pulling and blowing up a Wake defender to spring a RB for a big gainer...

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    While Elko deserves credit- the key this year was the emergence of Leonard as a high level QB who likes the big moment and the emergence of Moore as a big time receiver. You cannot win without an above average QB and a playmaker can make something out of nothing. Duke also was able to have enough depth to manage the inevitable injuries. A great year but every year is different. One key injury and everything can change.
    Leonard's emergence is largely due to a coaching staff that decided to trust him from game 1 to be aggressive and throw the ball downfield... A little trust goes a long way (no pun intended)...

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Elko has exceeded all expectations, except the ones we will now have for the future. Thank you sir, what will you do for me now?
    This is important to recognize... Our schedule next year (with Clemson, ND, FSU, UNC, NCState, Louisville, Wake, Pitt, UVa, Northwestern, UConn, and Lafayette) is more difficult than this season, thus it's entirely possible that we're better next year but end up with a worse record...

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post

This is important to recognize... Our schedule next year (with Clemson, ND, FSU, UNC, NCState, Louisville, Wake, Pitt, UVa, Northwestern, UConn, and Lafayette) is more difficult than this season, thus it's entirely possible that we're better next year but end up with a worse record...
    Next year’s schedule has a bunch of A list names, which might help with attendance and recruiting. This season, ND lost to Marshall, Carolina lost to Ga Tech, FSU lost to Wake, Lafayette lost to Georgetown. Lots of parity in college football. I’m happy to postpone my worries for a while.

Elko seems to emphasize basics a lot more than Cutcliffe did—maybe because he’d been a career assistant until getting the Duke job. And I REALLY liked how Elko has emphasized that until his last 2 jobs, he’d worked with guys who were more lightly recruited than the players on the other teams in their conferences. This led him to learn how to squeeze the best out of his guys. Which also works at higher levels, like at Texas A&M. As we’ve discussed at length, Cut’s teams started losing when he lost his top notch assistants, who were presumably the guys who’d be teaching the nuts and bolts.

It remains to be seen whether Elko has an ability to identify and recruit 3 star hs players who end up playing at an all conference level. This year’s high recruiting ranking is the result of his recruiting a large number of 3 star guys—they aren’t ranked individually any higher than the guys on Cut’s teams over the past decade. He recruited a whole bunch of NFL players to the A&M defense; that’s a different level of recruiting, but I’d bet he has an excellent eye for talent.

Judging from his terrific use of the transfer portal, his motivational skills which will likely lead to a lot of enthusiastic workouts between January and August, and his ability to get great performances out of guys who’d not previously been heralded as obvious starters, I’m quite optimistic.
    Last edited by johnb; 11-28-2022 at 10:14 AM.

portal work

^ yes, Elko's portal work was incredible, given the depths to which our program had sunk. Just look at the OL: consistent starters Lyttle and Harris came from modest backgrounds, the former (lowly) Colorado and the latter Arkansas St I believe.
    Then after McIntyre and Monk went down, we got great contributions from Burns (via Cornell) and Foley (via Holy Cross). We would have been hurting without these guys.

With our success this year, I would think we have much more portal credibility than before (fully knowing we can't get a lot of kids into school).

We also bolstered our needy defensive backfield via the portal...

I'm sure the staff is already hard at work on this...should they ask me, I'd request a couple of large, vicious, pass rushing defensive ends, and perhaps a linebacker or two.

Jacob Monk

anyone else notice how Jacob Monk snuck onto the field for the last snap on Saturday (he assumed a non combat position). Nice.

Did not see Monk. Is he visible on here -- not seeing him. They show last snap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoNse5qdTQ4

Maybe this was covered already, but is Pelino now the #1 kicker or is Ham still unavailable for unknown reasons?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    anyone else notice how Jacob Monk snuck onto the field for the last snap on Saturday (he assumed a non combat position). Nice.
    His dad Stanley often tailgates next to us and I asked him about Jacob before the game. "He'll be on the field today" was his reply.
    He didn't specify in what way, but he was right! That's pretty cool the way the staff got him out there, if for only that one moment.
    I'm hopeful he'll be playing in the bowl, he deserves it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Maybe this was covered already, but is Pelino now the #1 kicker or is Ham still unavailable for unknown reasons?
    Don't know, don't care. Pelino has impressed me, including a nice 42 yarder on Saturday.
    Whatever Ham's issues were, hopefully he's figured them out, but I don't want to see him back on the field unless Pelino is unavailable. He's a kicking hazard.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Ham did the kickoffs against WF.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Riley Leonard was named ACC QB of the week, as well as being named a Manning Award Star of the Week. Well earned!
    Darius Joiner was also named ACC Co-Defensive Back of the week.

I agree Elko is the only choice for ACC coach of the year. Who would his rivals be for national coach of the year? Kansas's coach (I don't know his name) would have been a candidate, but they got beat up in their conference, as would have Duke if they played in the Big 12. Maybe TCU's coach? Tulane had a pretty huge turnaround.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Don't know, don't care. Pelino has impressed me, including a nice 42 yarder on Saturday.
    Whatever Ham's issues were, hopefully he's figured them out, but I don't want to see him back on the field unless Pelino is unavailable. He's a kicking hazard.
    I offered this comment during the game:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Interesting that Charlie Ham is back but is only doing kickoffs. Todd Pelino is still doing extra points and field goals. Perhaps Coach Elko is looking to the future with the success (Freshman) Pelino has had since filling in for Ham during his 3-game absence. Pelino apparently needs to develop better distance on kickoffs, but is adequate for short and medium field goals. He has been accurate so far (4 for 5, including a 42-yarder today).
    I haven't seen or heard any comment from Elko or others on the situation but from what we see on the field, Ham's absence brought on the opportunity for Pelino, who has demonstrated his abilities enough to continue as Duke's #1 place kicker, but not (yet) for kick-offs. Pelino is 5 for 6 on FG's with a long of 42 yards.

I did my part, took the fam and my nephew (who is more of a UNC fan but he really enjoyed going to the Duke campus). Unfortunately he had acolyte duty at his church early the next morning so we had to take off at the start of the 4th to get him back before it was too late. They were all super dialed in and were disappointed when we had to go. When Duke came back and won, I got fussed at because they really wanted to see the end. At the very least, they are eager to go back next season for a couple of games.

I thought the crowd was pretty solid, the only part of the stands that was sort of sparse was some of the east side where the visitors normally sit. All the merch stands had a lot of traffice. one thing I was surprised is that most of it was Duke football. You'd think that makes sense, but the last time I was at WW, all the merch stands had lots of other Duke sports, and just regular Duke hoodies and sweats in addition to football merch.

The food offerings are just not great. Its the one thing I really miss pre-renovation. I get that some people felt that the county fair food truck feel was not befitting of a P5 team, I get that, but man the food was so much better.

In terms of the game. I thought Duke's offense was mostly on point, with WF unable to defend our WRs when they stretched the field. They did a decent job of containing the run, but a lot of those runs they stuffed went outside of the tackles. Between the tackles was much more successful. And man, I do not want to see any more swing passes. Riley lost 8 yards on that one he over threw. The best of the lot only got like 2-3 yards.

Defense did what they could. I hated that dropped INT in the 3rd. That could have changed the momentum going into the 4th. Hartman and his WRs know what they're doing and they know the routes they run. Some of those catches were reasonably defended.

I have to say I definitely enjoyed my first trip back in just over 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy12 View Post
    I agree Elko is the only choice for ACC coach of the year. Who would his rivals be for national coach of the year? Kansas's coach (I don't know his name) would have been a candidate, but they got beat up in their conference, as would have Duke if they played in the Big 12. Maybe TCU's coach? Tulane had a pretty huge turnaround.
    If UNC had actually closed out against GT and NCSU (or even just dropping the NCSU game) you could make an argument for Brown. I think we all have a distaste for the COTY award in MBB going to whoever it was that the media though was going to really be terrible and oh they won 20+ games and might make the NCAA tourney. It seldom rewards the guy that had the expectations and met or exceeded them. K should have won for 2010 and I think it was Sweaty Gary that won that year. UNC had a highly touted class, returning talent, and they were winning the games they lost last year. He'll get some votes but that 2 game losing streak isn't going to earn him much.

Mike Norvell deserves some recognition. FSU is actually starting to look like the program of old, even if they aren't there yet.

Key also deserves some for GT. Took a bad GT team and turned them around. Had they not lost to UVA and Miami, He'd have a real strong case.

In the end, its Elko. You can blame the schedule or whatever, but you have to win the games. Just as important, you have to look like you belong. Duke was in every game they played this year. After 2 years of having the doors blown off in almost every loss, this team fought and it cared and it believed. Thats a huge turnaround.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Did not see Monk. Is he visible on here -- not seeing him. They show last snap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoNse5qdTQ4
    He's there. Look at the last play, he is wearing #4, and lined up on the far side of the line (might #4 have been his father's number?)...you can see the name on the back of his jersey...

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Ham did the kickoffs against WF.

Believe he was also recognized for senior day, right?

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    . I think we all have a distaste for the COTY award in MBB going to whoever it was that the media though was going to really be terrible and oh they won 20+ games and might make the NCAA tourney. It seldom rewards the guy that had the expectations and met or exceeded them. K should have won for 2010 and I think it was Sweaty Gary that won that year. UNC had a highly touted class, returning talent, and they were winning the games they lost last year. He'll get some votes but that 2 game losing streak isn't going to earn him much.
    I have a different view about Coach K and the ACC COY award for the last 12 years-- he outgrew it. After he became coach of Team USA and won the Olympics, he was the best-known, most celebrated, and arguably the best basketball coach on planet Earth. Give someone else the ACC award.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I have a different view about Coach K and the ACC COY award for the last 12 years-- he outgrew it. After he became coach of Team USA and won the Olympics, he was the best-known, most celebrated, and arguably the best basketball coach on planet Earth. Give someone else the ACC award.
    I get that, but it's still nice to recognize a job well done when it's earned. I doubt he cared, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I get that, but it's still nice to recognize a job well done when it's earned. I doubt he cared, but still.
    How dare you argue with me when I am pontificating!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    How dare you argue with me when I am pontificating!
    It's the internet. It's what I live for!